Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mad Overhead strength c/o Crossfit San Francisco

Banned

Mad Overhead strength c/o Crossfit San Francisco

Found this on the Crossfit site: http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...OHStrength.wmv

Highlights: pistols w/weight overhead, walking with 225 overhead, tire dragging with 225 overhead

Last edited by RedSpikeyThing; 09-14-2007 at 08:33 AM.

Very impressive! Especially the pistols.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

I think that is some cool stuff and a solid accomplishment, but it doesn't impress me tremendously. Those guys have excellent shoulder flexibility and have trained for the lifts. They don't take tremendous overall bodily strength, they are more lifts of skill.

Anyway, not to be a hater, the lifts are cool and impressive.

Chris
    Last edited by chris mason; 09-14-2007 at 08:38 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    I think that is some cool stuff and a solid accomplishment, but it doesn't impress me tremendously. Those guys have excellent shoulder flexibility and have trained for the lifts. They don't take tremendous overall bodily strength, they are more lifts of skill.

Anyway, not to be a hater, the lifts are cool and impressive.

Chris

Chris,

How could they not take tremendous overall bodily strength?

Superior core strength.
    Superior shoulder stability.
    Superior lower back and hip flexibility and mobility.
    Superior leg strength.

A one legged overhead barbell squat is not feat of strength?

I'd love to see you train this lift and post a clip up after 3-6 months of solid training.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

That is amazing. Vids like this are what is pushing me more towards adding crossfit into my training.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Guys like that piss me off. I'd really like to try those but I don't want the custodian to find my dead body in the weight room the next day with my arms lying beside me...
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
    Chris,

Superior core strength.
    Superior leg strength.

I'd love to see you train this lift and post a clip up after 3-6 months of solid training.
    Can that guy put on 200lbs of ammo and armor and run for 5 miles down a street in Baghdad?

Strength is a relevant term. Those are very strong lifts but I think Chris' point is that they targeted their lifting specifically to perform these feats.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Bikkstah View Post
    Can that guy put on 200lbs of ammo and armor and run for 5 miles down a street in Baghdad?
    For the record, a lot of the CrossFit guys are Rangers, Green Berets, Navy Seals, Special Ops, etc. I'm sure they're some of the best soldiers. I've met a few guys around Wilmington that do CrossFit that are military and in phenomenal shape.

Also, CrossFit really stresses the importance of developing all aspects of fitness, and being able to compete in just about any physical task. The "CrossFit elite" have a much better chance at performing any random physical task than people that train under just about any other program. I wouldn't count on this person only being skilled in this movement. It's probably one of the many, many lifts and physical talents that he has.

This stuff, alone, is less impressive to me than a 1,000 lb squat is, but I know that these guys can do so many other lifts, have great metabolic conditioning, etc, etc, which to me is incredibly impressive.
    Last edited by KingJustin; 09-14-2007 at 09:44 PM.

Strength is a relevant term. Those are very strong lifts but I think Chris' point is that they targeted their lifting specifically to perform these feats.
    200lbs? I watch a ton of military shows on tv and I've never heard of any soldier regularly carrying 200lbs of gear. A soldier carrying 200lbs of anything might as well not even have a rifle, he's a sitting duck.
    Last edited by HahnB; 09-14-2007 at 09:48 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Did doing crossfit workouts-of-the-day get these guys to the point they are at?
    The Iron never lies to you. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go, but 200 pounds is always 200 pounds - a warm-up.

