The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Eating at school

Im trying to pack on a couple lbs and having a hard time doing it due to the fact that my lunch period this year is very late for me (like 12:30, but as compared to last year when i ate at 10:30) and i get very hungry. I know I can take protein bars and eat them but I didn't know if there was anything else that you guys would recommend, because the bars sit in my stomach like a brick the rest of the day.
    Thanks

wontstop
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Wannabebig Member
    Almost any kind of nuts, Almonds, peanuts, cashews and walnuts are my favorites. Easy to eat, easy to store and don't go bad or spoil in a couple days.

Dried fruit is good too if you don't mind carbs and sugars. If you have a dehydrator, make some beef jerky, or if you are rich and can afford to buy it in the store, do that. (I do on occasion, but it gets expensive for the good stuff)

Yeah if I get to go deer hunting this year I was planning on making some jerky to take. I'll try some nuts and stuff, dried fruit sounds pretty good too.

I appreciate the help

wontstop
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Teutates View Post
    Almost any kind of nuts, Almonds, peanuts, cashews and walnuts are my favorites. Easy to eat, easy to store and don't go bad or spoil in a couple days.

Dried fruit is good too if you don't mind carbs and sugars. If you have a dehydrator, make some beef jerky, or if you are rich and can afford to buy it in the store, do that. (I do on occasion, but it gets expensive for the good stuff)
    Im in school and I have the same problem. I always try to bring bags of nuts. Also, lately I've been bringing protein bars, which have something like 300 cals/bar. It keeps me alive until after class, which is when I stuff my face with cafateria food.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Quote Originally Posted by wontstop View Post
    Yeah if I get to go deer hunting this year I was planning on making some jerky to take. I'll try some nuts and stuff, dried fruit sounds pretty good too.

I appreciate the help

wontstop
    I'm going hunting too, its hard to get in your calories. Actually, its almost imposible. I live on trail mix.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Yeah the only problem with bringing the deer jerky to school is half my friends eat it before I get a chance to. haha
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutates View Post

But eating too much such things is not good for our health

Quote Originally Posted by murray421 View Post
    But eating too much such things is not good for our health
    Please explain as I thought that dried fruits and things like that were good for you. I'm not being sarcastic, but I would like you to elaborate if you can. I really want to know more about nutrition as that is probably one of my weakest areas.
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    Yeah, pray tell how eating some nuts, dried fruit or dehydrated meat is "bad for our health." Obviously he is only going to eat them at school, not for every meal, so how is once a day for 5 days "too much."

I love how people on this board talk about eating 7000 calories (often Mcdonalds or stuff with tons of Mayo or miracle whip in it), but somebody suggests something THEY don't personally eat, and it is "magically" bad for them if you "eat too much" which of course means at all.
    Last edited by Teutates; 09-21-2007 at 06:22 AM.

eating too much of anything in excess is bad for health

Dried fruits contain loads of concentrated fructose and its easy to overspill on them as only the liver can store and process it. Once the sotres are full it gets turned into adipose tissue

Again common sense needs to be applied here and make sure they form part of a well balanced diet plan.

As for your problem with eating, liquid calories will help here. Look at the shakes in the recipe section and make some up and store it in a flask

Wannabebig Member
    Riight, cause I was suggesting he eat them in excess.

Anyway, I'm through with listening to people that say that eating fruit or milk is "bad" for you and cite insulin spikes (unless you are diabetic or eating a whole hell of a lot of this stuff, you don't need to worry about this ****) or overspilling or whatnot. If your diet looks good enough, worrying about piddly ass details like is 100g of sugar going to turn right into fat, oh noes! Cause you never burn fat at all...

edit: I think it is funny that somebody would cheer on eating a 1000 calorie shake in one setting, complementing it as a good thing, and then turn around and frown on eating a handful of dried fruit with some nuts or jerky because some of it might get turned to fat... Yeah, cause your body doesn't take that surplus of calories from the shake and turn it into fat or anything.
    Last edited by Teutates; 09-21-2007 at 07:10 AM.

Also most dried fruit has tons of added HFCS and sugars. Unless you can find a "fruit only" brand or make it yourself.
    Nick V

Wannabebig Member
    I would recommend making it yourself, of course, but some of the "organic" fruits don't contain anything but real dried fruit. They are more expensive though, which is why I recommend making it over buying it.

Riight, cause I was suggesting he eat them in excess.
    I never said you suggested to either.
    Anyway, I'm through with listening to people that say that eating fruit or milk is "bad" for you and cite insulin spikes (unless you are diabetic or eating a whole hell of a lot of this stuff, you don't need to worry about this ****) or overspilling or whatnot. If your diet looks good enough, worrying about piddly ass details like is 100g of sugar going to turn right into fat, oh noes! Cause you never burn fat at all...
    Spiking insulin is not recommended outside of PWO due to numerous factors involved. Raising insulin however is another matter entirely. Raise it dont spike it constantly unless you wanna end up insulin resistant.

As for milk, its not bad due to the insulin spiking properties, i just dont like it because anything other than skimmed has damaged fats.

Overspill is something to worry about really, liver only holds the top end of 70g of glycogen so fructose heads for it to top it up, you overspill it goes into fat tissue. Its a good fact thats all and it will help any weight trainer make food choices accordingly to suit their goals, no need to get your boxers in a twist.

Also some people burn carbs at rest whereas others burn fat

edit: I think it is funny that somebody would cheer on eating a 1000 calorie shake in one setting, complementing it as a good thing, and then turn around and frown on eating a handful of dried fruit with some nuts or jerky because some of it might get turned to fat... Yeah, cause your body doesn't take that surplus of calories from the shake and turn it into fat or anything
    No idea whether any of your statements are aimed at me but i see nothing wrong with Jerky that doesnt taste like its been rolled in salt personally. I use it as part of a staple of my diet, also Biltong is nicer i find than jerky. Nuts and seeds make up my intake of Omega fats and i tend to avoid dried fruit as i find a whole apricot more enjoyable than 1 dried one for example

As for the 1000 calorie shake, simple answer is if you have the lean mass to support such a beat of a shake then go for it, otherwise eating bigger than you need to wil only make you fatter than you originally intended which means one long ass cut
    Last edited by theravingphycho; 09-21-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    It doesn't matter if it goes to fat, if you drink that 1000 calorie shake and it is digested in 2 hours, and you don't burn 1000 calories in that 2 hours, It WILL go to fat too(depending on individual intestinal efficiencies, otherwise pooped out). So you nitpicking about a handful of grams of fat from fructose metabolism when you are getting probably 4-5 times the grams of fat buildup from your excessive caloric shake.

It is meaningless to squabble about it, because unless you are eating tons of dried fruit or fruit juices or whatnot, it doesn't matter.

edit: sorry for a rude comment, cut it out because it didn't contribute to the arugment
    Last edited by Teutates; 09-21-2007 at 10:38 AM.

My ego doesnt come into this actually and im not here to troll or to have "im smarter than you" arguments with people

1000 calories, in one sitting, for me no way. I dont hold enough lean tissue to support that kind of intake from one meal and i aint light either

I do not advocate eating huge amounts just for the sake of it, eat enough to feed and grow muscle not fat stores

ok didn't mean for this to get into an argument, I think I'll find something to take.

wontstop
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs