Thread: Strained Trapezius in football?.....

Strained Trapezius in football?.....

Well during football I hurt my upper back, it was probably the worst pain I have ever felt.

It was a problem I was dealing with for about a week or two with a little pain just playing through it because it wasn't a big deal, but then one day at practice I hurt it really bad, I'm not sure how I hurt it but it hurt whenever I hit anyone, either with my helmet or pushing them with my hands. Now the pain was so terrible I new I had something wrong and had to go to the doctor.

So it was about 7:00 p.m. then so I had to go to the immediate care as opposed to my doctor. So I waited 2 hours and then they said it was a strained trapezius muscle and gave me pain and anti-inflammatory medicine.

The pain that night and the next day was so bad I almost had to leave school, it hurt bad just sitting there making no movements, if i made the slightest movement there was a cringing pain. They said to be out of football and gym for the next 3 days.

Well I was out of football and gym for a week and it was slowly getting better. So today I dressed for gym and we played eclipse ball (like tennis but with a ball filled with air thats bigger) so when the ball got hit to my left side (the bad side) I hit it with both hands and it started hurting again. Now it hurts as I'm typing this and hurts again when I move. Its not as bad as originally before.

So I'm worried now that it is something more than a trapezius strain. It doesn't feel like a muscle pull. I have an appointment tomorrow with my real doctor, so I want to be prepared for what to ask him and things, hopefully he does an mri or something. It just seems like if its a muscle pull I should be able to swing a tennis racket after a week without activity.

Oh and it hurts when I breathe in deeply, if that helps.

I just want to heal as fast as possible because there are only 4 games left in the football season and its my senior year.

So what do you guys think?

I'll add a picture showing where it hurts, the red being the worst and orange being where it hurts a little or when i move a certain way.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rbar89; 09-25-2007 at 06:53 PM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."

Just rest it and ice it. Once the pain dies down a bit, start doing some light stretching. After the first 48 hours or so you can try doing alternate cycles of heat and ice which might help with the pain. Ice it about 15 to 20 minutes on, then 30 minutes off. Repeat that all day long... Wear a harnessed ice pack while you're at school, etc. Try to avoid using that side of your body, as moving your shoulder will strain that trap.

I injured the same muscle doing OH presses a couple of months ago. After two weeks I was OH pressing again and haven't had trouble from it since. Just take it easy and you won't miss the last couple of games hopefully.

Remember, there is no way to heal a muscle by working it. You can stretch it a bit but otherwise just rest, rest, rest.

Of course, make sure your diet is good. Lots of protein, dietary fats, carbs, etc. Don't under eat because your body needs the nutrients to repair that muscle. Almost goes without saying.

Good luck man. Injuries suck!

Oh, and just so you know, everything you are describing with the excruciating initial pain for first day or so, followed by a pain that would come on with use is exactly what I experienced. I also had insane stiffness to the point where I could not turn my head or move my shoulder without immediate, shooting pain all through my back, shoulder, neck and head.

I had no idea that a pulled muscle could hurt that bad. Those suckers hurt something nasty... I will never forget waking up the first morning after it happened and trying to sit up in bed. Bad idea.

Thanks for the reply man, forgot about keeping my nutrition up will helping it heal.

Well for an update my doctor thought I may have a slight tear in the muscle but where it is at he said they can't really do anything for it. So its the same treatment as a strain and he didn't bother taking an MRI to see.

Its actually not the trapezius but a few smaller muscles in my back. At this point I'm going for physical therapy twice a week, so far that has been pointless and it really hasn't gotten too much better.

It was hard missing the game this last friday because we played one of our rivals and beat them, they were 5-0 coming into the game and ranked 3rd in the state, I was happy and upset at the same time. It also sucks because I can't lift so I'm losing strength for football.
    Last edited by rbar89; 10-01-2007 at 12:04 AM.
    Current Maxes: (May 2009)
    Bench: 275 | Squat: 355 | Clean: 240 | Deadlift: 455 | Body Weight-205lbs
    "When you know Squat about lifting, you know the important part."