The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Completely disheartening...

Why am I progressing so slow? I have been doing the WBB1 for 8 months now and I feel like it's not even doing anything. I have been consistent with my workouts as well.

I have gained about 10 pounds. At this point in time, I am roughly 5'8" and 155 lbs.

When I first started working out, I slapped together some stupid routine that got bashed here pretty badly. It worked a hell of a lot better than this one. I don't get it. I don't think my biceps have even gained a half cm.
    Last edited by Morox; 09-11-2007 at 12:37 AM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think you look better, not hugely but better. That being said you never mentioned diet once, which is what puts muscle on you. Make progress in the gym and eat more than you burn, rest and you will grow. You have gained 10lbs in 8 months, that's your problem.

Also you said you feel like your not doing anything, do you mean your actuall workouts or your progress. What type of effort are you putting into each workout.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Trust me bro like Smalls said, i used to lift weights before but never eat anywhere near enough, so i completely disregard those days as me 'having lifted before' it all started when i joined this forum and joined www.fitday.com calculated my cals + protein. Make sure you get around 3500 calories +. I followed a diet of 3.5-4k cals for one month and i gained 11lbs. Of course its not all LBM but i definitely got stronger and bigger too. EATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, get peanut butter and force feed yourself a couple of tablespoons when your on the computer/watching tv. Search for post-workout shake recipes, olive oil, raw nuts (brazil/ walnut/ hazelnuts/ almonds/peanuts). Stuff like that will help you get the calories easier.
    Wake up and have one cup of oatmeal with honey + 6 egg whites. Trust me, if i can gain 11lbs in a month, you should be able to at least get 8lbs. I used to think i ate like a mofo and never gained, but it was rubbish i jsut didnt calculate how many calories i was taking in each day. Sorry for the long ass post, good luck.

PS I do some progress, but you can get it much faster just dont give up and do what i told u and lift heavy and rest enough (8hours sleep minimum)
    It all comes down to "Light W e i g h t... babeh!", "Ain't nuthin but a peanut!" and "Yeahhhhh buddy!" - Ronnie Coleman

It's all about the benjamins....

And so it came to pass...

Weight: 85kg/13 Stone

i agree with the advice above. start tracking your cals on fitday and you'll start making some progress.

on another note, legs are looking absolutely sick in that new avatar, smalls.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

indomitable will.
    Without knowing your diet, (for example, if you're not eating enough calories to grow, you're not going to grow, period) it's hard to say why your progress isn't so great.

Also, I think WBB1 kind of sucks. Not at all because it's a body part split, but because for a body part split, it lacks the volume of a body part split. It's like 4 sets per muscle group per week or something close to that. That's like normal upper/lower/off/upper/lower type volume, only it's once per week.

I think your diet is probably you're biggest problem (only a guess, though) and that, either way, you should switch to WBB1.1 or BGB or something similar.

Banned
    Although you've only gained 10 lbs, you look noticeable leaner too. That means you burned fat and gained muscle. If you aren't satisfied with your results and have been busting your ass in the gym, then you gotta rethink your diet.

You are obviously not eating anything if you only gained 10lbs of anything (fat or muscle) in 8 months. You should of been able to gain at least 50lbs of mass (fat & muscle) during that time. You should also look for another routine as WBB doesn't always work. It never worked for me. Also, stop worrying about bicep size. I don't know why everyone is so obsessed with this 1 tiny muscle on the body.

From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Quote Originally Posted by RBB View Post
    i agree with the advice above. start tracking your cals on fitday and you'll start making some progress.

on another note, legs are looking absolutely sick in that new avatar, smalls.
    Thanks bro, really appreciate it. Now to just get my upper body halfway to your level.

To the original poster, what does your diet look like now. Do you track it. You have the advice you need now do it. You will be surprised at the progress in the gym simply from eating more.
    Last edited by smalls; 09-11-2007 at 11:39 AM.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

Disheartened why?

You gained 10 pounds and you look leaner than the before pics, that's pretty good. I would suggest moving into the 21st century and quit the body part split. Train upper/lower 4 times per week and eat a slight excess.

I'd ignore the standard WBB advice of gaining 20 pounds of fat to gain 10 pounds of muscle (like gaining 50lbs in 8 months). Slow and steady is the best way to go. Dieting for 6 months to strip off all the unnecessary fat gain is not fun. People have really unrealistic expectations about how much muscle they can gain without drugs. For a natural, gaining 1-1.5 lbs of muscle per month is really good. Think of where you would be in 2-3 years at that rate of growth.
    Last edited by Vapour Trails; 09-11-2007 at 11:50 AM.
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

Eat more, train harder, upp the weight weekly and do alot of sets/reps.

Put on 30lbs in 50 weeks put 100 on your bench 100+ on your squat and slap a 45 on your pullups for the same reps. Once you have done this I guarantee you will have put on alot of muscle.

http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

5x5 generator will make sure that you are always progressing, eat when ever you feel hungry and dont leave the table until your full.
    __
    Yeah Yeah you dont need to gain excess fat to put on muscle but this is a proven easy way to put on muscle and aparently the try to stay lean while bulking diet isnt working for him.
    YOU CANT BUY STRENGTH

You gained 10 pounds in 8 months? You should have gained 100lbs in 8 months. Well, that may be a bit excessive, but you see my point, don't you?

Banned
    Kid, do 3x3, focusing on BP, Squat, and DL and eat like a PHUCKEN animal (4-5000 cals a day). Come back in 8 months and post picks again.

You're welcome.

I was getting 3200 calories a day when I tried bulking. I did it for around 4 months and it did very little. My diet on my bulk consisted of a lot of meat and dairy products.

Don't go hog wild on your eating, you DO NOT want to get fat. Take it from someone who's a grade A American fatty... DO NOT get fat.

If you've gained 10 pounds in 8 months and it was all muscle, then really you can't be that disappointed in it. This is where it gets confusing for me.

It does not look like you put on 10 pounds of muscle, someone in your body fat range would get noticeably bigger from 10 pounds of LBM. You like like you gained maybe 2-3 pounds at best and leaned out slightly.

Most people think that if they aren't gaining weight that they aren't training hard enough, so they train harder but usually don't eat any more then they were. You have to eat more, plain and simple but don't eat 2000 calories more then you really need.

The unassisted lifter can gain about 2 pounds a month of muscle, maybe a little more with good genetics. 16 pounds of muscle will make a big difference on someone your size, a big difference... hell even in someone my size. So eat 500 calories a day over what you need and you have your bulk. If you maintain weight at 3000 calories you don't bulk on 5000... unless you want to have man titties. You bulk on 3500, again assuming you maintain on 3000.

You look much better. Keep doing what you're doing. Patience. 10 years from now you'll look like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by WBBIRL View Post
    Don't go hog wild on your eating, you DO NOT want to get fat. Take it from someone who's a grade A American fatty... DO NOT get fat.

If you've gained 10 pounds in 8 months and it was all muscle, then really you can't be that disappointed in it. This is where it gets confusing for me.

It does not look like you put on 10 pounds of muscle, someone in your body fat range would get noticeably bigger from 10 pounds of LBM. You like like you gained maybe 2-3 pounds at best and leaned out slightly.

Most people think that if they aren't gaining weight that they aren't training hard enough, so they train harder but usually don't eat any more then they were. You have to eat more, plain and simple but don't eat 2000 calories more then you really need.

The unassisted lifter can gain about 2 pounds a month of muscle, maybe a little more with good genetics. 16 pounds of muscle will make a big difference on someone your size, a big difference... hell even in someone my size. So eat 500 calories a day over what you need and you have your bulk. If you maintain weight at 3000 calories you don't bulk on 5000... unless you want to have man titties. You bulk on 3500, again assuming you maintain on 3000.
    I have been sitting at my weight by just eating two meals a day. Right around 2000 calories. I am thinking 2800-3000 should probably put me on a slow bulk.

Learning as I progress
    Im in more or less the same boat as you, except I could easily eat more.

I always thought maintianing my weight and just busting my ass would show results, but to really see progress, im beggining to realize you need to actually change something abouts your body. In our cases, eating a bit more food than necessary seems like the only way.

Id say just be reasonable, take it slow, and track body comp changes. Too fast and slow down, not fast enough and you pick it up a bit. Come back in 1 year. Thats what I am about to start...

GL.
    Complication breeds desperation.

Quote Originally Posted by Morox View Post
    I have been sitting at my weight by just eating two meals a day. Right around 2000 calories. I am thinking 2800-3000 should probably put me on a slow bulk.

For a short time maybe, but you just said your were at 3200 cals a day for 4 months and it did very little right? Well why did you stay at 3200 then, bump it to 3400, 3700. You can grow, it just takes applying the principles. Keep it up.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

schmitty199
    Your definetly a victim of undereating. Cant build something without the materials man.

Eat up and you'll see way bigger gains over the next 8 months.
    Height:5'10
    Weight: 203
    Bench-295
    Squat-515
    Hclean-305
    JOURNAL: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...ight=schmittys

Take the advice smalls is giving. I was about that size (frame, and fat mass) and it took me bulking until about 25 y/o before I needed to slow down. You may pack on fat faster but it should be another 30 pds at the least before your bf gets very high. Are you afraid of getting fat, that's what holds a lot of young guys back.
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by bill View Post
    Take the advice smalls is giving. I was about that size (frame, and fat mass) and it took me bulking until about 25 y/o before I needed to slow down. You may pack on fat faster but it should be another 30 pds at the least before your bf gets very high. Are you afraid of getting fat, that's what holds a lot of young guys back.
    I know that is a fear of mine. Cant speak for moroxo however.
    Complication breeds desperation.

I started at 145 lbs and put on 50 lbs over 9 months and still was not fat. If you lift with enough intensity (especially on the big 3, deadlift, squat and bench) and consistency while keeping your diet clean while still getting enough protein and calories, you should be able to make great progress.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Eat. EAT. EAT!!!

Watchya talkn bout willis
    Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    Disheartened why?

Slow and steady is the best way to go. Dieting for 6 months to strip off all the unnecessary fat gain is not fun.
    I agree, cutting isn't fun
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Quote Originally Posted by Leeman View Post
    Eat more, train harder, upp the weight weekly and do alot of sets/reps.

Put on 30lbs in 50 weeks put 100 on your bench 100+ on your squat and slap a 45 on your pullups for the same reps. Once you have done this I guarantee you will have put on alot of muscle.

http://www.joeskopec.com/five.html

5x5 generator will make sure that you are always progressing, eat when ever you feel hungry and dont leave the table until your full.
    __
    Yeah Yeah you dont need to gain excess fat to put on muscle but this is a proven easy way to put on muscle and aparently the try to stay lean while bulking diet isnt working for him.

:withstupi

I think you fell trap to a common newbie mistake. Some people think if you just lift weights 3-4 times a week your body will magically jump from 150lb to 215lb. You probably was training hard but without proper diet you are missing half the puzzle.

Start eating more. I recommend drinking milk shakes after every meal. Cost like 99cents in the dairy section. Will give 400 calories more to every meal. Much easier than force feeding.

With excess calories and progression in your lifts the body has no choice but to grow.
    Last edited by blackboard; 09-13-2007 at 09:17 PM.