Thread: Squats- Lower Back Pain!

Squats- Lower Back Pain!

I always get persistent nagging pain in my lower back, after a heavy squat session My form is Good, and the pain DOES NOT radiate down the legs or anything... But there is enough pain afterwards to make me feel miserable . Not exruciating or anything , just dull and persistent. (no muscle soreness)

It's always excarbated by deadlifts or heavy squats etc... This is getting really annoying, and i ve hit a plateau in strength on squats because i have to lay off heavy squatting for my back to recover every time !

Could i possibly have herniated a disc? I had an X-ray taken (not MRI, though) and it showed no disc problem.
    If i had one, wouldn't I be in agonizing pain?

Another thing that seems to exacerbate the pain is bending forward esp. if i have my spine flexed

What should i do! plz help? what could that be? if it was sciatica i would have pain down my legs/glutes which is not the case here.
    Dont tell me to forget heavy lifting.

My hamstring flexibility is fine, my hip flexors are fine too... by back gets stiff though when it aches, probably because of the spasm it goes through..

every time i work on heavy squats, or anything that puts compressive forces on my spine aggravates the lower back pain! I didn't have this shizzle

a year ago! And the weird thing is, that i dont feel any pain DURING squatting, it's becoming apparent about 2-3 hours after the cessation of the activity.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Wannabebig Member pwrliftersgirl's Avatar
    Have you ever thought that you may have Spinal Stenosis or and extra disc & vertebrae in your back?

This is what I suffer from and I have the same symptoms as you.....when I do squats.

May want to get it checked out.

I'm sure you'll feel this is attacking you but it's not meant to be - but are you *positive* you're squatting/dl'ing properly?
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

(I only asked that because I know that many times when I knew I broke proper form to pull more weight, I got kinda similar pains.)
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Go see an Ortho. and get a MRI.

You may have Degenerative Disk Disease (DDD) like I do. Your symptoms are very similiar to how mine started. I hope for your sake that you don't cause it sucks more than you can imagine as it gets worse. My squatting days are and have been over for more than two years. I used to squat 620 raw at my pinnacle.. a mistake imo, but hey, hindsight is always 20/20.

All the craziness I did to my body in my teens and 20's caught up with a vengence in my 30's.

I don't lift heavy like I used to after my back forsaked me.

Just remember joints (including all the lumbar vertebrae) will start causing problems way before muscles and bones 99% of the time.

Apparently, poundage decreases on a serious cut!!