The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr.Olympia 2007

Mr.Olympia 2007

I cant believe there isn't a Mr.Olympia 2007 thread yet.

So, whos it going to be this year? What is going to be the outcome? Who can't wait to see the show!?

Eddie Abbew - United Kingdom
    Melvin Anthony - USA
    Gustavo Badell - Puerto Rico
    Ronnie Coleman - USA
    Jay Cutler - USA
    Mark Dugdale - USA
    Toney Freeman - USA
    Marcus Haley - USA
    Phil Heath - USA
    Dexter Jackson - USA
    Victor Martinez - Dominican Rep.
    Ronny Rockel - Germany
    Markus Ruhl - Germany
    Silvio Samuel - Spain
    Sergey Shelestov - Russia
    Vince Taylor - USA
    Dennis Wolf - Germany
    Hidetada Yamagishi - Japan
    Darrem Charles - USA
    David Henry - USA

What do you think the top 5 will be this year? Will Big Ron take back what was his?

Jay's current bodyweight is at 281lbs with 3.1% bodyfat
    Ronnie says he is going to come on stage with 285 shredded.
    Toney Freeman states that he is currently at 297lbs
    Melvin was at 250lbs a night before the Atlantic City
    Dennis Wolf was 283lbs two weeks ago

Ronnie Coleman sadly confirmed the rumors about his retirement, he will retire after this O show but not completely from the Bodybuilding stages just from the Mr. Olympia stage. He also confirms that he might compete at the Arnold Classic next spring and that he wants to go to Europe to spent some time over there.

I got all of this from a source online, I'm not sure how much of it is true.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    1. Coleman
    2. Cutler

Arnold for 2012 Mr. O!

There has been an on going discussion for over a month now.

http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=100738

Recent pictures of Ronnie are pretty impressive. He will come in more shredded than Jay (conditioning has never been his issue). The question is have his injuries healed? Is he still missing a lat and tricep? I hope Ronnie pulls it out.

Jay will be second.

Vic Martinez will come in third. If Vic brings his conditioning he can stand next to anyone in terms of size.

Toney is big. Not sure if his back is as big as the top 3.

Melvin looks great always. His condition is always sharp. His waist is so damn impressive. My favorite physique.

Wolf is still a couple years away. He hasn't quite figured out his conditioning yet. He was holding water in his back during his last show. I think he and Vic will be battling for the years to come.

Phil Heath is a darkhorse for top 5. He is a freak and coming into his own.
    Last edited by cphafner; 09-19-2007 at 09:50 PM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

hey cp where you finding recent pics of ronnie at? I saw a couple but havent found much. He's looking damn good from what I saw.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    hey cp where you finding recent pics of ronnie at? I saw a couple but havent found much. He's looking damn good from what I saw.
    It turns out the pictures I saw of Ronnie were not new. Here are some from BSN. It is clear he still has a lat and tricep injury. Based on these I might not be picking Ron to win.

http://www.bsnonline.net/vision/imag...nnie%20Coleman
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

One look at Ronnies hair and I already want him to win

Yea, those were the pictures I saw, without the Front Double Bi, which obviously shows his lat and tri is really lagging. Damn thats disappointing, I hate to see the douchebag Cutler take 1st.
    Last edited by jAy_Dub; 09-19-2007 at 10:42 PM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig![/font][/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    Whats with the totally 80's cut?

Anyways anyone going? I am suppose to be there for work, but still not a definete. I have to be in Vegas around the same time, so we will see.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.

