The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wannabebig Member

Maintaining 6pack??!

I just got a pretty big tattoo on my back that goes from shoulder to shoulder. Anyways, the guy who did my ink told me not to really do much exercise as far as my back goes. He told me no crunches for at-least 2 weeks. So I was wondering as long as I follow a strict diet, will I be able to maintain my 6pack? Will I lose any tone fron not being able to do crunches?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Probably gonna get REALLY chubby in two weeks.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

The real question is... can you squat?
    Sarvamangalam!

I "was" getting tired... 40 Nunc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    The real question is... can you squat?
    I thought the question was can you do tricep kickbacks... with gloves...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Crunches are a back exercise? And why the hell would you not do back exercise for two weeks? Your back isn't gonna magically get jacked and mess up the tattoo in 2 weeks.

And of course, crunches won't help you keep the 6 pack regardless.

Wannabebig Member
    Do squats without weight? I was thinking maybe pull ups? I jus want to make sure I don't lose any tone.

Wannabebig Member
    He said no cruches, cause your back touches the ground, when performing them.

Before the tat, I was just running, riding the bike, and doing crunches. Eating clean. I was just wondering if I eliminate the cruches, but do everything else, will I stil be as tone?

Buy a band, and do kneeling abs or standing abs.
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Dude I haven't done crunched for 2 months now and I still have an 8 pack. Compound lifts FTW.
    8:45 Heaven

I would be so sad if I could not squat.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I would be so sad if I could not squat.
    Trust me, it sucks terribly.
    Roll Tide.

Banned
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your new shoulder-to-shoulder tat either has something to do with MMA.

Yes?

I'd guess the real reason for not doing crunches is because the stretching that occurs on your back when doing them. I've got a tat on my left shoulder and was SUPPOSED to lay off working out for 2 weeks. That didn't happen and my tat is fine.
    Unless you eat like a complete pig (grunting included), drink a ****load of beer and gain 30 pounds for the 2 weeks that you don't do crunches, you should keep your 6 pack.
    I'm working on a kegger, myself.
    Last edited by rbtrout; 10-16-2008 at 11:42 AM.
    Give chalk a chance.

49 years old

665 squat
    700 deadlift
    325 bench

Quote Originally Posted by rbtrout View Post
    I'd guess the real reason for not doing crunches is because the stretching that occurs on your back when doing them. I've got a tat on my left shoulder and was SUPPOSED to lay off working out for 2 weeks. That didn't happen and my tat is fine.
    Unless you eat like a complete pig (grunting included), drink a ****load of beer and gain 30 pounds for the 2 weeks that you don't do crunches, you should keep your 6 pack.
    I'm working on a kegger, myself.
    I can vouch for RB on this one... I got a tattoo in highschool and my girlfriend freaked out... So I tried sanding it off with a dremel tool! Lots of smoke and blood but the tat remains to this day - 20+ years! I doubt crunches will do any damage...
    "There are no shortcuts. The fact that a shortcut is important to you means that you are a pussy. Let me be clear here: if you'd rather take steroids than do your squats heavy and drink enough milk, then you are a ****ing Pussy. I have no time or patience for ****ing Pussies. Please tell everyone you know that I said this." Mark Rippetoe

Read this -------------->> pipes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 40 Nunc View Post
    ... So I tried sanding it off with a dremel tool!

WTF!
    5'11" 220lbs.

BENCH - 330 x 1
    SQUAT - 405 x 1
    DEADLIFT - 450 x 1

"Whenever you do a thing, act as if all the world were watching." -- T.J.
    "Every success is built on the ability to do better than good enough." -- Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by pipes View Post
    WTF!
    Lol! I was a jackass before Jackass was cool... luckily I survived college and stupidity and can only hope my sons don't follow in those footsteps.

lmao. crunches wont get you "toned" in fact nothing will. you wont change at all in that two weeks even if you dont do anything at all. all around crunches are a next-to-useless exercise when it comes to abs. as posted above you're better off doing squats, and deadlifts.
    Green Tea
    17ys -175lbs
    Squat: 300
    Bench: 200
    Deadlift: 360
    Clean: 235

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad08 View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess your new shoulder-to-shoulder tat either has something to do with MMA.

Yes?
    Its a trible tat that goes from shoulder to shoulder, and up my neck. I like it.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Torrok View Post
    lmao. crunches wont get you "toned" in fact nothing will. you wont change at all in that two weeks even if you dont do anything at all. all around crunches are a next-to-useless exercise when it comes to abs. as posted above you're better off doing squats, and deadlifts.
    I don't know about you, but it works for me. Before I had my 6pk I weighted the same. When I started to do crunches thats when they started to show. Alls I do, is eat lean, cardio, and crunches and thats all it took to get my 6pk. When the guy who told me not to do crunches for 2 weeks, I was worried that I would lose my 6pk. Thats why I came here to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by FraNcHiZeKoK View Post
    Its a trible tat that goes from shoulder to shoulder, and up my neck. I like it.
    WTF?

I hope you mean "Tribal".

Wannabebig Member
    just maintain ur diet and you'll be fine

Wannabebig Member
    Kinda figured that, but wasn't sure.

Oh cool

What tribe are you from?

Currently Obsessed with Sq
    I just got a pretty big tattoo on my back that goes from shoulder to shoulder. Anyways, the guy who did my ink told me not to really do much exercise as far as my back goes. He told me no crunches for at-least 2 weeks. So I was wondering as long as I follow a strict diet, will I be able to maintain my 6pack? Will I lose any tone fron not being able to do crunches?

woah woah woah...let me get this straight...your taking advice from a tattoo guy??

edit: oh ok i misread this and thought he told you to do crunches...don't abdominal pulldowns, deadlifts and squats are probably three of the best ab exercises there are.
    Last edited by AJ_H; 10-17-2008 at 03:59 PM.
    Stats: Bodyweight : Current= 150 lbs, Height = 5ft11.5

Bench Press:160 lbs/Squat:225 lbs,/Deadlift:305/Total:675lbs/

Not strong yet, but getting there.

Journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=116786

I don't know about you, but it works for me. Before I had my 6pk I weighted the same. When I started to do crunches thats when they started to show. Alls I do, is eat lean, cardio, and crunches and thats all it took to get my 6pk. When the guy who told me not to do crunches for 2 weeks, I was worried that I would lose my 6pk. Thats why I came here to ask.
    if you do the compound lifts, eat lean, and do a lot of cardio, you will get a 6 pack. I am sure the crunches didn't have as much to do with it