The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Rep number / intensity question

ok my aim is to tone up/maintain and hopefully increase a bit of muscle mass.

I've been reading that doing high reps (12-15) and light weights, still to failure though, isn't a good idea and it doesn't really give good results..

So then my options are either doing sets of 10 reps or set of 8 reps... or doing a pyramid type set.. 10-8-6

what do y'all recommend ?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

low reps sound good. The whole concept of doing high reps for tone is bullsh*t.

You want definition? Lose the fat

I personally like a pyramid style of repping. Lets me work in different rep ranges.

bwala
    Don't eat the yellow snow

I would generally kind of keep the range between 6-10, the reason is because you prob is body fat, and that rep range is more towards muscle growth, so when you lose the fat, the muscles will show through a little earlier, you'll still look big while leaning out..

I don't like pyramiding.

I'd do a set or two of low reps, like 4-8...and a set or two of higher reps, like 8-12 for each major exercise.

Me two Cacky.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Originally posted by Cackerot69
    I don't like pyramiding.

I'd do a set or two of low reps, like 4-8...and a set or two of higher reps, like 8-12 for each major exercise.
    Out of curiosity, why do lower-rep sets, which I assume to be of higher intensity, then move on to higher-rep ones?

won't that make higher-rep sets redundant?

From what I understand:

1-6 reps, or so = muscular strength
    7-12 reps, or so = muscular hypertrophy
    12+, or so = muscular endurance

course there is WAY more to it then this
    Last edited by ericg; 03-08-2002 at 09:39 AM.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Originally posted by Qea

Out of curiosity, why do lower-rep sets, which I assume to be of higher intensity, then move on to higher-rep ones?

won't that make higher-rep sets redundant?

Huh? that makes no sense.

Low reps with a heaviest weight for one type of fibre, drop the weight so you can achieve higher reps on the second set to hit another fibre type (i forget which hit which).

I've been doing this for months.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Yeah, the low rep sets focus on FT fibers, and the higher rep focus on ST fibers. Also it just serves to train both types of hypertrophy - myofibrillar (low reps) and sarcoplasmic (high reps).

If you don't do some high rep training along with your heavy/low rep you will eventually reach a state called "irrational hypertrophy" which is when your actin/myosin density outgrows your mitochondria. In simple terms what happens is that your muscles get to a point where your energy supplying mechanism can no longer fuel them maximally. This is one of the primary causes of plateaus. So you gotta train the energy supplying tissues with high reps in order to keep your contractile tissues growing maximally.

You could set this up in a periodization type style, which would probably be better for max strength purposes, but not for bodybuilding purposes. I just think this way is much easier, and best for the bodybuilder.

but yea

It works too.
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

ah

I get it.

I thought pyramiding up is so that you can prep your muscles for the last heavy set, didn't know about the different fiber-type thing

Well, you learn something new. Thanks guys

What if you follow the WBB style routine with only 2 sets per exercise. Would you do one low rep set and then proceed onto a slightly higher rep one? (all within the specified rep range)
    Last edited by Qea; 03-08-2002 at 05:44 PM.

Truthfully targeting different fiber types is a misnomer-- its more accurate to think of it as training the bioenergetic pathways. You're really not going to put a dent in the ST fibers by doing 15-20 reps.

The point about the varied types of hypertrophy is valid- to an extent. That one too is not as cut and dry as it looks on paper. Irrational hypertrophy isn't going to occur overnight, nor is the variance between contractile vs. non-contractile hypertrophy going to be a huge factor in the short term.

That being said, a bodybuilder should train all three metabolic pathways-- that means low reps, moderate reps, and high(er) reps.

It's more a matter of semantics at this point, but I just wanted the explanation to be accurate.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

I usually work in the 8-10 rep range (for hypertrophy), how should I incorporate lower reps into my workout and still train for size? Should I do lower reps once a month or something along those lines to target FT fibers?

Also, dont FT fibers have a greater potential for hypertrophy b/c they are fatigued more easily? THen why is it best to train in the 8-12 range for hypertrophy if that works ST fibers more?

It doesn't work the ST fibers more. It works the oxidative-glycolytic fibers/metabolism more.

The lowest reps only target the glycolytic fibers/metabolism, which are also most prone to fatigue and growth.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock