The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

5 years from now, how big?

I lifted for almost 1 1/2 years and got up to 185lbs at ~10-12% BF. My lifts weren't huge by any means (205 BP, 315 Squat, 350 DL), but I was the leanest I think I have ever been and the most in shape.

I am not there right now, and in fact I am pretty out of shape. I started back up and hope to frequent here to gain motivation and keep me in the gym. My finance is also offering her support. I am interested though, at my height ( 5'9") what weight range could I reach naturally in 5 years or more? I have seen some pretty lean mean lifters my height at 190, so that is possibly doable, but how about 200lbs? Whats your guess on the lowest BF% I would have to have at that weight?

I'm not just curious though, I would like to have an absolute goal. Some guys might tell you there are no limits, but I think there is at some level, your body only makes so much testosterone, can only put on and maintain so much muscle, etc. I would like to keep it below 15%, but I think there is something about being at the 200 mark.

What say you?

edit: just wanted to add that I am currently 200lbs with a pretty high BF% (22-25% likely, yes fat) and I am getting married on May 25th. We are planning on a Caribbean honeymoon so I would like to be fit and trim (aiming for 175) so assume the 5 years starts after I reach 175.
    Last edited by Teutates; 09-12-2007 at 10:11 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

it all depends on how you do it how consistent you are your genetics.
    if it was me i would go down to a low body fat then start a clean bulk in 5 years i would say you COULD be 210 at a low bodyfat. thats if all the variables are correct. I am 200 at roughly 14% bf at 17
    I believe that when the body is strong, the mind thinks strong thoughts. Time spent away from the Iron makes my mind degenerate. I wallow in a thick depression. My body shuts down my mind.

JOURNAL LONG ROAD TO STRENGTH! CHECK IT OUT
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...90#post1999490

Impossible to answer.

5 years is too long a timeframe. Set short term goals that map to a long-term goal.

Your post is somewhat confusing but essentially you're asking if you can go from 175 to 200lbs in 5 years, (assuming you mean without adding "fat"). That's basically 5lbs of muscle per year for the next 5 years.

Is that doable? Yes. (Probably also depending on your age.) Read the stickies at the top of this board to find out what to eat and how to lift.

The bigger question you have is that you want to be "lean". Everyone defines that word differently for themselves. Eating right will be key.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Theres really no way to tell, too many variables and some of them you just can't control. Even if you do everything so as to maximize gains you might never be as lean or as big as some people your height / weight just because of genetics and age, theres really no way to tell how big and how lean you can get before having to turn to juice. But given your previous gains, I would assume you know what your doing and I think you could probably hit 200 and still stay lean. Set short term goals, personally I think you'll achieve a lot more that way.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 09-12-2007 at 11:19 AM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Wannabebig Member
    I have a spreadsheet made (I make spreadsheets for everything, lol)that has my weekly goals all the way until the big day. Weight goals, lift goals, running goals, etc.

I've gone from 140lbs at 5'9 to almost 210 at the same height in 3 years of lifting. I wouldn't consider myself the least bit fat. I'm definitely under 15%. Like you said, it depends on your testosterone, diet, and other factors, but being 200 at your height is certainly doable, and well within 5 years at that.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle