The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Personal training for next level

So if a fairly advanced lifter wanted to get a trainer, what should they look for? What can a world class trainer provide that I maybe missing? What would be worth paying for? I got an appointment tomorrow with a trainer and I want to be able to tell them what I'm looking for in more direct terms then "lean out and lift heavier objects". On the phone they said they could help me set up a routine and nutrition which I don't really care about.

What do really good trainers provide?
    Nick V

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I guess motivation. You have WBB which is a much better resource for routine and diet info. I guess training with a competition BBer might be beneficial if thats something you are aiming for appearance wise.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

I wouldn't look for "trainers." Decide what route you want to go and look for a coach that has walked the walk.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

What are you looking to do? Find a trainer that has been there and done that. Look for somebody that has done competitions or some sort and find out what their certifications are.

You'll have to be more specific instead of lift more and look leaner. Are you looking to bench a certain number, squat a certain amount, or are you looking to do more strongman type stuff or more endurance based athletic work? What do you mean by leaner? Just get bigger at your current bodyfat percentage? That'll make you appear leaner just in itself or are you looking to actually shed some bodyfat?

All these things you need to have very specific answers for or (if they're good) they will provide you with the answers and sell you on something that you might not really need.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

You'll have to be more specific instead of lift more and look leaner. Are you looking to bench a certain number, squat a certain amount, or are you looking to do more strongman type stuff or more endurance based athletic work?

Would like to bench 300+, squat 400+, deadlift 500+.

What do you mean by leaner?

Lower body fat, abs, lean.
    Just get bigger at your current bodyfat percentage?

In the long run.

That'll make you appear leaner just in itself or are you looking to actually shed some bodyfat?

Looking to also be more balanced in life. Sucks working legs or back, then not being able to go out and dance/bike/hike because I'm so sore from working out.
    Nick V

You need to reanalyze your training if you're getting that sore after each workout. I do pretty much pure powerlifting and I very rarely get sore. If I do get sore then something is wrong because it means my recovery is delayed and I'm going to have to wait longer to train. I have my workouts programmed out leading up to certain competitions and I need to get done what I have planned. Soreness is always indicative of a good workout.

But leading back to what I asked. You'll have to be more specific. Very specific. For example, "I want to be 8% in 4 months." Hell, throw out a very unrealistic number and see if he's going to just try and sell you. Personal training isn't just training people. Most personal trainers are just used car salesmen trying to make a buck. You need to know exactly what you want or (like I said earlier, if he's good) he'll eat you alive and have you on some program that you either don't want or can't afford.

The exercise numbers are fine. If you're looking for a more balanced life, see if the guy does postural analysis and can see if you are doing things correctly to prevent any postural defects from occurring.

If it's anything like the gyms here, you're walking into a sales pitch. You need to be testing him and not the other way around.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I think the soreness is just a fact that I'm averaging 2200-2300 calories a day. Been dropping weight nicely. Once I'm at maintenance or above it goes away.
    Nick V

Honestly... find a "coach" that can do a heck of a lot more than you in the weight room. Someone thats gonna get you really motivated.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre