Thread: Calf Cramps

Calf Cramps

I play football (Soccer) 2-3 times a week and I've been on a pretty heavy bulk the past few months. I've gone from 224 to 244 in roughly 3 months and recently I think it's had an adverse affect on my calves when I play football, particularly so tonight.

After about 15 minutes both calves cramped up and I was in agony, I kept on playing and after about 45 mins of continuous cramp I started to get pins and needles in my feet. This has never happened to me before, my feet went numb and I had to stop.

I train my calves pretty well so they should be strong enough, is it just a case that the extra weight I've put on is putting too much strain on my calves and causing them to cramp up? What could the cause of the numbness be?

I would say I'm well hydrated so could rule that out, I drink at least 5 litres a day and I always warm up and stretch before games. Any ideas or do I just have to take it easy til I cut?

your electrolytes are low. I get this sometimes too if I am really working for a few hours hard in the sun and sweating a lot.

You need to find an electrolyte mix, sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium at least. Might as well throw some Vitamin C in there too. A small amount of sugar. That will fix your cramps up most likely.

Banned
    Matt, keep in mind you have 100 pounds on the above poster. He is very quick to give advice, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.

^ I wonder if you were trying to be ironic with the 'grain of salt' comment. I'll go ahead and give you the credit nice one man

no matter what your bodyweight you need a stable level of electrolytes or you will experience muscle cramps.
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 04-02-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by samadhi_smiles View Post
    ^ I wonder if you were trying to be ironic with the 'grain of salt' comment. I'll go ahead and give you the credit nice one man

no matter what your bodyweight you need a stable level of electrolytes or you will experience muscle cramps.
    Electrolytes can be one of many causes for cramps.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

How about stretching? I see that you are working your calves hard, but what about stretching & massaging them? Might want to incorperate some into your training.

Just throwing it out there.

Cheers.
    "to teach God's word, by his own example; that we must Love all things that God made" - The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

DL: 375 RAW No Belt, No Wraps, No nothing!
    SQ: 325 RAW " " "
    BP: 220 RAW " " "

Total: 920 hahaha Not quite a 1000lbs (This was done back in 2008 )

Mine cramped soo bad during a football game (real football, not soccer) that I couldnt walk. I was laying htere paralized lol. Massage helped relieve it, and I kept playing, but the next day I was ****ed haha
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Quote Originally Posted by Detard View Post
    Mine cramped soo bad during a football game (real football, not soccer) that I couldnt walk.
    Real football! Aye mine got so bad I couldn't walk, they can be pretty violent.

Quote Originally Posted by Pimpstick View Post
    Matt, keep in mind you have 100 pounds on the above poster. He is very quick to give advice, but I'd take it with a grain of salt.
    Very good. I think maybe a combination of the things mentioned might be best, I do stretch before games but maybe I should stretch more as I do have naturally tight calves. I'll sort out my 'electrolytes' too. I don't take a vitamin supplement or out but I eat a lot of fruit so thought I would be ok.

As for massage I have no idea about it and if I asked the coach he would most probably call me a gay. I'll look into it though as after games I generally feel pretty stiff so it may aid recovery.

I'm still a bit confused about my feet going numb though.

I might have suggested footwear (esp cleats and studs with little or no raised heel) could be causing this.

More than likely will be the increased weight though.

As for massage I have no idea about it and if I asked the coach he would most probably call me a gay. I'll look into it though as after games I generally feel pretty stiff so it may aid recovery.
    I dont think he meant ask the coach for the massage from him personally....that would be funny though.
    This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy - George Bernard Shaw

Warm up good and stretch thoroughly. More electrolytes certainly won't hurt you, but 15 minutes into the match doesn't seem like enough time for the cramps to be caused by dehydration.

Was the weather dramatically different than when you usually play - like noticeably hotter and more humid?

foam rolling is also a great long-term solution

and it feels freakin amazing

but don't listen to me because our bodyweights are not the same
    Last edited by samadhi_smiles; 04-03-2009 at 08:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade View Post
    Electrolytes can be one of many causes for cramps.
    of course there's only so much help the internet can provide especially given the lack of details in the OP.

I played yesterday and didn't get the cramps. I warmed up and stretched extensively and have been putting a banana in my morning smoothie to help with the potassium.

I think overall it must be down to my weight as I generally tire out a lot quicker recently than when my weight was around 220, which is understandable I suppose.

Flynn- could be onto something with the footwear, the game in question was on an all weather pitch that I wear sort of moulded mini studs for rather than metal when I play on grass, which might have thrown me off a little.

Any suggestions about the numbness?