Thread: Lifting straps

Hybrid View

Lifting straps

I know it is generally considered not a good idea to use straps, however, what if you don't really plan to rely on them and am doing other supplemental grip work?

See, I just recently joined a new gym and for the most part it's better than my last, but the knurling on the bar is not deep at all and my grip on deadlifts suffers because of it. I've done 435 before, but with these bars I failed on my third rep with 355. So I figured I'd start training grip and for the time being use lifting straps for my heavy deadlifts (won't use them for lighter ones, only my last set). How does that sound? Because I know I can deadlift much more. With a bar with deep knurling 355 would be pretty easy for 5 reps, but not now.

Also, here's what I'm doing for grip... (three times a week)

3x15 seconds Two Hands Pinch Lift for holds
    3x15 Finger curls with an Olympic Bar
    3x15 Two Hand Wrist Curl
    3x15 Two Hands Reverse Wrist Curl.

Also, while I'm at it I figured I'd pick up a belt (again, only used for max effort lifts) so how does this one look?
    http://www.inzernet.com/detail_econo...CON_POWER_BELT

I also plan to compete later down the road so would that belt be legal in powerlifting competitions? While I'm at it I guess I'll pick up some chalk. I currently have "liquid chalk" because my last gym didn't allow chalk.
    Last edited by KoolDrew; 09-27-2007 at 07:19 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by KoolDrew View Post
    I know it is generally considered not a good idea to use straps, however, what if you don't really plan to rely on them and am doing other supplemental grip work?

See, I just recently joined a new gym and for the most part it's better than my last, but the knurling on the bar is not deep at all and my grip on deadlifts suffers because of it. I've done 435 before, but with these bars I failed on my third rep with 355. So I figured I'd start training grip and for the time being use lifting straps for my heavy deadlifts (won't use them for lighter ones, only my last set). How does that sound? .

It sounds fine. That's exactly what I do...use straps for my last and heaviest set.

Banned
    Sounds like a good plan as long as you don't use them too often. It can be easy to just put the straps on because they are convenient.
    In terms of grip strength, I'm not sure how much wrist curls will help. I would suggest doing static holds, farmer's walks and rack pulls. Basically movements that mimic the deadlift in some way.
    That belt looks good. Check with your federation, but I believe all Inzer products are allowed in comp.

I know the wrist curls won't help my deadlift exactly, but my grip pretty much sucks all around, including wrist strength/flexibility.

If you're planning on powerlifting, than you shouldn't even think about using straps. If your grip is slipping than use chalk and work your way back up to what you could pull before. You're only as strong as your weakest link, so build up that link. Straps are the easy way out.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    If you're planning on powerlifting, than you shouldn't even think about using straps. If your grip is slipping than use chalk and work your way back up to what you could pull before. You're only as strong as your weakest link, so build up that link. Straps are the easy way out.
    bad advice. so make his deadlift stall because he cant hold the bar yet?

use straps if you have to but make sure to work your grip aside from that if you are competing in a no-strap comp.

Quote Originally Posted by prizeoasis View Post
    bad advice. so make his deadlift stall because he cant hold the bar yet?

use straps if you have to but make sure to work your grip aside from that if you are competing in a no-strap comp.
    You're right, I'm totally wrong. Strap away Drew, and best of luck to ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    "Any man under 200lbs is a woman." -Matt Rhodes

Yeah, I know.....Its huge Ockhams_Razor's Avatar
    using straps are fine, as long as you don't go overboard with them. as it was said, its to easy to decide to start using them more and more. i have been using straps for a long time, but i make sure i only use them on my last sets that are the heaviest, where my grip just won't hold at all.
    "Only advantage of having a larger ROM in the gym is to punch newbies who try to steal your equipment." -mikey4402

I don't think the knurling has anything to do with it. If your strength in your forearms is good enough to keep your fingers curled around the bar, what's it matter what the knurling is like. It's all in your head, imo.

You'll be surprised what a good amount of chalk can do to ur grip. Once u get the chalk, I highly doubt you'll even need the straps. Are u using double overhand? mixed? hook?

Andrew

Edit: For the belt, should be legal, although I'm not exactly sure on all feds, but IMO it's better to get a single prong rather than double as when ur fighting to get it on/off one prong will always make it much easier.
    Last edited by Bohizzle; 09-28-2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Watchya talkn bout willis
    ^ I agree, I use a double overhand grip but my grip would give out on the last couple of reps and I would used mixed. But after I got chalk I don't even need to worry about grip at the least for double overhand.
    Last edited by North; 09-28-2007 at 03:42 PM.
    Weight:207
    375/300/365 Goal by summer:415/315/415

Here are a couple of more grip exercises that have been used to success for myself and the guys on the pl team:

Farmers hold
    Farmers walk
    Plate Pinches
    Shrugs
    Captains of crush trainer, no.1, no.2
    Vertical sleeve deadlifts

These work really really well... I can explain these if you aren't sure on a few of them.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    Here are a couple of more grip exercises that have been used to success for myself and the guys on the pl team:

Farmers hold
    Farmers walk
    Plate Pinches
    Shrugs
    Captains of crush trainer, no.1, no.2
    Vertical sleeve deadlifts

These work really really well... I can explain these if you aren't sure on a few of them.
    Could you explain what a vertical sleeve deadlift is?

I use them for DB shrugs and maybe back work if my grip is shot.
    [Journal | My Diet]
    [Bench 170x5 | Squat 255x5 | Deadlift 300x5]
    "It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried."