The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Genetic Experiment GeneticallyGifted's Avatar
    Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy

Pull-Ups vs. Lat Pull downs

Which do BBers prefer most...Pull-Ups or Lat Pull downs? I was wondering because I rarely see people in the gym doing pull-ups ....I figured, " ahhhhhhh...they're just common people they are naturely going to go to the machine, right?" Well, I haven't seen that many people doing pull-ups at all and I started wondering if BBers have forgotten about this exercise.

I do pull-ups ONLY!!! And its my favorite exercise...I was just wondering if I was alone?
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

Chest: | Shoulders: | Upper Arm: | Forearm: |
    Waist: |Neck:| Upper Thigh: | Calf: |

Personal Bests: COMING SOON:
    Flat Barbell Presses: | Dips: |Wide-grip Palms Away: |
    Military Barbell Press: |Barbell Squats: |

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

decease, RIP
    It would be a nice exercise if I wasn't so fat and weak. Think i'm gonna add them thought, right now i do close grip pulldowns.
    big.

you are not alone. i get a nice pump just doing two sets too faliure which isnt to many reps... around 14 on the first one and 12 on the second.
    Sweat in time of peace, bleed less in time of war.

I love my pullups do 4 sets, last 3 weighted.. works GREAT, lat pull down I think gives you a little better ROM, but I prefer pullups,,

You don't see most people doing pull-ups probably because they can't do them... or if they can. Not many.

I am one of the few people at my gym that does do pull-ups. Yes I agree I think they are one of the forgotten exercises. Pull-ups and deads are the two exercises, I hardly see anyone ever do perform.

I cant do 1 pull up.

Originally posted by jell999
    I cant do 1 pull up.
    It's a start, next week you should be able to do 2 and then 3, before you know it you'll be doing 10.

Re: Pull-Ups vs. Lat Pull downs

Originally posted by AFreakyMutation
    And its my favorite exercise...I was just wondering if I was alone?
    You are not alone.
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

i agree. i never really did pullups before, but ive been doing them for the last few months, and they are awesome. I get all lightheaded after doing them weighted for two sets. Probably a reason not many people do them.

Stockholm, Sweden...Mainly, New York,New York, Los Angeles,CA., Civitinova Marche, Italy
    I love being apart of WBB you feel better knowing that there are true BBers here, that know the importance of certain exercises. Its cool to see people go through the same thought processes as you.

Thanks guys your the best...(saying it all cheesy)
    STATS COMING SOON:Age: 29 | Height: 5'10" | Weight: 78KG/ 172LBS| bf: |Years Training:?? | All-natural: Yes|

arent pull ups like one of the best things u can do for a nice v shape?? I do em all the time. My friend can do his own body weight 35 times.. actually more he kinda just stopped at 35. That was wide grip by the way and a PULL up hands facing away not a chin and with perfect form it was pretty impressive i can only do about 10 or so of those. At what point would u recommend adding weight?

when you can get between 12-15 I would add weight, then add moer weight when you can get 10 or so WITH WEIGHT.., works great, really kills the upper body..

Freaky- your new name is "AFreakyCornball"

is there a difference between pull ups and chin ups?

I grip the bar queit wide.
    I feel my lats working a lot more this way.

how much weight do you use Manipul8r and how many reps ?

when you can do 8-10 add weight
    I am up to 45 lbs for 10 so am gonna try 50 today

erm can anyone please please give me a proper explanation or refer me to a site where I can describe exactly why chin ups are a more effective back exercises than bloody lat pulldown (which I cant stand)

I have a friend that thinks he knows everything, even though he never researches any new techniques or diet information, and I was trying to explain to him that doing lat pull downs is not the same thing as doing pull ups (which he doesn't like doing because he sucks at them and especially wont do them when I am around because I show up how weak he is).

What is the difference between the two precisely ???
    I couldn't find much about a comparison between the exercises on the net, however, I would like to be able to convince the guy that pull ups rule over pull downs. (IMO )

i can get about 7-8 with 45lbs added on to my fourth set, i up the weight each set starting with body weight.. check out the journal...

There technically is no difference between chin ups and pull ups, but in high school it was always classified that a chin up is more of a curl up (palms facing you) and a pull up is palms away..

I think he meant between Lat pulldowns and pull ups.
    Push the envelope/Watch it bend.

Originally posted by millertime
    I am one of the few people at my gym that does do pull-ups. Yes I agree I think they are one of the forgotten exercises. Pull-ups and deads are the two exercises, I hardly see anyone ever do perform.
    also, i totally agree with this - not only pullups but the only ppl in the gym that I ever see doing deads are ladies lifting light weights to tone their ass or something.

what is with that, makes you realise how many people are total pussies at the white collar gyms.

yeah lat pull downs are gay
    Last edited by Shocker; 03-07-2002 at 04:57 PM.

there is a difference between pull ups and chin ups.. i can do a lot more chin ups then pull ups there so easy.. also the closer i keep my hands the easiar it is also.

Pull up are cool if you can do a lot, I can only do like 3 or 4 I have had much success doing negatives only on pull ups 5 sets of 5, try that for those of you who want to get your pull ups up. I went from not being able to do 1 pull-up to being able to do 4 in a relativly short amount of time.

Originally posted by Shocker
    yeah lat pull downs are gay
    Not so. Pull downs are very good if you pay attention to form and not turn 'em into rows. I have seen people lean so far back, when doing pull downs, that their body is almost horizontal to the floor.

Originally posted by breeze

Not so. Pull downs are very good if you pay attention to form and not turn 'em into rows. I have seen people lean so far back, when doing pull downs, that their body is almost horizontal to the floor.
    And this is good??? That is the correct that you speak of?

Try doing that on pull-ups...no,no, not gonna happen! This is a real exercise and should be a mandatory exercise on everyones back day. Those that are lazy or embarrassed won't try them, bottom line.

Those that worry about others in the gym stay small and those that push their bodies to the utter limits regardless of how they look become MASSIVE.

think about that, then look around in your gym and your experience at the time will show you that AFreakyMutation was right.