Thread: Brent Folsom's Journal

Brent Folsom's Journal

I found this place from a friend and it seemed like he was getting a lot of support and good advice so I thought I would start a journal. I am currently deployed to Iraq so it is hard to get a calorie count since they don't give us any accurate nutrition info. Plus I work nights, so my schedule is a little messed up. I workout at 2 am 3 days a week (every other day) and I supplement with NO2, creatine, and protein powders.

I weigh about 185lbs right now. I am not very lean at the moment.

I am just finishing up a period of three heavy lifting weeks (The workout had me do six weeks of prep for these three weeks). This is my last week of this stage. I am getting my workouts from the Book of Muscle right now.

My workout starts with 5 sets of abdominal work done as a circuit for two circuits. Then I go straight into my heavy sets.

Saturday @ 2am:
    Bent-Over Rows: 2 Warm up sets, Then:
    8 reps @ 165
    6 reps @ 195
    4 reps @ 215
    12 reps @ 155

Incline Bench Press: 2 Warm up Sets, Then:
    8 reps @ 155
    6 reps @ 175
    4 reps @ 185
    12 reps @ 115

Seated DB Hammer Curl: 1 Warm up set, Then:
    8 reps @ 50
    8 reps @ 50
    12 reps @ 30

I am coming off a shoulder injury, but I went up 20lbs per set on the incline bench from the week before so I am feeling much better. The shoulder seems to be healing fine. This is my second workout of the week. I have one more and I go on to a new stage of my workout. I will update again on Monday when I do my last workout of the Stage. I feel like most of my strength comes from my back, but I am going to try and catch my chest up.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"
    Dead Lift: 430
    Squat: 355
    Bench: 255
    Bent-Over Row: 255

All Maxes done with Calculator.
    A SLAP Tear kills the Bench. But its healed and the bench should be on the rise.
    My lifting journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=102871

Today was my last workout for my 3 weeks of heavy lifting. It was upper and lower back, with some calves.

Started with 2 sets of 5 abdominal exercises done in a circuit for 2 circuits.

Pull-ups, 1 warm up sets on lat pull down, reverse gripó1 warm up set 8 pull-ups
    8 reps @ 10 lbs
    6 reps @ 25lbs
    4 reps @ 35lbs
    12 reps @ 100lbs, lat-pull down, reverse grip, slow tempo

Dead-lift, 2 warm up sets.
    8 reps @ 265
    6 reps @ 295
    4 reps @ 355
    12 reps @ 135lbs, Sumo Dead-lift

Bent knee calf raise
    2 sets @ 20 reps @ 65lb dumbbells -- First 10 reps explosive

Standing one-leg calf raise
    2 sets @ 20 reps -- First 10 reps explosive

Next week I switch to more exercises per muscle group for three weeks. Then I am thinking of going to 6 days a week for about a month in a half. Get some definition out and hopefully some big pumps with a few big workouts.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"

A SLAP Tear kills the Bench. But its healed and the bench should be on the rise.

Hey man. Glad you joined the site.

That sucks you had a shoulder injury. If you experience any sharp pains in any lift, dont do em. I for one can not do incline benchpresses at all. It feels like Im ripping my shoulders apart. So for chest, I usually just do really heavy dips or dumbell benches.

You said you might move to six days a week? Can you post the split youre thinkin of?

You can make some of the best gains in your life by focusing on heavy compounds 3 days a week or an upper/lower.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

Yeah I switched to 6 days a week for about four weeks. I wanted to get rid of some fat while still trying to gain some size. It's working pretty well. Especially for my arms and shoulders. The increased workload is trimming my mid section too.

My plan is
    Monday- Chest, Abs, and obliques
    Tuesday- Legs (quads) (Plyometrics every other week, alternate with Thursday plyometrics)
    Wends- Back, Abs, and obliques
    Thurs- Shoulders and Traps
    Fri- Legs, dead-lift (hamstrings, and calves), abs, and obliques (Plyometrics every other week, alternate with Tuesday plyometrics)
    Sat- Arms (have triceps exercises that include a lot pecs so I can get two a week since my chest is a week spot), obliques

I am seeing some good results, and it's really filling me out. I have this week to go and one more, then I am going to switch back to three days a week (going back to the Book of Muscle plan), with some light jogging and plyometrics on off days. I also want to continue weak point training on my chest twice a week. I have less than a month and I will be back in Texas, so I can get a tan and all of that. Have to keep doing plyometrics to get that speed back. I should be able to do even better in Texas since I will be able to control my diet, get a lot more rest, have days off, swim, and all of that good stuff that comes with being free.
    Last edited by Missionbrent; 10-28-2007 at 07:26 PM.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. My doctor says he sees more of my type of shoulder injury than any other. It's a slap tear. I am most affected when lifting over my head. It makes the movement very jerky and painfull. It's a sharp pain. I took it easy on it for a coupe weeks, then for about a month I did no overhead shoulder lifts. I kept them all under over my head. Now it feels great and I can go pretty heavy over my head. I think the doctor said I had a SLAP tear. It's where my biceps tendon gets a small tear in the shoulder joint. I have been doing plyometrics and sprints for my legs and I feel very fast. I can get to top speed very quickly. I am pleased with my progress thus far, and I know as soon as I switch back to 3 days a week with plyometrcs it should pick up even more. I can't wait to get back to Texas and get timed in the 40 dash. I want to get 4.5 speed. I was at about 4.6 at my best in high school, but I never squated or did plyometrics then. SO I am hoping this frees up some speed.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"

Those Deads (4x 355) are beastly O_O

Thanks bro,
    On my last deadlift workout I got 365lbs for 5 reps. My form has come a long way in the last couple months which is why I think my deadlift is increasing so much. I might try for reps at 385, or even 405 for my deadlift this week, depending on how I am feeling. Might have to break out the weight belt for those, lol.

I just got done working my quads today. 275lbs for 8 reps today was my best for squats (2 warm up sets, 2 sets @ 225lbs, and 2 sets @ 275lbs, 1 back off set @ 135lbs with exaggerated range). Don't have a spotter since I work out at 2am, so I don't want to push my luck by going to heavy. I did put up 450lbs 4 times on the "hammer strength" leg press (2 warm up sets @ 185lbs, 2 sets @ 270lbs, 1 set @ 360lbs, and 1 set @ 450lbs). My thighs and buttocks are feeling it. It was one of my best leg workouts in a while. I also did some lunges and some leg extensions on the "hammer strength" machine.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"

I finished the last week of my 6 days a week lifting program.

My big three lift bests for this last week were:

Dead-lift: 405lbs for three reps.

Squat: 315lbs for 5 reps.

Bench: 225 for 5 reps.

My bench has been increasing well and my shoulder feels about 95%, that last 5% will come when I get the rest of my strength back. My weight is at about 190lbs. I am going to start going back to 3 days a week with a chest workout on the first and last workout of the week to help my weak point. I am also going to throw in some low intensity jogging on the off days to cut some fat because I am leaving Iraq in a couple weeks, and I will be home in about 5 weeks, so I want to look good.

I will post my splits and totals when I start my new workout. My lifting partner left for the states already, so I will have to try and find somebody new to spot.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"

I finished the last week of my 6 days a week lifting program.

My big three lift bests for this last week were:

Dead-lift: 405lbs for three reps.

Squat: 315lbs for 5 reps.

Bench: 225 for 5 reps.

My bench has been increasing well and my shoulder feels about 95%, that last 5% will come when I get the rest of my strength back. My weight is at about 190lbs. I am going to start going back to 3 days a week with a chest workout on the first and last workout of the week to help my weak point. I am also going to throw in some low intensity jogging on the off days to cut some fat because I am leaving Iraq in a couple weeks, and I will be home in about 5 weeks, so I want to look good.

I will post my splits and totals when I start my new workout. My lifting partner left for the states already, so I will have to try and find somebody new to spot. We have already came up with a plan to workout together in Texas, so I should be able to keep the fast gains coming. He out weighs me by about 50lbs so I am gaining faster by workout with someone who is stronger than me. I want to keep the gains coming.
    Brent Folsom
    190lbs @ 5' 11"