Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eating Acorns, is it a good idea?

Hybrid View

Eating Acorns, is it a good idea?

I have collected some acorns and I am considering eating them. It "seems" like a good idea. Have you ever eaten acorns?
    I *think* they are edible from what I have read, but I am not sure. Apparently, some Native American tribes used to harvest them, but it seems that had special methods of preparing them.

1.Is it a good idea to eat acorns?
    a. Are they edible?
    b. Are they healthy?

2. How does one tell if they have a "bad" acorn?

3. How should one prepare the acorns?(cooking, recipes...etc)

Thank you.

Just one question...Are you a squirrel?
    People who don't know how to keep themselves healthy ought to have the decency to get themselves buried, and not waste time about it.
    Henrik Ibsen

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor M. View Post
    Just one question...Are you a squirrel?

??? No. Of course not.

Banned
    A 0.19-second Google search for "cooking with acorns" netted me 283 web pages with that specific phrase, INCLUDING a pretty detailed wikipedia entry.

Don't you think that doing such a search would be a better first step in determining the nutrional value and preparation methodology for acorns?

You seem like a smart, articulate guy. It strikes me as odd that the Google approach wouldn't occur to you.

Relentless,
    Thank you for the good things that you said.
    I did search wikipedia, and I searched google as well. The wikipedia entry discussed a bit of the history of acorn consumption amongst Native American tribes, and the google searches turned up results that were less than helpful to me. I did find one to be particularly good:

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/clay79.html

But I wanted more perspectives, especially from the viewpoint of others on this forum(and specifically in the context of weight training and nutrition), who may have experiences with this type of thing, as well as additional recipes, and personal experiences in regard to the preparation of acorns, and other concerns especially with the cooking process.
    I just thought that I would benefit from the perspectives of other members here. It seems that I am unlikely to derive anything positive in regards to acorns from this thread. Please delete if you see fit. Furthermore, I request that you do delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    It seems that I am unlikely to derive anything positive in regards to acorns from this thread.
    For some reason, this makes me giggle every time I read it.

....I'm sorry about your acorn issues. People simply might find it a bit odd, since they aren't particularly tasty nuts. They certainly won't hurt you; I'd assume based on their species, most acorns are closer to fatty grains in their nutrition profile, so perhaps not as high in protein as most nuts.

They're edible; I'd blend them up and blend them into a loaf (kinda like a banana nut bread) rather than eating them straight.

But they probably won't be an asset to your diet.

I hope this was a positive contribution to acorns. Found in this thread.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    For some reason, this makes me giggle every time I read it.
    Okay.

....I'm sorry about your acorn issues.
    So am I.

People simply might find it a bit odd, since they aren't particularly tasty nuts.
    I do not see why they would find it odd considering I have never tasted one. But I am sure "they" find it odd, nonetheless.

They certainly won't hurt you;
    That is good to know.

I'd blend them up and blend them into a loaf (kinda like a banana nut bread) rather than eating them straight.
    I will consider this.

But they probably won't be an asset to your diet.
    I am disappointed to know this.

I hope this was a positive contribution to acorns.
    It was somewhat of a positive contribution to me. Somewhat negative to, but I will take what I can get.

My interest in acorns stems from an interest in paleolithic approaches to diet. This seems to be a trend that is gaining more momentum. There was the fact that I had to walk around a little and pick the acorns up off of the ground. So that is of additional benefit to someone who is mostly sedentary aside from engaging in recent weight training. There is also a "frugal" appeal that it has to me, as well.

Banned
    You hit the nail on the head when you said "TREND". Much like the ghey "core training" and "sport-specific training" and "functional training" trends.

Dude, eat some peanuts and call it a day. You want variety? Eat some mixed nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    You hit the nail on the head when you said "TREND".
    There is probably some truth to that. I was aware of the implications of using that word, but I decided to go with it anyway. But it just makes so much logical sense that it may be a good idea to eat a diet that is what our bodies were designed for. I don't know if you believe in evolution or not, so these time frames may not mesh with your belief systems:
    Agriculture started, probably about like what 6000-10,000 years ago? Depending on whom you ask.
    Human beings, as a distinct species, existed for about 100,000 years?
    So worst case scenario, as a species we were hunter-gatherers for approximately 90,000 years. Not to mention the vast amount of time we were not "modern" humans, or even "human" for that matter.

But I don't know how much of this talk of our paleolithic diet is actually due to quality scientific research and how much of it is pure speculation, unfounded guesswork, and conjecture.

Much like the ghey "core training" and "sport-specific training" and "functional training" trends.
    I note your objection to the above paradigms, and I will approach them with more skepticism whenever I encounter such ideas in the future.

Dude, eat some peanuts and call it a day. You want variety? Eat some mixed nuts.
    Thank you for the advice, I will likely do that. I eat a bit of peanut butter as well.

Wannabebig Member
    I ate a whole grocery bag full of acorns a few years ago, man you should've seen me go! I felt so awful the next day you would've thought I had been in a fight with a 300lb gorilla. I'll never do that again. LOL

Why the **** would you want to eat acorns anyways?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    1. I was curious what they tasted like.

2. They thought acorns may be healthy.

3. The acorns were free.
    Last edited by Sumorai; 09-23-2007 at 10:44 AM.

3. The acorns were free.
    Great thoughts honestly... but I think there is likely a reason why they are free. And and a reason why you don't hear people talking about eating them.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Read the Stickies! whiteman90909's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    Great thoughts honestly... but I think there is likely a reason why they are free. And and a reason why you don't hear people talking about eating them.
    Logic FTW

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    1. I was curious what they tasted like.

2. They thought acorns may be healthy.

3. The acorns were free.
    This made me lol. I'm having a sleepless night, so I tip my hat to you sir, for making it less miserable.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    I lol'd. Not for the comment as much as the comment following the reading others' (including Belial's).

Quote Originally Posted by galileo View Post
    I lol'd. Not for the comment as much as the comment following the reading others' (including Belial's).
    Admit it. You love nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Admit it. You love nuts.
    Mostly because they're free.

Hmmm interesting.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

You're a squirrel aren't you! Winters not here yet, you dont have to start collecting for a few months.

Really though, I'm not sure how much they will benefit your diet for the goals you probably want to achieve.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

Guys there some kentucky blue grass outside my house...I was wondering if I should start eating it. Its free, and cows eat it. Look at how big they are! Pshh forget the acorns dude, squirrel eat acorns all the time and look at how tiny they are. Go for you lawn so you can be big as a cow.
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

If anyone is unaware that squirrels eat acorns, then reading this thread would definitely remedy that.

One could only assume the preposterous verbosity utilized by the OP is designed to imply that this entire line of discourse is, well, a joke.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    One could only assume the preposterous verbosity utilized by the OP is designed to imply that this entire line of discourse is, well, a joke.

This thread was not intended to be a joke. I am completely serious. I do not understand why you would think my vocabulary or manner of writing implies that I am joking. Others have insisted on making a joke out of this thread, however. But that is their doing, not mine.
    I have made my share of sarcastic comments and attempts at humor on this forum, but I no longer do that. I was not being myself and all of my attempts to come off as "normal" have fallen flat on their face. I do not think it wise of me to force myself into ways of speaking and relating to others that are not natural for me. I was not being true to myself(nor my Self). This is how I am.
    When I am not being true to how I really am, I end up offending others and making a "donkey" of myself.