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    200lbs? I watch a ton of military shows on tv and I've never heard of any soldier regularly carrying 200lbs of gear. A soldier carrying 200lbs of anything might as well not even have a rifle, he's a sitting duck.
    What military shows? They never even show people wearing body armor on shows like mail call and ****. My body armor is 85lbs with armor piercing plates. I've got a kevlar helmet, 6L CamelBak, 1500 rounds of 5.56mm ammo, M-249 machine gun, various tools/trinkets. I carry 3-4x as much ammo as a standard rifleman but that's my load. And yes, we are sitting ducks. They want to give us leg armor and masks too. There are some small guys (<5' tall) who have compressed spines from wearing this ****. As I mentioned in another thread, my knees are all dicked up from it.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by KingJustin View Post
    For the record, a lot of the CrossFit guys are Rangers, Green Berets, Navy Seals, Special Ops, etc. I'm sure they're some of the best soldiers. I've met a few guys around Wilmington that do CrossFit that are military and in phenomenal shape.
    Well if they're SEALS then they can't be the best Soldiers because only the Army employs Soldiers. The Navy hires Sailors. I would never accuse Rangers, Army SF or SEALs of being out of shape but some of them were trained and served before the era of armor neck to toe and tons and tons of water and ammo. My old man went out into the bush in Vietnam with one canteen (1 Quart) of water and 5 mags of ammo (100 rounds) for a typical patrol.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Combat Infantryman
    This is the basic armor set-up now minus helmet and camelbak/backpack/asspack. ammo pouches clip onto the armor itself. A few more pieces and a mask and I'll finally become the cyborg warrior I've always dreamed of becoming.

The cock plate is the only piece without a plate in it. I got shot in the cock
    Last edited by Bikkstah; 09-14-2007 at 10:44 PM.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Just go ahead and say it, Bikkstah. You're in better shape than these elite Crossfitters. They wouldn't stand a chance doing what you're doing, right?

I mean, how the hell do you even know what they're capable of? You can make that judgment from one video? A guy who can push press 225 lbs, let alone walk around with it overhead is pretty strong in my book. And having seen other videos from Crossfit SF, I can vouch for the guy in red having great muscular endurance too. So if this guy is both strong, with great muscular endurance and cardiovascular fitness, what the hell makes you think he can't do what you do? What makes you better than him?

Hell, being able to squat 800 lbs doesn't mean you stand a chance of running 5 miles down a street carrying 200 lbs so I don't know what you're talking about when you say they target their lifting for these feats. For one thing, Crossfitters don't target their training towards any one thing or goal; they train for anything you could possibly throw at them, and another thing: what the hell kind of training are you talking about that would better prepare you for the aforementioned weighted run? Powerlifting where you're squatting down about three inches in a suit? Bodybuilding where you're isolating a muscle group to make it appear bigger? I can't think of any better way of training to accomplish such a feat, even though I'm 90% you're exaggerating quite a bit.

Combat Infantryman
    I didn't make any claim to my fitness. I said that strength is based on what you use and require strength for. I never said I was better than anyone. I'm neither a powerlifter nor a bodybuilder. Nowhere did I say that these men were weak or bad shape. Let me get you a stool so you can hop off that high horse. They don't lift to improve their ability to perform these lifts? So they can just walk up to 250lbs and C&P and walk around with the weight above their head without breaking their wrists, having never done it before? Or they C&P regularly as part of their training routine? Which one is it? They are naturally this strong or they strength train in order to perform these movements?
    Last edited by Bikkstah; 09-14-2007 at 10:56 PM.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Guys like that piss me off. I'd really like to try those but I don't want the custodian to find my dead body in the weight room the next day with my arms lying beside me...
    haha that made me lol

Quote Originally Posted by detard
    That is amazing. Vids like this are what is pushing me more towards adding crossfit into my training.
    me too. I almost did the WOD today. Too bad I'm so unmotivated....

I may add it in on my mid-week off day, though.

So you're not making any claim to your fitness, and yet you claimed that they would be unable to "put on 200lbs of ammo and armor and run for 5 miles down a street in Baghdad" like you. Hmm, to me that sure sounds like you're indirectly making a claim to your level of fitness by comparison.

You also said "they targeted their lifting specifically to perform these feats" which to me sounds like you're saying that they specialized in doing this sort of thing. They train for every possible type of lifting/endurance combination you think of. There is no specialization in Crossfit. And you don't have to perform a specific movement to improve on it. You'll rarely ever find Bench press in the WOD, and yet when it does come around, people who follow the WOD's find that they've made huge improvements in it, thanks to training other movements. And actually I would not be at all surprised if this was the first time they had directly attempted this heavy OH walking around stuff. They probably developed the ability to do it through heavy OH squatting, cleans and pressing.

