The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Can the 5x5 be done for months and get me bigger ??

Hello first time poster here Trying to get me bulked up and not be skinny any more, and I seem to be stalled on doing so.

I am 34yrs old, and got seriously back into weight lifting this Spring. I am 5'10 was 165lbs in spring now closer to 180lbs.

This is the routine I have been following all Summer;

DAY 1 � PULL

Deadlifts or Power Cleans
    Barbell Rows, Dumbbell Rows, or Wide Grip Chins
    Barbell Curls, Close Grip Underhand Chins, or Hammer Curls

DAY 2 � PUSH

Incline or Flat Barbell or Dumbbell Bench Press
    Barbell or Dumbbell Shoulder Presses
    Tricep Dips or Close Grip Bench Press

DAY 3 � LEGS

Front or Back Squats
    Barbell or Dumbbell Stiff Leg Deadlifts
    Calf Raises (3x12) - only if a seriously lagging bodypart
    Weighted Crunches or Weighted Hanging Leg Raises (3x12)

I have been doing this whole routine in a 5x5 format for every exercise the last 3-4months, and I did get a little bigger, but not the t-shirt busting arms I thought, and my chest and shoulders did get little bigger but not night and day different.

Should I now be doing a different routine to really get some gunz on my arms, maybe a little higher reps not 5 but move to like 7-8 ??

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Because your body isn't very used to weight training still, I believe any good program will benefit you. Stick to basic compound exercises. Row, Bench, Squat, Deadlift, etc. Make sure you put more emphasis into your diet. You want some size? Eat to gain. Eat and train consistently and you will gain size.
    Last edited by WORLD; 09-23-2007 at 10:58 AM.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    All you need to do is stick with it for a few years and make sure your diet is very good. As long as your lifts are going up and you are eating good food I can't see no reason why you can't put on size.

I don't think anyone will have "t shirt busting arms" after 6 or so months.
    Last edited by leetuck; 09-23-2007 at 11:41 AM.
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

You need to eat more. Period.

200lbs @ 10%
    340/400/450

Dude... wow... i'm drunk. Flabbagasted at your choice of decision. Should i call you in 30 min when we are en route, come, oaks are for fun.

So lets say I do eat more which I have been doing all Summer and gained 10-12lbs, but still not getting muscles that much bigger. It seems to me the 5x5 maybe is not the correct routine to get bulked up muscles busting out of my shirt ??

I mean right now I am 5'10 175lbs, look at some pro athletes that weigh the same, in the NFL allot of wide receivers that weigh less than 185lbs and are 6' tall and have huge/ripped arms, or my favorite Brandon Lee from the movie The Crow he looked ripped but also bulked and built, and I know he weighed maybe 170lbs.

My point and question is do I have to keep eating to 200lbs before I get the arms I want ?? That doesn't sound right to me, like I said allot of men weigh less than 200lbs and have perfect huge bulging arms, chest, and shoulders. What are they doing that I am not ??

One site I did read about Lee training for the Crow should him doing heavy sets of 4x10, is that better for me ??

Thanks for the advice and help to get me going the right direction
    Last edited by Zorachus; 09-23-2007 at 04:48 PM.

You think your eating enough, your not. A 5x5 program done properly is geared towards strength gains. You can still achieve your goals from it. And why are you so concerned with having massive arms? Focus on growing your whole body and your arms will grow along with the rest.
    Most people think they are eating enough, when they're not. If you were, you would still be gaining weight. Like I said before, if your training properly and eating enough calories consistently (every single day), then you will keep growing.
    By the way, what is your body fat %? Maybe these guys you see look better because they have a lower body fat, which shows definition.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

There could be lots of reasons for not getting what you want from the 5x5, many outlined above. Did you perhaps set your maxes too low? Did you give 100% effort and concentration with every rep? Did you keep your diet as clean as possible? Did you get decent rest and sleep - plenty of water? It seems that you set yourself a real challenge in hoping to get big results in such little time and it seems to me that to accomplish that kind of task you have to have everything down to a T. Can you honestly say that it was?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    So lets say I do eat more which I have been doing all Summer and gained 10-12lbs, but still not getting muscles that much bigger. It seems to me the 5x5 maybe is not the correct routine to get bulked up muscles busting out of my shirt ??

I mean right now I am 5'10 175lbs, look at some pro athletes that weigh the same, in the NFL allot of wide receivers that weigh less than 185lbs and are 6' tall and have huge/ripped arms, or my favorite Brandon Lee from the movie The Crow he looked ripped but also bulked and built, and I know he weighed maybe 170lbs.

My point and question is do I have to keep eating to 200lbs before I get the arms I want ?? That doesn't sound right to me, like I said allot of men weigh less than 200lbs and have perfect huge bulging arms, chest, and shoulders. What are they doing that I am not ??
    For most people that aren't movie stars or professional athletes and don't have the money to hire people to get them into shape or to buy "supplements" it takes time.
    A few months or even a year is usually not enough time to get arms, chest and shoulders. I'd take the curls and shoulder presses out of your routine and stick with deadlifts. And yes eat more. If you are not gaining that is the reason. Try shakes as a easy way of getting in more calories if more solid meals are not a option.

What about changing my PULL day to look like this instead;

DAY 1 � PULL

- Deadlifts 5x5
    - Barbell Rows, 6x5
    - Dumbbell Rows, 6x5
    - Hammer Curls 3x8
    - Chin Ups 3x8

And keep a log every week of what I do and add like 2.5-5lbs once a week to the bar ??

