Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wolfe loses 76lbs - Sept 17th 2007

Mike Wolfe loses 76lbs - Sept 17th 2007

Is it possible to lose 76 lbs of body fat and increase your bench press from 835 lbs to 859.8 lbs? It is, and Mike Wolfe did it! This article will address in-depth exactly how he accomplished this tremendous feat while simultaneously providing you a roadmap to accomplishing your own fat loss and strength training goals.

http://www.wannabebig.com/article.php?articleid=316

Enjoy!

Daniel
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? My Training Journal

That 'great diet' they came up with is somewhat appalling.

Powders, pills, QUARTER POUNDERS, two teaspoons of butter in the morning. Pardon me, but it almost seems like a joke.

Is that how all top powerlifters eat?
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 11-08-2007 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    Is that how all top powerlifters eat?
    Yes.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Here ya go, Mike, and all the rest of the top powerlifters, this is how you should be eating (you will obviously have to scale it up!):

8:00am: 8 oz milk, 30g whey, banana, multivitamin, 5g creatine

9:00am: oatmeal, blueberries, 3 eggs fried in olive oil, 8 oz orange juice

11:00am: Shake: 8 oz milk, natty peanut butter, yogurt, whey prot

noon: 2 sandwhiches (tuna or turkey or chicken) on whole wheat bread, carrots, 8 oz milk

2:30pm: 8 oz milk, peanuts, raisins

4:30pm: yogurt or cottage cheese, piece of fruit

6:30pm: Dinner, chicken, beef, turkey, or fish, brocoli or spinach or salad, whole wheat bread or whole wheat pasta

8:30-10:30pm: Shake: 8 oz milk, natty peanut butter, yogurt, whey prot
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 11-08-2007 at 08:46 AM.

I've been lifting now for about 5 months, doing starting strength. I'm 24y-o, 5'7", 145lbs now
    You have no business telling anyone how to eat.

settle down Drew, I'm sharing my opinion - a diet that includes quarter pounders should not go unchallenged.

anyways, the fact that I bench a seventh (hehe!) as much as Mike Wolfe does not mean I can not help him with his diet.

I will contest the 'eat as much saturated fat' diet as long as there are people advocating it.

Just because you're weightlifting does not mean you should have clogged arteries.

I'd be scared to see the life expectancies for powerlifters who follow these types of diets.

Powerlifters don't care about anything but lifting heavy weights. Eating massive quantities of food is a necessary component of lifting big weight.

If his main goal was to have low cholesterol and live to be 100, I'm sure he would eat differently.

Fair enough, so it is a misleading article at best, since health benefits of lower weight are mentioned at multiple points throughout the article.

It should have been more clear that his goal was simply to cut weight so he could be in a lower weight class.

The diet is FAR from healthy. As should be apparent from my comments, I would consider it a rather unhealthy diet. True, I've only been weightlifting for 5 months, but I've been eating for 24 years and I have a fairly firm grasp on what is and is not healthy.

I personally have more respect for someone who can BOTH lift heavy weights and live to be 100.

peace,
    S_S

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Um. Who are you? I have respect for Adolf Hitler's speaking ability and communication skills. Doesn't go over well with everyone and is something best left unshared.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I think Vinny said it best at the end of his video interview that is up on EFS...

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Fair enough, so it is a misleading article at best, since health benefits of lower weight are mentioned at multiple points throughout the article.

It should have been more clear that his goal was simply to cut weight so he could be in a lower weight class.

The diet is FAR from healthy. As should be apparent from my comments, I would consider it a rather unhealthy diet. True, I've only been weightlifting for 5 months, but I've been eating for 24 years and I have a fairly firm grasp on what is and is not healthy.

I personally have more respect for someone who can BOTH lift heavy weights and live to be 100.

peace,
    S_S

Please go away. This site is not for anorexics.

Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    Please go away. This site is not for anorexics.
    Right, that's bb.com

It's not a war, guys

Online forums are for exchanging ideas.

and Lou, I don't think personal attacks are appropriate for any online discussion.

So these guys eating quarter pounders are sooo unhealthy?

What about bodybuilders drying their brains out heading to sub 5%bf. They eat a very clean diet, but are they very healthy?

What about long distance cyclists, I dont care how fit they arem these guys look like wasted carcasses that lack sufficient muscle mass to keep their flimsy back erect.

