The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Extremely stupid question coming up, I'm aware of it.

I know this is stupid, but for me this is hard to tell. How can you tell if there's muscle in your pec area or fat...moobs basically. I've always been skinny and then started eating big and lifting and my chest has gotten bigger...problem is I don't know if I got moobs from a sloppy bulk or got muscle there from lifting. Certain angles and lighting, my chest looks like that of a bodybuilding and ripped. Then other times it'll look a little flabby. I think it looks like a chest from weightlifting, but I don't know for sure.

How can you tell?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Also, to get an accurate reading of BF %, you have to do that at the doctor right? Those calipers you can buy are junk I heard.
    Last edited by Blade55; 09-27-2007 at 08:46 PM.

Flex hard... then try grab your chest. If it's all squishy on top it's flab. If it's suddenly a rock solid mass of awesomeness it's muscle.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Quote Originally Posted by tomv View Post
    Flex hard... then try grab your chest. If it's all squishy on top it's flab. If it's suddenly a rock solid mass of awesomeness it's muscle.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Wannabebig Member pwrliftersgirl's Avatar
    EXACTLY! lol

So if I work on making everything else bigger it'll even out? I figured I should make my shoulders bigger, they're kinda small.

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    x2
    I am SO glad I'm female.
    Seriously - I had NO IDEA it was this complicated.
    I just tell my husband he makes love like a God, feed him a steak, and I'm done for the day. Super easy.

God bless men. - Built

Holy ****, it's muscle, haha. Thank God. Why on earth is my chest so big and kinda looks like moobs through a shirt? It looks out of whack for a tall 170 pounder myself. Maybe I should cut back on working on my chest and work on my shoulders more or something? Any advice?
    Last edited by Blade55; 09-28-2007 at 05:24 AM.

Pecs with nothing else will look like a sweet bosom. Work on the bringing up your shoulders and back (and everything else).
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Pecs with nothing else will look like a sweet bosom. Work on the bringing up your shoulders and back (and everything else).
    Fix up your posture for sure. You will automatically seem bigger I find with a few minor adjustments (e.g. what Sensei said retracting the shoulders and standing with a "proud" chest).

P.s. Don't overdo the posture though, you can cause yourself harm.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Pecs with nothing else will look like a sweet bosom.
    AHAHAA!!

"The only easy day was yesterday."

Quote Originally Posted by Blade55 View Post
    Holy ****, it's muscle, haha. Thank God. Why on earth is my chest so big and kinda looks like moobs through a shirt? It looks out of whack for a tall 170 pounder myself. Maybe I should cut back on working on my chest and work on my shoulders more or something? Any advice?
    Sure, bring up your shoulders and back, and everything else for that matter, but definitely don't neglect your chest now because of the appearance. Worry about weak points far down the road.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

He might have a high bf% which makes his chest appear that way. But everyone else's advice is great.
    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - John Calvin Coolidge

9 months-20lb gains! (2005 Newbie gains)-A bit of motivation for beginners

August 2008 Progress Pics