Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: will arms lag in beginning with no direct work?

will arms lag in beginning with no direct work?

I was thinking, would your arms lag in the beginning if you do not do direct arm work?

Reason I say this is that the other movements in your compound exercises will be the weakest link in the beginning. For example, if your doing benchpress your shoulders would be the weakest link in that movement and until your shoulders get stronger you will not be working your tricept mucles and chest muscles enough to get any serious gains.

Think any other exercises, like pullups, maybe your bicep will not be worked effectively until your lat muscles get to a certain point and your bicep starts to become the weakest link.

It makes sense because there must be different stresses on the different mucles in the beginning of working out until everything gets evened out.

I've noticed this because I stopped doing Barbell Curls for 3 months, while I was doing pulldowns my strength incresed hugely in that exercise. But when I went to do barbell curls again I could barely do the same weight I did 3 months ago.

I stopped doing barbell curls a while back and just because I had some extra time yesterday, I did them again. I went up 20 pounds. What's your back routine look like?

Wannabebig Member
    theres no reason not to do curls.

A lot of it is going to depend on your individual proportions, what lifts you do, and what base you are starting from.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Only happy when bulking radioheadhead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prizeoasis View Post
    I agree. As long as you don't overtrain your arms, curl if you want to. Just don't let your compunds suffer.
    Height: 6' weight:197
    BF%: ~12%?

bench: 280 x 1
    squat: 370 x 1
    dead: 360 x 1

goal: 225 @ < 10% bodyfat

Quote Originally Posted by prizeoasis View Post
    That is a way too general statement. While I agree they are not necessary, saying something like that is incorrect. There is nothing wrong with doing curls, as long as they do not interfere with more important compound lifts.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-02-2007 at 10:16 AM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I say as long as your doing mostly compund lifts, you dont need to do curls. i wouldnt spend much time on curls,but there isnt anything wrong with doing them.
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    Creatine is Overrated Social Group
    supplements are used to supplement!!
    "why do i train so hard? so i can play harder!"
    -kobe bryant

Yes curls often interfere with progress in exercises like..............
    That's a picture of Scarlett Johansson.

I do 1 set of curls on my leg back day. doesn't seem to hinder progres...
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

“Persistence Persistence.” - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Vapour Trails View Post
    Yes curls often interfere with progress in exercises like..............
    like..............what?
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    -kobe bryant

like......sarcasm
    Sarvamangalam!

Curls can a fun thing to do every now and again but pullups are the only exercise that I consistently do for bis and I've gotten a ton stronger on actual curls as a result.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    That is a way too general statement. While I agree they are not necessary, saying something like that is incorrect. There is nothing wrong with doing curls, as long as they do not interfere with more important compound lifts.
    i repeat, there is no reason not to do curls.

But my original question is, why would I increase hugely in lat pulldows, say from like 130 pounds to 180 pounds.. but in that 3 month time period not be able to do more barbell curls?

I'm thinking it has to do with weakest link and not working my bi's.

Your arms will not lag if you don't do direct work, IF you're doing major compound movements. Your biceps will get worked with chin ups and rows. Your triceps will get worked with chest presses and military presses, and your forearms will be worked in EVERY exercise where you have to hold a heavy weight. I only give direct work to my biceps and triceps once a week and my arms are blowing up HUGE!

Actually, to add to my post, I remember my arms getting more benefit than the chest or back from compound movements. They were forced to adapt, strengthen coordinating and synergistic muscles and get in shape so that my chest and back could continue to be properly hit.

I think the major theme you'll see on these boards is that we want to avoid the curl monkey routine where you spend an entire day in the gym doing nothing but bicep and tricep curls over and over and over - because it's just over-training. You'll get better results in quicker time just doing compound moves and maybe ONE day a week doing 2 focused exercises for bis and tris.
    Last edited by Lumiel; 10-02-2007 at 04:33 PM.
    Lumiel's BGB Weightlifting Journal

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

rebuilding the foundations Herandi's Avatar
    ^^ well said
    "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

TRAIN BIG.........GET BIG
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie500 View Post
    But my original question is, why would I increase hugely in lat pulldows, say from like 130 pounds to 180 pounds.. but in that 3 month time period not be able to do more barbell curls?

I'm thinking it has to do with weakest link and not working my bi's.
    It depends on how your doing your lat pulldowns to. If your using a thumbless grip your not going to get any assistance from your biceps. If you wrap your thumbs you will.

Biceps should not be a concern they are a relatively small muscle group. If you want big arms work your tries. They only bicep work I do is hammer curls cuz i can do a lot of weight. Other than that I just blast them with high reps with whatever exercise.
    Representing Mike and Humps gym Beaver Springs ,PA. Home of Mike Wolfley, bench press record holder at 198lbs and first person ever to bench 700 weighing under 200.

My Stats: Height-5'10''
    Weight-195lbs
    Bench-315
    Squat-285
    deadlift-315

GO BIG OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Get Strong View Post
    It depends on how your doing your lat pulldowns to. If your using a thumbless grip your not going to get any assistance from your biceps. If you wrap your thumbs you will.
    WHAT? That makes no sense at all. How will your thumb - which is not connected to your bicep in any way, determine whether your bicep will be assisting in a lat pull down?

If your hand is moving in any way closer to your shoulder, then your bicep is being engaged, period. That's what that muscle does. The only way to prevent the bicep from being engaged is to freeze the movement of the elbow and as we all know, you can't do a lat pull down with frozen elbow movement.

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Lumiel View Post
    WHAT? That makes no sense at all. How will your thumb - which is not connected to your bicep in any way, determine whether your bicep will be assisting in a lat pull down?

If your hand is moving in any way closer to your shoulder, then your bicep is being engaged, period. That's what that muscle does. The only way to prevent the bicep from being engaged is to freeze the movement of the elbow and as we all know, you can't do a lat pull down with frozen elbow movement.
    Try it. Try doing a lat pull thumbless then doing it with your thumb and see if you can pull more weight. I know I can.
    Representing Mike and Humps gym Beaver Springs ,PA. Home of Mike Wolfley, bench press record holder at 198lbs and first person ever to bench 700 weighing under 200.

Weight-195lbs
    Bench-315
    Squat-285
    deadlift-315

Okay maybe I said it wrong, its not that your bicep will be totally cut off in the movement but it will limit its effectiveness.

Weight-195lbs
    Bench-315
    Squat-285
    deadlift-315

Quote Originally Posted by Get Strong View Post
    Okay maybe I said it wrong, its not that your bicep will be totally cut off in the movement but it will limit its effectiveness.
    It doesn't limit it's effectiveness. The width of your grip is what determines the extent to which your bicep is engaged in the exercise. Close grip will engage the bicep more than a wide grip, but even then it is still engaged. If you can pull more weight without your thumbs, then the weakness lies in your grip and your forearm, and has nothing to do with your bicep.

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

^to bend your elbow you have to use your bicep
    6'6" 235
    Follow me on Twitter!
    My Artist page
    -kobe bryant

^ 'das my point. ;-)

32 y/o, 6' tall, 205 lbs

Wannabebig Member
    worst. argument. evar

It doesn't limit it's effectiveness. The width of your grip is what determines the extent to which your bicep is engaged in the exercise. Close grip will engage the bicep more than a wide grip, but even then it is still engaged. If you can pull more weight without your thumbs, then the weakness lies in your grip and your forearm, and has nothing to do with your bicep.
    Width of grip and hand positioning.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.