Quote Originally Posted by jAy_Dub View Post
    Yea, those were the pictures I saw, without the Front Double Bi, which obviously shows his lat and tri is really lagging. Damn thats disappointing, I hate to see the douchebag Cutler take 1st.
    I know I can't stand Cutler. He might be the worst champion in Mr Olympia history. I hope Ronnie wins so he can retire as the People'e Champ!
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

there's no way in hell ronnie will win this year. its too bad he hasn't been able to bounce back and fully heal up those injuries. a lot of guys never look the same after tearing something.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Ė Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I"m glad Cutler won last year. He'd earned it. Just means Coleman will have to come in without a bloated gut.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

Unfortunate that Jay won it with Ron not at his best and we won't get to see who would win if Ronnie was 100%. I'm not so sure Jay will get it again though, maybe someone else?
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

That would be amazing to see someone totally unexpected take it. I doubt it will be anyone else then the two of them.
    After Ronnie is gone next year, it's basically anyone's game. Next year will be even more interesting.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

I hope big Ron comes back to take it back.
    Bench:225x5, 255x1
    Squat:350x5
    Dead:370x5, 415x1

Quote Originally Posted by Jinkies View Post
    haha, exactly what I was thinking
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut

Quote Originally Posted by cphafner View Post
    There has been an on going discussion for over a month now.
    Ya, I was going to say that's been going on for a while now. But I'm surprised no one really has been writing in it recently.

1. Jay (Very unfortunate)
    2. Ronnie (Too bad his injuries are as clear as day)
    3. Victor

The rest will be too hard to tell. Some people might have stepped it up since last year. I hope all the best for Dexter though..

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

What day and time does the show start? I'm hearing the 29th and the 30th and can't seem to find it for whatever reason..

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    What day and time does the show start? I'm hearing the 29th and the 30th and can't seem to find it for whatever reason..
    28th--prejudging

29th--finals

www.getbig.com

its so unrealistic for me to see a picture of one of the best and biggest bodybuilders ever and then read a comment that says he is lagging, that his triceps are lagging.

His triceps is as big as me, he is not lagging.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

I am a newb on this site, and I don't really know much about bodybuilding.
    I have heard of maybe like 3 or 4 of these guys, but most of them I've heard nothing about. These gentleman are really huge and it has taken a lot of hard work to get there obviously. But I am curious how much these guys lift. I am NOT criticising or anything AT ALL. I know that some powerlifters and olympic lifters make fun of bodybuilders(and I heard a powerlifter-type at my old gym make fun of a bodybuilder at the gym). But I think everyone should respect the goals of others. I respect them both. But anyway, my question:

Where can I find out how much these guys lift?(especially on the big three, if they do that.) I have been searching and looking for this information but I have been unable to find anything. I know they are not powerlifters and that is not their goal, but I would just like to know.

The best place to find out is videos on youtube. If you read articles, a lot of the stuff is made up, and you don't know what ROM they're using since there's no judging. There's a pretty big range of what they can lift, as some don't want to go too heavy in order to stay healthy, along with other reasons.

Thanks Doobs. I will look into that. YouTube is a good site.

I do have a question about this though:

Quote Originally Posted by Doobs View Post
    ...as some don't want to go too heavy in order to stay healthy, along with other reasons.
    I am surprised to read this. Many here do not seem to believe that going heavy is unhealthy. Is the above perspective your own as well? Or is it only meant to convey the mentality of certain bodybuilders? In either case, please explain the reasoning behind this, because I am interested. I have heard that lifting heavy can kill in some cases such as certain heart conditions and other things. But I know very little of it. So please elaborate.
    If you think this may be considered too off topic, please send me a PM if you have the time.
    Thanks again.

I'm speculating as to their reasons for not going heavy. They all lift heavy compared to you and me, so that's not the issue. The difference is that while Ronnie may do doubles and triples with 800 lbs on the squat, Jay Cutler may say "I'd rather do 10 reps with 500 lbs." If you're doing very low reps with high weight, there's a greater chance that you could get off-balance and hurt yourself, or you might not be warmed up enough. When you're lifting something for 10-15 reps, it's easier to control, and toward the end of the set when it's harder to control, your muscles will be a little warmer.

A lot of bodybuilders will buy into the myths of high reps for toning and stuff like that. They get great results from stuff that wouldn't work for you and me and isn't optimal, but since it's working they think that's the best way to do it.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand now.

Anyone have an idea of when the show will end on Saturday night? It starts at 7pm. My Birthday is on Saturday night and need to know this ASAP!!!