The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Curling in the squat rack

Why?

I don't understand it. I know a lot of people make fun of guys that do this. Normally I wouldn't care, but when I'm in the gym, and it's crowded, and I'm waiting for the squat rack because it's being used by some guy doing curls in it, it does kind of p*** me off too. It happened to me yesterday. Some guy was standing there at the squat rack talking to one of his buddies for like 10 minutes, while I stood there and patiently waited to get on there. He noticed that I was waiting, and he apologized and told me that he only had 1 set left. He then went on to do his last set, which happened to be a set of curls. I was a bit annoyed.

Is it different then using the EZ bar? Is it beneficial in any way at all?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think the whole making fun of people who do this is a bit played out....but I don't understand why people do it. How hard is it to pick the bar up off the ground and keep the rack open for people who actually need it??

Banned
    you should do a search this has been discussed 987154 times

they do it cause they are to lazy to pick the bar off the ground

New philosophy:

Let everyone work out the way they want. When they curl in squat racks or do 1/4 squats or even when they do things like leg raises in order to build the quads of their dreams, let them. When they rock or jerk on any exercise to satisfy their egos, let them. When they spend hours doing isolation exercises, let them. In the end, I don't want everyone knowing the 'secrets and techniques' of training correctly. I mean you wouldn't want everyone to be successful entrepreneurs.

-Superman-
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by -Superman- View Post
    New philosophy:

Let everyone work out the way they want. When they curl in squat racks or do 1/4 squats or even when they do things like leg raises in order to build the quads of their dreams, let them. When they rock or jerk on any exercise to satisfy their egos, let them. When they spend hours doing isolation exercises, let them. In the end, I don't want everyone knowing the 'secrets and techniques' of training correctly. I mean you wouldn't want everyone to be successful entrepreneurs.

-Superman-

I couldn't have said that better my self.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

New philosophy:

-Superman-

I hear ya. Just one thing though. 1/4 squats aren't such a bad thing. They do have thier place in building overall squat strength.

dedicated & disciplined
    New philosophy:

-Superman-

To me it has really nothing to do with whether or not I agree with what and how they are doing their exercises. I make fun of them in my head but I really dont care what they do.

But it does have EVERYTHING to do with be a considerate person. And yes, it is very inconsiderate to tie up any equipment for an extended period of time when there are alot of people in the gym and you have a decent idea that someone is waiting for you. Especially when you arent even using the equipment for what its designed for. Unfortanately this world is full of inconsiderate people who just seem to have tunnel vision and see noone but themselves.

I say next time stand behind him and do jumping jacks until you get properly get his attention. See how he likes it.
    Last edited by live2lift; 09-18-2007 at 08:56 AM.
    Current: 34 yrs. old 5'10.5'' 192 lbs.
    Goals: 195 lbs. 12% bf by dec.09'
    Long term goal: 225 lbs. 10-12% bf
    Best Lifts bench:355 11/10/08 Deadlift:475 5/5/08
    Squat:395 5/6/08.......Total:1225 RAW
    Goals: 1275 total by Dec 09'
    Long term goal: 1500 RAW

videos http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=emilyjeremy1

Quote Originally Posted by smokinHawk View Post
    you should do a search this has been discussed 987154 times

they do it cause they are to lazy to pick the bar off the ground
    I just did a search, and it's actually only been discussed 987152 times.

It's easy to say "let them," when they aren't in your way, or utilizing the only piece of equipment that happens to allow you to safely perform a squat. It is called a "squat rack" for a reason. It is also called a "power rack" for a reason. There is nothing powerful about a curl.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    It's easy to say "let them," when they aren't in your way, or utilizing the only piece of equipment that happens to allow you to safely perform a squat. It is called a "squat rack" for a reason. It is also called a "power rack" for a reason. There is nothing powerful about a curl.
    Yeah, BUT it doesn't matter how you feel about it because if they are going to curl in the squat rack, they are going to curl in the squat rack. There is no reason to bitch about it because it's going to happen regardless if you want it to or not.
    Last edited by Cards; 09-18-2007 at 08:48 AM.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Cards View Post
    Yeah, BUT it doesn't matter how you feel about it because if they are going to curl in the squat rack, they are going to curl in the squat rack. There is no reason to bitch about it because it's going to happen regardless if you want it to or not.
    I'm not bitching. I move people out of the way. I'm that inconsiderate prick that will tell somebody that there are pre-fabbed bars that weigh more than they are curling and run them out of the rack. I've been doing this long enough that unless you are curling over 200lbs in the rack (in that case you have the right to be there), you won't be in the rack long if I need it. If I don't need it, I could give a hairless rat's ass what you do in the rack.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I think most kids in my gym do it because they don't know any better. Our "squat rack" is their "random piece of gym equipment" that they plan on using any way they can. They figure it can be used for curls, so why not curl in it? I agree, it's annoying as hell, but I don't think they even realize how inconvenient they really are.

I'm gonna try to invent a bar that senses when there's only a 10 pound plate on each side...then explodes.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Couldn't find IAMBUFF.COM
    WTF! I bet you are that guy that interrupted my conversation so you could look cool, and make me hurry up so you could squat in the curl rack!!! Geeeeez, we were talking about how beneficial wrist curls were and how my new weightlifting gloves matches my ipod strap...why were you sooooo impatient, why don't you go and do leg extension man. Do 3 sets of 25, then you actually feel the burn. And stop checkin out my guns!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nddillon View Post
    WTF! I bet you are that guy that interrupted my conversation so you could look cool, and make me hurry up so you could squat in the curl rack!!! Geeeeez, we were talking about how beneficial wrist curls were and how my new weightlifting gloves matches my ipod strap...why were you sooooo impatient, why don't you go and do leg extension man. Do 3 sets of 25, then you actually feel the burn. And stop checkin out my guns!!!!!!!!!
    Lol. Sorry bout that bro.

If I had 5 bucks for each time this thread appeared I wouldn't be in college.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    hey man, I'm new. Forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by markdk86 View Post
    Hahaha I was going to say something like that. I understand you're new and all, but that's why we always recommend to do a search before you create a new thread.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

^^ No doubt

Curling in the power or squat rack is a huge waste of resources.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Curling in the squat rack is akin to driving in the left lane while someone wants to pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post
    Curling in the squat rack is akin to driving in the left lane while someone wants to pass.
    hah! That rule is ancient history. In fact, not only are people oblivious to common courtesy on the road, I believe that there are a lot of people out there who drive at pace speeds in the left hand highway lanes just to piss everyone off. I know this, because I have seen them actively try to keep people from passing them.

*stands in squat rack all day with EZ curl bar*
    Last edited by zen; 09-18-2007 at 10:25 AM.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Sometimes when the gym is busy I do barbell rows at the bench press bench, because my split has a horizantal push/pull day and I superset rows and bench press. Do you think that is the same thing as curling in the squat rack?

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    Sometimes when the gym is busy I do barbell rows at the bench press bench, because my split has a horizantal push/pull day and I superset rows and bench press. Do you think that is the same thing as curling in the squat rack?
    If you are taking up the equipment so that someone could not "work in" then it is inconsiderate if it is the only piece of equipment do safely perform a multi-joint exercise correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by DoUgL@S View Post
    If you are taking up the equipment so that someone could not "work in" then it is inconsiderate if it is the only piece of equipment do safely perform a multi-joint exercise correctly.
    No, I always let people work in with me if they ask. I just superset rows and bench, so I do it all with the bench press bar. I'm probably the only one in the whole gym that rows with the bench press bar, but it makes supersetting a lot easier then trying to tie up two pieces of equipment. You know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    No, I always let people work in with me if they ask. I just superset rows and bench, so I do it all with the bench press bar. I'm probably the only one in the whole gym that rows with the bench press bar, but it makes supersetting a lot easier then trying to tie up two pieces of equipment. You know what I mean?
    The you are NOT inconsiderate.

Next time someone does this I'm going to ask them if I can work in, in order to show them how to properly use the equipment.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs