Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help on a workout routine

Wannabebig Member

Need help on a workout routine

Hey, I have a few questions on a workout routine.

I saw this 300 workout exercise and I've currently been doing this the past week (altered slightly, been doing the bench in replace of push ups) and it seems great. Works out different parts of the body and also increases endurance.

However, I was wondering if I should do this, or create a 4-5 day routine that targets a specific area. For example, day 1 would be chest, 2: bi/triceps, 3: back, 4: shoulders, etc. For some background, I'm 190 pounds, 6'0, and I never really been serious on muscle gaining however I am determined to change.

Besides this, I need to run to lose my stomach and oblique fat cause it's starting to become noticeable, lol. So what do you think, stick with the 300 workout, or create a routine to target single areas per day?

General of Froot Soldiers TwiloMike's Avatar
    I'm not familiar with the 300 routine (mind posting it?), but as far as your stomach fat... if you're bulking then it's pretty much inevitable that you'll acquire some. To lose your stomach fat you need to consume less calories than you spend... but if you do that your muscle gains will pretty much stop. It's one or the other for the vast majority of people.
    Homer Simpson - "The code of the schoolyard, Marge! The rules that teach a boy to be a man. Let's see. Don't tattle. Always make fun of those different from you. Never say anything, unless you're sure everyone feels exactly the same way you do."
    www.dictionary.com (for all your spell-checking needs)
    My picture thread- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=78235
    My journal- http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=77712
    Viking Warlord- "You can't motorboat a personality".
    Built- "See, truly artful copy-paste isn't random. You need to know WHAT to copy before you go pasting..."

Wannabebig Member
    I linked it, but heres the direct url: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y4j6Z_DNLkc

As for the stomach fat, it's not horrible, but its noticeable with no definition whatsoever. I'm currently not trying to bulk up per say, more so trying to get extremely cut first. After working out I usually do 15 minutes of cardio everyday, and Ive been eating better and less then I did before working out. I plan once I get cut and have definition, to start gaining muscle mass.

Banned
    Bro......please drop the 300 workout crap. That is another fad workout that made its way into Muscle and Fitness after that frickin movie came out with 300 ripped ass dudes in it. you said it yourself that you were never really serious about gaining muscle before but are determined to change.......well congrats on your first step. DO NOT FALL INTO THE FAD WORKOUT TRAP!!!!!

my advice to you would be to check out Mark Rippetoe's "Starting Strength" or Bill Starr's Novice 5x5 routine. Being a beginner, if you eat like an animal and use good quality supplements, either of these routines will do wonders for you. I suggest looking them up and using one of them. If you have never serioulsy weight trained before, the 300 workout is not going to turn you into a spartan. You need to focus on building a solid foundation and learning the ins and outs of the big compund movements. you bulk for on eyear and do everything right and i would bet you add 30 lbs to your frame. then and only then should you consider cutting.

build that base first then cut!!!!! i wish i would have known this when i first started. it would have put me years ahead of where i am now. Good luck Bro!!!

Wannabebig Member
    Hm, you really think the 300 workout is crap? It worked for the actors who needed to look good as spartans and it worked good for that guy I posted the link for. Actually, if you watch the end, it shows him at the start before the workout and how he ended up. The way I look now, looks almost exactly how he looked when starting off.

Also, by bulking, do you mean i should actually gain more weight then my current 190 pounds?

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=uy2ElkOuN...elated&search=
    There is alot more to what they were doing to look like that. In reality they were primarily using GymJones who is a "reseller" of the CrossFit systems. Also their diet was perfect and there supplement/drug intake was also adding to their performance.

If you want real results read all the stickies on the pages, read everything in Builts signature and ScarzOfPain's signature then read a couple of the countless threads about routines.

Also check out www.crossfit.com
    http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...fit&search=tag
    Last edited by nddillon; 09-14-2007 at 01:13 AM.
    Nobody has all the answers. Nobody can experience everything. Nobody knows everything.
    Unless you are a Nobody...Ask, Read and Learn

Banned
    yes its crap. it wasnt the workout that worked for the actors.....it was the ****ing roids, diuretics, and having a personal trainer up their ass about every single aspect of their diet and training.

for you to want to gain definition first, then start gaining muscle- its the wrong approach my friend. if you want to gain muscle you need to heed my advice. if you want to lose weight and get cut, well you need to cut. however, if you dont have any muscle under there, cutting isnt gonna do jack **** for you. it will just make you look skinny and you will lose all the strength you have now.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Built View Post
    It's crap. Seriously.

What are your particular goals? Are you just looking to cut a bit?

How's your diet?
    One of my main goals is to lose all the excess fat around my stomach and obliques. However, I also want to gain muscles. I was planning on just getting cut and losing as much body fat as possible, and then start bulking up for greater muscle mass.

edit: and from the looks this is the wrong approach. Right now, I have no definition or muscles, so cutting would probably do me nothing right now. So basically I should just bulk and gain as much muscle mass as possible, then once im satisfied with my look then you begin to cut to really define the muscles?

As for eating habits, I use to eat like crap, however I cut down on pretty much all junk food. for example, today I had oatmeal with a glass of OJ, macaroni and beans with 2 pieces of wheat bread, protein shake, bowl of cereal, and a yogurt. for drinks I either have Vitamin Water, 100% juices, milk, or just regular water.
    Last edited by SHU327; 09-14-2007 at 01:20 AM.

