Thread: How many sets should a beginner do?

Wannabebig Member

How many sets should a beginner do?

Im doing reps of ten but, working each muscle three times a week. How many sets of ten reps should I do for each muscle?

You should do 2 sets of 12-15 reps for each muscle group each time you train.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

At work I train beginners with 3 sets 10-12 reps. 2 exercises per muscle group. I make them do really light weight too. They do this for 2 weeks then I make a split for them, 4 or 5 days.

You only have them do that for 2 weeks? Man, I'd have'em do it for at LEAST 4-6.

"Success is never behind you, it is always, always in front of you."

I would say start with your main program...just go easy for 2-3 weeks. I don't know why you need a program just to get you ready for your program. IMHO, you will get good at your program if you train in it...regardless of what level you are at.
    Deadlifts are like women, they'll hurt you everytime, but they'll also make you a man. - Me

Friends don't let friends do dumbell kickbacks. - Me

ElP is the smartest man in the world. - Gyno Rhino

A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls. -- Dan Quayle

If do right, no can defense. -- Mr. Miyagi

Deep Thoughts by Jack Handey:

I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Is there anything more beautiful than a beautiful, beautiful flamingo, flying across in front of a beautiful sunset? And he's carrying a beautiful rose in his beak, and also he's carrying a very beautiful painting with his feet. And also, you're drunk.

Current FFFA Enforcer

2 weeks is the very least. Some people need more, I know of one client who is in really bad shape that she could only do one set of one workout. She was sweating and heart heart was beating extremly fast. She is also very obese. But 2 weeks on a low weight high rep routine is suffice for most people. Get them on machines first and then eventually pry them away from machines to free weights, mainly for legal reasons in case they end up hurting themselves and try to sue. but anyway.

El Pietro, yes that would work for you or me or anyone else on this board. BUt you have to realize I work at a gym and when you train people at a business there are certain things you can't normally do because of lawsuits etc. For people that have never touched a weight before its good to get them started on a simple routine (simple to us at least). Need to help them learn the exercises, let there muscles get used to working out, and help develop there neurological side of lifting. Its just differnet when you train people as a business.
    Last edited by TreeTrunks; 03-07-2002 at 12:08 PM.