Thread: Kettlebell Exercise Form - Advice needed.

Kettlebell Exercise Form - Advice needed.

G'days Ghouls and Gals

I've recently purchased a kettlebell for cardio and entertainment purposes and have been messing around doing a few exercises. I've got the hang of the swing, it's a good fun exercise and definitely gets the heart-rate going. The snatch is also pretty good and I feel my form is ok on that (I will probably post some videos soon-ish). I've not yet tried anything other then these exercises (e.g. Turkish Get-Ups or Windmills) as I don't really know where to get advice or instructional videos on form.
    My issue is with the clean. Whenever i pull it up I seem to keep banging on the top of my forearm (close to my wrist). In which way can you position your arm so that this doesn't happen? I've tried a few different ways but nothing is seeming to help and to be honest I'm not too keen to just keep practicing them lest I somehow damage a nerve or something.

So who can help me out? Also does anyone know a good site with instructional videos for Kettlebell work? I can't really afford to get a Pavel book at the moment.

Spanks for all advice and suggestions offered .

Also, here is a little kettlebell routine I came up with to act as a bit of cardio. I'm just doing this till i feel I would last past the first minute of Tabata then i'm straight into that ;-).

20 Double handed swings
    10 One handed swings (either arm)
    10 Cleans & Jerks (either arm)
    20 Front Squats
    10 Snatches (either arm)
    20 Figure 8's**
    5 Shoulder Press (either arm)
    10 Front Squats

** (I pass the KB through my legs in a figure 8 path. Seems to really work core and leg muscles... seems to. If anyone disagrees or thinks this could be dangerous please say so
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Anthony DiLuigio has a great video series called "The Minute of Strength" - a lot of kettlebell instruction. Look through all the archives - you'll learn a ton:
    http://www.artofstrength.com/Newslet...5/Default.aspx

Jason Brown of kettlebellathletics.com has some great instructional videos too: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?us...lAthletics&p=r

As far as the clean goes, start with the arm inwardly rotated and outwardly rotate the arm as you clean it. The movement should look like an uppercut. If you do it correctly there shouldn't be much bang at all on your forearm.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    20 Double handed swings
    10 One handed swings (either arm)
    10 Cleans & Jerks (either arm)
    20 Front Squats
    10 Snatches (either arm)
    20 Figure 8's**
    5 Shoulder Press (either arm)
    10 Front Squats
    Have you tried this yet?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Have you tried this yet?
    Yep . I almost died doing it... and my pace wasn't fantastic but I managed.
    I don't think I did the last set of front squats though.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I think if you can make it through that workout without setting down the KB, you're more than ready for Tabata!
    Last edited by Anthony; 09-20-2007 at 09:52 AM.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Just curious what brand of kettlebell did you buy and how to you like it?also what weight?

I bought a Kettlebell from a company in Australia... I love the thing it's so much fun. 16kg
    My Journal

Wannabebig New Member

Thanks for the post

Thanks sensei, I have also purchased a kettlebell having 16 kg weight.Last one week i have done the workout consistently.the links which have you given that was too usefull.