The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Is there a weightlifting and nutrition major you can take in college?

I remarked about this in another thread as a joke, but it got me thinking...is there anything like this. I know there's kinseology or whatever...but that's like body movements and stuff isn't it? I guess you can't take a major to learn how to eat properly and how to lift properly or we could all be in college, eh?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You let me know if you find anything.
    18 yrs old
    176 lbs

Just looking to build muscle, not too worried about being cut

I think whilst there is a lot to learning how to lift weight properly you could not structure an entire degree around it. In Australia we've got a degree known as "Exercise Science" which I guess would cover some weight training as well as other types of activities. To eat properly I guess you could do a nutrition course?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

I think you can get an Exercise Physiology degree and lots of schools will have a nutrition major and/or minor
    5'10", 170lbs, 10% bf

Bench:255 Squat:295 Dead:400
    Snatch:145 C&J: 205
    Chin-Up: +135 Dip: +100
    Max Pull-Ups: 44

CrossFit Lv. 1, ACE-CPT

You want our weapons!? Come and get them!

Wannabebig Member
    God knows why you would want to. 4-5 years as an undergrad, 4-5 years graduate work (makin 23k a year by stipend), 2-3 years post-graduate fellowship (not making much more than that 23k a year) just to make 60-75k a year doing research on people by feeding em sugar pills or some new supplement and taking notes.

Quote Originally Posted by Teutates View Post
    God knows why you would want to. 4-5 years as an undergrad, 4-5 years graduate work (makin 23k a year by stipend), 2-3 years post-graduate fellowship (not making much more than that 23k a year) just to make 60-75k a year doing research on people by feeding em sugar pills or some new supplement and taking notes.
    Hey hey Mr Positivity!
    Strength and Conditioning Coaches?
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Teutates View Post
    because some of us actually want to enjoy our job when we get older?

besides, strength and conditioning coach is badass

Wannabebig New Member
    your best job bet to be in the workout room constantly is exercise science. I have a class in the gym, and one coming up in the fitness center.

I have a degree in exercise science and am currently getting my masters in Physical Therapy. Nutrition is it's own field but can sometimes be done as a minor. Look into the schools you want to attend and what is available to you. But most important is what your end goal is. If you want to be a personal trainer you certainly dont need a degree and can make plenty of money if you do it right.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

BTW, most exercise science/physiology and some kinesiology degree's are a little more advanced than just working out and learning the muscles. In my school it's a pre-med degree. I would assume this is the case, or very close to it in most schools. Meaning it's fairly demanding.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Kinesiology is a semi-popular major out here... many of the guys on my powerlifting club are in it. There's a wide range of specialties, such as athletic training, nutrition, and strength and conditioning I think.

They take some tough physical sciences too I think.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    Kinesiology is a semi-popular major out here... many of the guys on my powerlifting club are in it. There's a wide range of specialties, such as athletic training, nutrition, and strength and conditioning I think.

They take some tough physical sciences too I think.
    yea, i tell people im an exercise science major, they dont realize it is a SCIENCE, with mostly science core classes, and its not as easy as most people make it sound.

I just ended up telling people I was pre-med major cuz I got sick of the ******ed questions once the word exercise was used.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President