The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Why is my chest sore after back day????

Today is my chest day, which follows back day. Here are the exercises I did yesterday...

Deadlifts (5 sets)
    Pullups (3 sets)
    T-bar rows (3 sets)
    Hammer High Row (3 sets with light weight)

...and now today my pecs are sore, mostly in the outer area. This usually happens everyweek and it's pissing me off. I currently follow a four day split which is setup like this:

Day1: Back
    Day2: Chest

Day3: Off
    Day4: Legs
    Day5: Shoulders

Day6: Off
    Repeat

I've already spent about 7-8 months on BGB and I'd really like to stick to this four day split, but possibly rearrange the days to avoid having sore pecs on chest day. Or does anyone have any recommendations for back exercises I could do that shouldn't cause my pecs to be sore?

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

???

I'm just as confused as you are..
    The only thing I could think of is possible pull ups for some reason. Maybe you're flexing your chest at the top perhaps? I wouldn't rearrange the days, I would figure out what's causing this.

On a side note, as good as BGB is, I don't know why you would stick to it for 7-8 months. Unless of course you are continuing to make great gains off it.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I enjoyed the routine a lot, after about 5 months I switched gyms, so I had to swap some of the exercises for similar ones, which kept it from getting boring. I figured I'd just stick with it for the next 2 months (the summer) and start a new routine once school started.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

that is really weird. Maybe you are going to far back and stretching/pulling your pecs. I don't even know if this is possible. Just a thought.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

I think the answer lies in part of this article...

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/magic_pin_pull.htm

"As for building your chest, I think the pin pull is probably one of the best chest exercises out there. You are probably scratching your head, but let me explain:

The pin pull puts tremendous strain on the pec. Donít believe me? Grab a training partnerís pec (make sure you get consent first) while they do them or perform a few reps while looking in a mirror. You wonít believe the contraction. If you have ever torn your pec, you know how much it hurts to pull. This alone shows how much pec is involved with the pin pull. And donít forget that you can handle much more weight on the pin pull then the bench press. Bigger weights = Bigger muscles." -Jim Wendler

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post

"As for building your chest, I think the pin pull is probably one of the best chest exercises out there. You are probably scratching your head, but let me explain:

The pin pull puts tremendous strain on the pec. Donít believe me? Grab a training partnerís pec (make sure you get consent first) while they do them or perform a few reps while looking in a mirror. You wonít believe the contraction. If you have ever torn your pec, you know how much it hurts to pull. This alone shows how much pec is involved with the pin pull. And donít forget that you can handle much more weight on the pin pull then the bench press. Bigger weights = Bigger muscles." -Jim Wendler
    Interesting

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Quote Originally Posted by bigmoney View Post

Very interesting article.

But yeah, I think he nailed it on the head.

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The chest is engaged as a stabilizer and assistant muscle in pull ups a well.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Hasn't everyone had different parts of their upper body become sore after a good chest/back/or shoulder workout?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB View Post
    Hasn't everyone had different parts of their upper body become sore after a good chest/back/or shoulder workout?
    No.

The body parts that I train directly is what becomes sore.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    No.

The body parts that I train directly is what becomes sore.
    What are you talking about. I've heard you ask why something else is sore when you didn't even train that muscle.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours View Post
    What are you talking about. I've heard you ask why something else is sore when you didn't even train that muscle.
    I can remember rare times when that's happened but it's nothing that happens to me consistently or nothing that I can figure out and pinpoint why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I can remember rare times when that's happened but it's nothing that happens to me consistently or nothing that I can figure out and pinpoint why it happened.
    .....Which is exactly what HahnB is saying.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by World-Is-Yours View Post
    .....Which is exactly what HahnB is saying.
    Lol what? Don't be difficult, dude.

The thread is about finding a reason as to WHY it happens. HahnB made it sound like it happens often to him and/or he has an understanding why it happens.

Yeah like my abs were sore after doing pullovers and with military press once or twice
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

Quote Originally Posted by Ramstein85 View Post
    Yeah like my abs were sore after doing pullovers and with military press once or twice
    That's understandable. Your core tightens on almost all compound movements.
    Last edited by Phenom; 09-18-2007 at 09:48 PM.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

Wannabebig Member
    Probably for the same reason my lats get sore after working out my chest, especially when doing negs. The lats act as stabilizer muscles. It seems strange due to the fact that the lats aren't actually pulling any weight but the muscle is shortening ( contracting) while resisting the force during the negative portion of the exercise.

My chest has been sore after a back workout before, it doesn't happen a lot but it does on occasion. I figured everyone has experienced this before. Sometimes if I do a lot of over head pressing my chest will be a little sore as well.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock