The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

hi - a few questions from a newbie

Hi there - new here.

I've recently begun training with my dumbells/barbell and would greatly appreciate a few tips and answers to the following questions. A bit of background info: 27 years old; not a total newbie to training; former tennis coach; stocky build, not huge but pretty strongly built; interested in building arms above all.

1) What's better after warming up - 15 lifts/curls/iterations with heavy but a manageable weight or 3/4 really tough lifts with a very heavy weight? Many and heavy, or few and very heavy?

2) How many lifts per exercise should one do? I tend to do 15 or so for warm-up, then up the weights incrementally and do another 2 or 3 lots of 8-15.

3) How is it best to organise my week's training: today muscle x, tomorrow muscle y, day after muscle z etc, or should sessions work several muscles using different exercises? If the latter, how many days should I wait before working those muscles again? In essense: how often per week should you work a muscle?

4) I'm a vegetarian so I work a bit harder than most to keep a strong figure. I do this with copious amounts of pasta, milk and bread. Does this sound sensible? Anything that would help the mix?

5) Am I right in thinking supplements are for those big into training as a sport, not for those who just use it as a means to get a bit bigger or refined? If not, would anyone recomment any common supplements (perhaps commonly found in sports shops or health shops) to help accelerate growth?

THANKS in advance.
    Andy

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Quote Originally Posted by mitya View Post
    Hi there - new here.

not a total newbie to training; former tennis coach; stocky build, not huge but pretty strongly built; interested in building arms above all.

well the main problem here is "interested in building arms above all"
    u wanna focus on the big compound lifts and use the bicep curls and things of that nature as a supplement and last in line to ur main lifts...
    You cant buy strength, but you sure as hell can work for it

You want big arms huh? What about chest, back, legs? Did you read the stickies before you posted? I'm sure you did because those are the rules. From reading the stickies you should then know the anwsers to most all of you questions. Wasn't that easy? Good for you!
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-25-2007 at 04:49 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!