Quote Originally Posted by Zorachus View Post
    What about changing my PULL day to look like this instead;

DAY 1 � PULL

- Deadlifts 5x5
    - Barbell Rows, 6x5
    - Dumbbell Rows, 6x5
    - Hammer Curls 3x8
    - Chin Ups 3x8

And keep a log every week of what I do and add like 2.5-5lbs once a week to the bar ??
    If you do that routine, move the hammer curls to the last thing you do. Isolations should always be last (unless you use them to pre fatigue a muscle)

Quote Originally Posted by Coqui View Post
    If you do that routine, move the hammer curls to the last thing you do. Isolations should always be last (unless you use them to pre fatigue a muscle)

Thanks so my PUSH and PULL will look like this, what is everyone's opinion on the exercises plus sets/reps ?? So every week I have been adding just a little bit of weight like 2.5-5lbs on to the bar and keeping a log of each week's

DAY 2 � PUSH

- Barbell Flat Bench Press 5x5
    - Military Barbell Press 5x5
    - Dumbbell Incline Press 4x8
    - Weighted Dips 3x8

It takes my approx 45-60 minutes to each day

DAY 1 � PULL

- Deadlifts 5x5
    - Barbell Rows, 6x5
    - Dumbbell Rows, 6x5
    - Chin Ups 3x8
    - Hammer Curls 3x8

Pro athletes have been training for years. I have been training for about 3 years now and have made decent gains but I'm still probably 2 years out from the body I want if I keep it up. Getting big/ripped doesn't happen over night.
    Nick V

Quote Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
    Pro athletes have been training for years. I have been training for about 3 years now and have made decent gains but I'm still probably 2 years out from the body I want if I keep it up. Getting big/ripped doesn't happen over night.
    Thank's for the advice, I have only been training hard weight lifting for apporx 6months, and only the 5x5 since June. Should I keep up with the 5x5 on all Compound lifts, and then more like 4x10 or so on Isolated lift's ??

But sometimes on my 5x5 even at the last ball busting 5th set I that I can barely lift up, at the end of each 5sets of exercises I don't feel the pump or hard burn right away like I do when doing higher rep sets, does that mean it is not working for me ??

Banned
    Latic acid build up is not indicative of a good working set or not. Stick to the basics. Personally, if I was you, I'd squat, deadlift, row, and bench...and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick View Post
    Latic acid build up is not indicative of a good working set or not. Stick to the basics. Personally, if I was you, I'd squat, deadlift, row, and bench...and that's it.

I agree to a point, what about reps/sets ?? Stick to 5x5 for these compounds or higher reps ??

Banned
    I'd stick to 5 x 5 for these compounds. Go for strength. I've had success with 5 x 5 and it although I didn't feel a burn, I sure as hell got my ass kicked.

Quote Originally Posted by jkirkpatrick View Post
    I'd stick to 5 x 5 for these compounds. Go for strength. I've had success with 5 x 5 and it although I didn't feel a burn, I sure as hell got my ass kicked.

Thanks so for all the Compound lift's do the 5x5, so out of my other exercise which ones should be done in a different rep/set range ??

DAY 2 � PUSH

- Barbell Flat Bench Press 5x5
    - Military Barbell Press 5x5
    - Dumbbell Incline Press
    - Weighted Dips

It takes my approx 45-60 minutes to each day

DAY 1 � PULL

- Deadlifts 5x5
    - Barbell Rows, 5x5
    - Dumbbell Rows,
    - Chin Ups
    - Hammer Curls

What about abs - maybe some weighted crunches in there once a week-

I made my best size gains witha 4x8 on everything but DLs. When you curl make sure you are contracting your bis throught the entire movement and the negative should be very slow. Keep it simple and gains will follow, the equation is easy-
    Bench+Row+OH Press+ Pullups+DLs+Squats=Necessary Lifts
    Good Training+ Lots of Food/water+ Lots of rest+consistency= Gains.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-25-2007 at 10:04 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I made my best size gains witha 4x8 on everything but DLs. When you curl make sure you are contracting your bis throught the entire movement and the negative should be very slow. Keep it simple and gains will follow, the equation is easy-
    Bench+Row+OH Press+ Pullups+DLs+Squats=Necessary Lifts
    Good Training+ Lots of Food/water+ Lots of rest+consistency= Gains.

So for all my lifts should I change to a 4x8 routine instead of the 5x5, or do the main lifts like DeadLift, BenchPress, MilitaryPress in 5x5 and all other 4x8 ??

Main thing I am looking for is to gain in muscle size and getter bigger, and not be the skinny guy I have always been, right now after doing the 5x5 all Summer I am 10-12lbs heavier and showing a little more muscle

There is no real anwser, there is no end-all rep scheme. Try that one out for now and change it up in 6 weeks, or every week. Just keep deads under 5 reps
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 09-25-2007 at 05:00 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I don't think he understands the point about his diet.

Ask more questions about your diet rather than your program. Your program is a very good one.

Tell me, do you know what your maintenance calories are? No matter how much you change your program, you won't gain like you want to unless you eat more.

Banned
    I'd just do Bill Starr's 5 x 5 routine and call it a day. No need to overthink things.

Banned
    I would agree with everyone here in terms of do compound movements. I have not added rows yet, but I plan to in my rountine. Diet can be hard to be consistent with. It takes a bit of trial and error from what I'm finding out