The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mcolfer

how important is calorie intake apposed to eatin just low carb high protein?

i used to powerlift then got out of it i never lost my size or strength just got flabby and a gut ... ive been watchin what i eat and been doing cardio 3 times a week with a high rep low weight work out.....i wanna cut up maybe bodybuild but i wanna see results so i can have some more confidence ... its hard gettin back in the weight room and not being able to do what u once could...right now ive been staying away from carbs and fat and just basically been eating all protein....any suggestions...? is the calorie intake why im not seeing as much results...?

5'7

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

carbs and fat are not the enemy, it's all about total calories

if your intake is less than your expenditure you'll lose the weight, but that doesn't mean cutting out carbs which you need for energy or healthy fats

what's a basic breakdown of how much you normally eat in a day? (carbs, fats, proteins, total cals?)
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

If you want muscle you have to eat!
    Fat is required for proper body function, its not the enemy. Protein is needed for tissue building. Carbs arent needed exactly but are always good to have and make eating the other two a lot easier.

^ you won't grow without carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by 1ManRiot View Post
    1- That's not necessarily true.

2- He doesn't want to grow, he wants to lose fat.

To the OP: I suggest first cutting your overall calories and see how you do. If you hit a wall, then you can carb cycle and see how that works for you.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Look up the word GLUCONEOGENESIS.

Also, stop pasting crap. Thanks.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

yes gluconeogenesis does play a part in glucose production. But the body will readily break down muscle in order to fuel gluconeogenesis rather than digest protein. Carbs are protein sparing, so eat carbs but dont go nuts on them. Also you have to factor in the TEF of food as well, protein has a much higher TEF rating than carbs so you will need to consume more protein to end up with the same amount of cals after body functions like digestion and other variables like exercise comes into account. Also id love to see anyone train at maximal intensity with just P+F macros, just doesnt happen.

Right amount of macros, right time.

Scarz i would also ask you to stop being rude as politeness works both ways, im sure you would want the forum to continue being civil and attract new members.

To the OP, lift heavy and keep your muscle. Calorie deficit to be achieved weekly through output. Post up your diet and current training progream for a critique as it will be far more useful

Do you ever know what you're talking about? I eat 100 carbs or less everyday except Sunday and I weight 215 and have definition in my abs. Please, stop being ignorant when you post. There is a minimal amount of carbs that you should intake daily (50 grams) that's for motor/sensory function of the brain.

If he wants lower carbs he can have carb/protein meals at the same time and that'll work just fine.

Overall calories decides if you'll grow or shrink. It's as easy as that.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Shark

Actually its 100g of carbs for brain function anything less is ketgogenic

Why do you have a carb up on sunday if you dont grow on low carbs. Protein synthesis will be hindered if glycogen stores arent catered for with a adequate amount

Granted youll grow, but not as fast as if you employed more carbs

Calories play a deciding role in whether you will grow all calories are not created equal

Eat nothing but protein & fat and shove in gluconeogenesis too and see if you grow lean body mass or shrink

1MR said you wont grow without carbs, what youve said you have agreed with him so why the attack? BTW wheres the figure of 50g come from? You are also aware that glucose is the bodies preferred fuel source right?

Edit: why are people on here so fecking rude to other members. Im starting to consider leaving and go elsewhere where debate is welcomed and members can control themselves form being keyboard warriors and have some manners
    Last edited by theravingphycho; 09-16-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by theravingphycho View Post
    Shark

Why do you have a carb up on sunday if you dont grow on low carbs. Protein synthesis will be hindered if glycogen stores arent catered for with a adequate amount

Granted youll grow, but not as fast as if you employed more carbs

Calories play a deciding role in whether you will grow all calories are not created equal

Eat nothing but protein & fat and shove in gluconeogenesis too and see if you grow lean body mass or shrink

1MR said you wont grow without carbs, what youve said you have agreed with him so why the attack? BTW wheres the figure of 50g come from? You are also aware that glucose is the bodies preferred fuel source right?
    Ketosis will start at roughly 50 grams of carbohydrates. Ketosis will not develop as quickly at around 100 grams of carbohydrates. That's why I said 50 grams. Somewhere between 50-100 is the cutoff.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

50-100 depending on what cutoff, lean body mass, gender, current glycogen state?

Why does drinking a diet coke throw you out of ketosis as well?

You also havent replid to my other points too, are you agreeing with them?

theravingphycho------some people appreciate your posts. Keep up the good work!

Wannabebig Member
    i think its cals over anything i aint 100% sure though.

cujo1

bulking is about calories in excess of the right macros

its not that hard to bulk, but its hard to bulk effectively and laying down the most amount of lean tissue with the least amount of fat.

Good example if its purely about cals you should be able to bulk off of lard and sugar, but you cant.
    Theres a good article on Tnation i came across ages ago, have a look to see what you think

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1268956

Chickenlegs thanks for the kind words mate
    Last edited by theravingphycho; 09-16-2007 at 09:13 AM.

Chickenlegs thanks for the kind words mate
    I still think it's a bit coincidental that 1manriot and you pop up as new members as of September 2007, your first post was in defense of 1MR related the ongoing debate about meal frequency/timing/etc., your posts play tag- team with 1MR's using similar language style and content/knowledge, your user names follow similar format....and now you are using "mate" as well.

Of course, I tend to just be rather observant and read into things.

But, as 1manriot mentioned in another post, he has a social life and I would be surprised if he wasted time creating multiple WBB names.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 09-16-2007 at 10:04 AM.

Just keep swimming onecrazycowgirl's Avatar
    To add to the "yeah, eat some carbs" bandwagon, it's way harder on your liver to use sources other than carbs for energy. Carbs aren't evil, but anything in excess will make you fat. Ideal intake is like 55-60% of your deat being carbs - your body reall doesn't need that much protein - like .8g(or is it oz? shoot.) per kg of bodyweight.
    Looking for a lifetime stand - One night at a time.

<3's WBB
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    I still think it's a bit coincidental that 1manriot and you pop up as new members as of September 2007, your first post was in defense of 1MR related the ongoing debate about meal frequency/timing/etc., your posts play tag- team with 1MR's using similar language style and content/knowledge, your user names follow similar format....and now you are using "mate" as well.

But, as 1manriot mentioned in another post, he has a social life and I would be surprised if he wasted time creating multiple WBB names.
    Maybe we can get an admin to sniff out the sockpuppet?

21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

ahaha i love that picture, not sure why but sock puppets are great.

every aspect of eating and diet is important to me, i dont see it as what is more or less important

Quote Originally Posted by onecrazycowgirl View Post
    To add to the "yeah, eat some carbs" bandwagon, it's way harder on your liver to use sources other than carbs for energy. Carbs aren't evil, but anything in excess will make you fat. Ideal intake is like 55-60% of your deat being carbs - your body reall doesn't need that much protein - like .8g(or is it oz? shoot.) per kg of bodyweight.
    It's really not that "hard" on your liver to use other sources for energy. This is just brought up because some people are not that keen on having so much protein in their diet.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs

Right amount of macros, right time.
    To get the best results, this seems pretty much true, but still has to be done with a deficit to lose or a surplus to gain.

This isn't necessarily the case with everyone. It seems to be more a heuristic than anything. It's been tossed around so much that the origin of it seems to have been lost. There are a lot of mitigating factors, like anything else.
    If one person can do something, anyone can learn to do it.
    Do what you've always done and get what you've always gotten.
    There is no failure, only feedback.

"Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step".--Lao Tzu

Pro-Choice...ON EVERYTHING.

I love you guys and your advice to newbies.

"yeah mate, who needs carbs anyway".

If it bothers you so much, compare writing styles or ping for IPs.

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post

I say mate because im english, think of it as the british term for "friend". Think what you want mate, ask the admin to check our IP's and email addresses. Coincidences mean nothing in my book, i just happen to agree with 1MR POV thats all, its similiar to mine. I am still waiting on your input on the thread i initially responded to

You read too much into things that do not exist, however it shows an active minf which i cannot fault you for. Perhaps 1MR is also english i have no idea, i may ask him/her

Manchester mate

ah a mancunian i see, london boy myself

Wannabebig Member
    oh word im from london my self. I aint too sure but all i do is follow the atleast 1g of protein per lbm 0.5g of fat per lbm rest can be carbs