The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Core Muscle training

I was wondering if you guys have any good resources for Core muscle training. Ive just been reading about it a bit lately and i feel that is an area ive been seriously neglecting in my work outs. Since I am a tall guy with a long torso and I feel as though working that area would be very important for me.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Squat, deadlift and some heavy weighted ab work.

Train your abs in the same rep range as you would any other muscle... I don't wanna see you doing any sets of 50 situps or anything dumb like that.
    Full Powerlifting
    Squat - 595lbs -- 270kg -- Dec. 31, '09 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Bench - 374lbs -- 170kg -- Dec 20, '08 (@100kg class)
    Dead - 589lbs -- 267.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @100kg class)
    Total: 1537lbs -- 697.5kg -- Dec 20, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)
    Bench Only -- 358lbs -- 162.5kg -- Nov. 25, '07 (Provincial Record @ 90kg class)
    Bench Only -- 376lbs -- 171kg -- Jan. 26, '08 (Provincial Record @ 100kg class)

chinups, standing overhead press, and overhead squats will give your abs a good workout as well.

once or twice a week is fine for abs. find a few different exercises you like and rotate between them.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

Learning as I progress
    I have NEVER felt my abs working in a squat or deadlift, but thats not to say they arent working them.

Just for reassurance, I like weighted crunches, and lyying leg lifts.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Go Nets
    Quote Originally Posted by Con View Post
    I have NEVER felt my abs working in a squat or deadlift, but thats not to say they arent working them.

Just for reassurance, I like weighted crunches, and lyying leg lifts.
    That's because you're not lifting enough.

P.S. Those workouts are only HALF core training.

OP, Overhead squats and standing military presses in combination with the 'big 3' that I'm sure you are already doing is plenty.

My core gets hit really hard in front squats and any sort of overhead pressing movement as mentioned above
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by phatmonky View Post
    That's because you're not lifting enough.

P.S. Those workouts are only HALF core training.
    First, Lifting "enough" is all relative to the person.

Second, how the hell do you know how much I lift? Cant be my old journal...

Third, what is this magical number to start working your core?

Watchya talkn bout willis
    just a little FYI to the OP:

my abs are sore (and I mean sore) from yesterdays workout of military press, pullups, and deadlifts. The military press is really good one. I know that soreness isn't an indicator of how good the workout was but if they weren't getting hit at all they wouldn't be sore.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

WBB's Juggernaut/Liason BigCorey75's Avatar
    The only place where you can mix Alcohol and Live Ammunition and its called a "Family Outing", Texas
    The Core is probably the most often incorrectly term used in weightlifting. when most people say core they mean the trunk. the core consist of the abs and mainly the hips, glutes and lower back, which are greatly strnegthen by lots of squats and deadlifts and their many variations

but in this case im guessing your talking about abs (the trunk) in that case i say just do a lot of standing exercises without belts, over head pressing squatting deadlift and all types of things this will require lotys of stabilization and will strengthen your trunk

if u want to do crunches thats kool as well, i woudlnt get too carried away with weighted ab exercises, the abdominals have a limited capacity for strength and size development.

its beenn said before and it will continue to be said as long as threads like these are made, "Abs are built in the kitchen"

clean up the diet, add cardio here and there and lift heavy that should get you there
    Why live if one can not Deadlift?- John Paul Sigmasson

Accept that which is useful and reject what is not- Bruce Lee

Reason and Logic trump religion- Me

Restriction of education, Censorship of knowledge, and Proliferation of religion helps keep the masses tamed- Me

"Money does not fix everything, Smart fixes everything"

Compounds, only after squatting and deadlifting did I get the bottom abs to start coming in. I can feel my abs tightening...hard on every rep when I deadlift, I feel it for squats as well but more so for deads. Cleans, presses, rows, deads, squats, and I think most of the exercises that require you to move your bodyweight around eg. pullups. Theres a lot of isolation exercises for abs, do them heavy enough to keep the reps low...lol don't be the cardio jocky doing 50 situps.
    Last edited by lakeripple; 09-12-2007 at 07:06 PM.
    Goal: Set a deadlift provincial record in mens junior.

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCorey75 View Post
    The Core is probably the most often incorrectly term used in weightlifting. when most people say core they mean the trunk. the core consist of the abs and mainly the hips, glutes and lower back, which are greatly strnegthen by lots of squats and deadlifts and their many variations

but in this case im guessing your talking about abs (the trunk) in that case i say just do a lot of standing exercises without belts, over head pressing squatting deadlift and all types of things this will require lotys of stabilization and will strengthen your trunk

Didnt know that. Thanks

Heavy throws, oly lifts, overhead lifts, front squats, and deadlifts. That's all the "core" work you need. If you want you can do some direct stuff too but keep it heavy and low reps like deeder and nhlfan said.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeripple View Post
    Compounds, only after squatting and deadlifting did I get the bottom abs to start coming in. I can feel my abs tightening...hard on every rep when I deadlift, I feel it for squats as well but more so for deads. Cleans, presses, rows, deads, squats, and I think most of the exercises that require you to move your bodyweight around eg. pullups. Theres a lot of isolation exercises for abs, do them heavy enough to keep the reps low...lol don't be the cardio jocky doing 50 situps.
    The "bottom" abs don't "come in". The abdominals are all one unit. You probably started to lose some fat in that area after leaning out and gaining more musculature there.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig Member
    Squat, Lunge, DL, believe it or not one of the best ab and core exercises is hitting the heavy bag. But you can't just do arm punches. Concentrate on rotating the body and swiveling the hips when punching. You don't even have to punch that hard and the next day my abs, shoulders, chesst, arms, all are sore.