Banned
    alright bro i feel your frustration. now, it IS possible to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. I have personally done it. however, the progress is SLOW AND PAINFUL AS ****!!!!! you really have to be strict on your diet and find that good balance of cardio work and weight training to make it happen. it CAN happen but i personally dont think it is worth it.

if I were YOU i would concentrate on a good clean bulk. now since you have never really trained seriously before, by starting now, if you eat alot of good foods and use big compound movements, you are going to see great gains. now- that fat you have now, just ****ing forget about it and concentrate on building mass. that fat is gonna start appearing to be less and less the more muscle you gain. you will probably keep that fat and maybe even put some more on, but because you are gaining muscle mass it will create the illusion of less bodyfat. are you trackin?

you gotta pick one way or the other bro. but, if you are dead set on doing both at once, it is possible but i think its a waste of time. if you have your mind made up, this is what worked for me. Check out MAX-OT by AST Sports Science. There is an entire workout routine, supplement guide, and cardio guide. i did great with it but i wish i would have just concentrated on building that big solid base first.

Wannabebig Member
    I see 7six, I personally think I have a good natural build. I've eaten like crap with little to no exercise for a long time and I am still only 190 pounds, though my endurance is absolutely horrendous.

I think the way to go would be to continue bulking and weight training. If I begin to cut I can see myself just losing strength and possibly just getting skinnier with no muscles.

However, I plan to increase stamina and endurance as well. I know weight training will help this, but usually cardio helps increase things like speed, stamina, and endurance. This is such a dilemma! lol

Banned
    hey man its only as much of a dillema as you make it. set realistic short term goals for yourself and DO NOT compare yourself to anyone else. you/me- we will never look like a spartan, just a bigger and stronger us!

endurance is your problem huh? well, putting on muscle is probably the best way to begin improving overall health. more muscle = more test, less fat, higher metabolism, self confidence, well being, etc etc

you will do fine man just follow a good routine

best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by SHU327 View Post
    I see 7six, I personally think I have a good natural build. I've eaten like crap with little to no exercise for a long time and I am still only 190 pounds, though my endurance is absolutely horrendous.

I think the way to go would be to continue bulking and weight training. If I begin to cut I can see myself just losing strength and possibly just getting skinnier with no muscles.

However, I plan to increase stamina and endurance as well. I know weight training will help this, but usually cardio helps increase things like speed, stamina, and endurance. This is such a dilemma! lol
    Recently I added 1 5k a week and 1 day of sprints and I found my endurance has improved dramatically over a short period of time. So you don't really have to do much if you have a good weight training program.

I also want to add that most of the actors/stuntmen in 300 were already in decent shape, throw in hours of workouts and fighting choreography, with a great diet plan, and they're going to look a lot better in a short period of time then the average joe that has a "real" life.
    Last edited by LouPac; 09-14-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    SHU327, www.fitday.com

Enter a few days' food and post up the average. We start there.
    Hm, I'm not really a big fan of tracking everything.. but here's somewhat of the way I have been eating the past few days give or take, and just add a protein shake with 2 scoops of whey protein per day as well: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/DayFoodsTab.asp

That's not how you link it.

Just run a report and post up the average - like this (these are mine from this week):

Total: 1751
    Fat: 70 627 38%
    Sat: 12 109 7%
    Poly: 7 65 4%
    Mono: 13 115 7%
    Carbs: 130 402 24%
    Fiber: 29 0 0%
    Protein: 158 633 38%

Just FYI: not being a fan of tracking is right up there with not being a fan of getting results.

Just FYI: not being a fan of tracking is right up there with not being a fan of getting results.

Alright now B. You know that's not true. I don't track anything other than my workout and I still have decent results.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Wannabebig Member
    Well, the reason I am beginning to develop a gut was because I ate too much mixed with eating unhealthy foods (fast food, frozen food, soda, etc.) and I never worked out or did cardio, and this went on for years, however because of my natural build that im lucky for, I never gained alot of weight, I just suffered from having abysmal endurance and stamina and only recently I noticed my gut getting bigger.

So I've decided to cut out all junk food and soda. I just plan to eat less then I did, eat much healthier, and have a constant weight training everyday and I think this will help me lose some of the gut without really worrying about counting every calorie.

Wannabebig Member
    Okay, so for yesterday, here's an example:

Total: 1208
    Fat: 8 71 6%
    Sat: 2 19 2%
    Poly: 3 23 2%
    Mono: 2 19 2%
    Carbs: 254 962 82%
    Fiber: 13 0 0%
    Protein: 35 139 12%

Again, it's probably not 100% accurate and it doesn't account for my protein shakes.

You want a good workout, get the book called "The new rules of lifting", best workouts EVER, (imo).

You need a LOT more protein in your diet and a LOT less carbs. No wonder you're battling fat. Read Built's signature link to MMM Fat and Diet.

You should be getting at least one gram of protein per 1 pound of lean body mass... preferably more.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by SHU327 View Post
    Okay, so for yesterday, here's an example:

Total: 1208
    Fat: 8 71 6%
    Sat: 2 19 2%
    Poly: 3 23 2%
    Mono: 2 19 2%
    Carbs: 254 962 82%
    Fiber: 13 0 0%
    Protein: 35 139 12%

Again, it's probably not 100% accurate and it doesn't account for my protein shakes.
    Now re-do it with your shakes included.

"unhealthy" food doesn't make you fat. Eating more calories than you need does.

Quote Originally Posted by 7six2 View Post
    yes its crap. it wasnt the workout that worked for the actors.....it was the ****ing roids, diuretics
    Uh, how do you know they were on it? Most of them came into the training already big and ripped. Check out GymJones.com , Mark Twight knows what he is doing. What is wrong with the workout? It is like a 45 minute crossfit. I don't understand the animosity towards this workout. Besides, that was not the only training they did. I was just under the impression it was a decent workout to mix with crossfit types.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Wannabebig Member
    Should I just use the WBB 1.1 routine?

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=314