Thread: Powerlifting Westside Style???

Powerlifting Westside Style???

I am thinkin of starting this to help boost my lifts on all fronts. But I have some questions. After reading the article, it just does not seems like a lot. The sample first week they gave seems a little bit weak. I was wondering if I should add those excercises in addition to all other days. So after I complete my my west side training on tuesday, I would go then to do my regular shoulder workout right after. If this does not sound like a good idea, can someone give me some advice for a sample week in west side training that would be challenging?
    Not for self, but for others

Bench Press: 270 Squat: 250 Dead Lift: 365

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm

The point is to get stronger, not blast yourself into oblivion. If you are exhausted when you leave the gym (depending on the training session), you probably did too much.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

I'll tell you that if you don't know or don't read enough on Westside you will not make gains and you will be sick all the time. I tried going full blast into this routine and I was hanged at the cross. I'm constantly tired and lethargic. My libido is tremendously low, and I'm almost always depressed. This routine is great if you're a. not in a caloric deficit b. you are well conditioned and have done high volume training c. you're sleeping incredibly well. Westside will allow you to have gains. I was on a super low carb diet and I was able to add over 50 lbs on my total since I started Westside.
    5'11.75
    249lbs cutting to 220lbs
    Bench: 250
    Deadlift: 435
    Squat: 350
    OHP: 190

Cut back on the supplementals and bag an ME workout or two if you are getting run down. The worst thing you could do is just continue to follow the template w. no end in sight, no waving, and just continue to exhaust yourself further and further.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    http://elitefts.com/documents/9week-...ng-program.htm

The point is to get stronger, not blast yourself into oblivion. If you are exhausted when you leave the gym (depending on the training session), you probably did too much.
    I keep increasing the weight as I go up on the excercies right?

example: good mornings in week 1... 3x95 3x100 3x105 3x110 (say i cant do3 sets anymore) 1x115 1x120 and so on

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

I'm not really understanding your question.... it sounds like you just don't get the point of Westside...

On a "max-effort day", when you are working up to a one-rep-maximum (or a double or 3-rep-max), you are doing just that - NOT busting ass on each set leading up to it.

On "dynamic effort day", your focus with the main exercise for the session is on speed.

Supplementals are where you can play a lot w. training session volume and intensity levels - they should be hard and you should be trying to increase weight where you can, but just remember they are supplementals and if they are just preventing you from recovering for your next session, then you need to adjust them accordingly.

Reverse Hypers? I know the movement, but my gym is limited...what can I do them on?

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''

You don't need to do exactly what it says. I don't have a rev hyper either.
    To hit my hammies I usually just stick to good mornings and hyperextensions.
    They also get hit plenty during sumo deads and wide stance box squats.

I am going incorperate excercises from this program into my regular workout. Thanks for the help guys.

The Journal

2/25/08 163
    5'11''