I would rather be a massive structurally strong powerlifter instead of a 110 pound weakling who spends hours hunched over doing one hell of an unnatural motion with their entire body... suuuuuure, much healthier.

Welcome to the world of extreme sports. It takes 400 pounds of Andy Bolton to make 1000 move off the floor, and it takes a 100 pound Kenyan to begin to digest his own organs to run a marathon.

If I was instructed today that I was to become a 350 pound superheavyweight within 5 years I would do it without hesitation, **** quarter pounders, **** pounders, Ill take a kilo. If I was told I had to drop to the 185s I would do it to. Lucky for me I am much better suited to the 231 oly class and am aiming to be a lean 230.

I would do anything to go the distance required, healthy or not, to push the boundry of my sport, and go as far as my poential allows me.

SHW powerlifters and Olympic lifters are the strongest humans alive. Ask these guys wether health factored into their decisions.

Being a strong teenager means nothing.

My wrists hurt, but some people don't have wrists to be sore. My knees have tendinitis, but some people don't have legs to get tendinitis in. I seem to be going backwards with training, yet some people can't even walk let alone lift 400 pounds on a daily basis.

Dust out the vagina, and keep on lifting.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    Hey Fuzzy,

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat unheathy etc that's your own choice but ...

You sound like you would rather die early and make it as an olympic powerlifter than not make it. Is this right? Also, how do you think you will feel about this in 20 years time?

I'm just interested that's all ... not picking fault. I am dedicated to a lot of things in my life, but I'm not prepared to die early for them.
    Last edited by leetuck; 11-11-2007 at 01:31 PM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by leetuck View Post
    Hey Fuzzy,

I'm not saying you shouldn't eat unheathy etc that's your own choice but ...

You sound like you would rather die early and make it as an olympic powerlifter than not make it. Is this right? Also, how do you think you will feel about this in 20 years time?

I'm just interested that's all ... not picking fault. I am dedicated to a lot of things in my life, but I'm not prepared to die early for them.

Elite level lifters aren't in it for their health. They're willing to sacrifice a lot to get to the position they're in. The majority of them know the potential risks they face but the desire to excel is stronger than their fear of the consequences.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I know what you are saying ... but willing to die early is "sacrificing everything" not sacrificing a lot. Without your health you have nothing.

They must be so passionate, dedicated and (dare is say it) obsessed to do that. I think to be the ultimate at anything you need to be a little obsessed so i'm not knocking it at all. I'd love to know the thoughts that are going through their minds... do you think they block the thoughts about the risks out?
    Last edited by leetuck; 11-11-2007 at 01:55 PM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

You can't really look at it like it's so cut and dry. The whole thing isn't, "if you get to an elite level, you'll die." It's more of, "if you reach an elite level, you may face things down the road that you normally wouldn't have." Early death isn't an absolute thing. Could it potentially happen? Yes, but the same thing could be said for life in general. Some people are just willing to take the risks.

I think the bottom line is that you dont have to eat healthy to be huge or lean, obviously the health of his meal is not top priority. Most of the bigger guys here would certainly verify that fast food is not a bad way to go. To get meals large enough to quench my hunger besides fast food financially is not an option.
    Im not like everyone. I dont live like they live. I dont eat what they eat. No donuts. No coffee with cream & two sugars. No morning papers. Its 6:52am & Im on my second meal. While everyone else is hitting the snooze, Im hitting my stride. Frank Mcgrath

peace,
    S_S
    Just an FYI, saturated fat will not clog arteries. Your "firm grasp" is rooted in old theories.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Chris,

It was a euphemism. Quarter pounders are certainly not healthy for a person, though.

But, they are tasty now and then

Maybe should not be included in a diet everyday though

Anyways, I have respect for Mike Wolfe and other powerlifters, especially Mike since he seems to give back a lot to the community.

In this case though, emulation may be a poor form of compliment you can pay Mike!

Sigh...

Hell the Diet worked and I'm healthier now then I have been in a long long time!!! Nuff Said
    MONSTER MODE

Wannabebig Member
    I agree with samadhi_smiles. It's great to be a powerlifter, but to get there and have health problems later in life is a no-no. Eating healthily (and being able to lift slightly less) is a lifestyle I'm aspiring for.

Wannabebig Member
    I don't think you need unhealthy food to bulk. It just makes it easier.