All in all, I'm still not sure what you were getting at in your first post. It makes no sense why you would bring up the whole "running 5 miles with 200 lbs" thing, if not to insinuate that you're better than them. (i.e. "Psh, that's nothing. I can do THIS.") So really, am I the one who needs to hop off that high horse?

that guy in the red is a freak
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "F—k you and the Prowler you rode in on"

wow they're insane, they make me feel like a little girl
    I'm very impressed how they're able to clean the weight so easily

Combat Infantryman
    Quote Originally Posted by Tofer View Post
    So you're not making any claim to your fitness, and yet you claimed that they would be unable to "put on 200lbs of ammo and armor and run for 5 miles down a street in Baghdad" like you. Hmm, to me that sure sounds like you're indirectly making a claim to your level of fitness by comparison.

You also said "they targeted their lifting specifically to perform these feats" which to me sounds like you're saying that they specialized in doing this sort of thing. They train for every possible type of lifting/endurance combination you think of. There is no specialization in Crossfit. And you don't have to perform a specific movement to improve on it. You'll rarely ever find Bench press in the WOD, and yet when it does come around, people who follow the WOD's find that they've made huge improvements in it, thanks to training other movements. And actually I would not be at all surprised if this was the first time they had directly attempted this heavy OH walking around stuff. They probably developed the ability to do it through heavy OH squatting, cleans and pressing.

All in all, I'm still not sure what you were getting at in your first post. It makes no sense why you would bring up the whole "running 5 miles with 200 lbs" thing, if not to insinuate that you're better than them. (i.e. "Psh, that's nothing. I can do THIS.") So really, am I the one who needs to hop off that high horse?
    Yes.
    U.S. Army Infantry

What military shows? They never even show people wearing body armor on shows like mail call and ****. My body armor is 85lbs with armor piercing plates. I've got a kevlar helmet, 6L CamelBak, 1500 rounds of 5.56mm ammo, M-249 machine gun, various tools/trinkets. I carry 3-4x as much ammo as a standard rifleman but that's my load. And yes, we are sitting ducks. They want to give us leg armor and masks too. There are some small guys (<5' tall) who have compressed spines from wearing this ****. As I mentioned in another thread, my knees are all dicked up from it.
    Anything on the military channel or history channel. I would think that mobility would be valued over extra gear in some situations.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Combat Infantryman
    It is. Special Forces, specifically Delta Force, keep their weight very light for what they do. We sit in the street and kill anybody that shoots at us so we don't really need mobility.
    U.S. Army Infantry

Those one legged overhead squats are insane. I would be full of myself if I could do just 1 bodyweight ATF one legged squat, let alone multiple reps with weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maki Riddington View Post
    Chris,

Superior core strength.
    Superior leg strength.

Which lift would you like to see?

Did you read what I said?

Now, let's put a 500 lbs barbell on ANY of their backs and see what happens when they try to squat it. I wonder if any of them can pull over 500 lbs from the floor. What about 600 lbs?

That was my point. It takes some strength, yes, but it is more skill than brute strength.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason View Post
    Which lift would you like to see?

Did you read what I said?

Now, let's put a 500 lbs barbell on ANY of their backs and see what happens when they try to squat it. I wonder if any of them can pull over 500 lbs from the floor. What about 600 lbs?

That was my point. It takes some strength, yes, but it is more skill than brute strength.

I read what you said Chris.

If someone weighs 170 pounds then 500 pounds is the number to lift? Take into account it's relative to bodyweight. As to what they can pull and squat, I'm sure it's respectable in relation to their bodyweight and what other areas of fitness they excel at. Meaning that it is very difficult to build up a high quality of strength as well as be in advanced cardiovascular condition in a large range of areas.

Not everyone just trains for the big three. Some train to sprint, run, pull, push, and jump using a broad range of distances, heights and loads. That is what encompasses fitness. Not just being able to squat 500 pounds.

I can understand that it may not be impressive to you because it is not what you like to do. Just as brute strength is not a priority to me.

I'd like to see you do all of them at a weight that is suited towards your maximal strength levels.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo