Thread: Hamstring strain lower back pain

Hamstring strain lower back pain

Ok here I go. I have made a thread similar before about my hamstring but the lower back is new. I ONCE AGAIN hurt my hamstring playing football. I warm up and jog and do a lot of stretching prior to my running hard, but this is my 3rd time hurting my hamstring and it hasn't been the same one. I don't know what I need to do. I heard maybe my quads are over powering my hams, but I don't think that is the issue. Low potassium, maybe. I definately have been fully healed in between injuries. Any suggestions appreciated.
    Lower back is another story. I never really had any lower back issues until i started working out a lot, It kills if I stand for too long or if I sit for too long. Is this normal? I swear it started since dead lifting on the regular. My form is good because I work out with kids who watch me and they will stop me if my form gets off. Other people have this issue? Once again any input appreciated.
    6' 1" 225lbs 24 years old

Starting a serious cut.

How do you injure your hamstrings specifically? Do you have (or have you had) other injuries? Have you gained a lot of weight? Do you have tight hip flexors or hamstrings? Do you sit at a desk all day?

What have you done for rehab (to strengthen, improve mobility/stability)?

Without any kind of rehab, it's pretty common for an injury in a hamstring to lead to a lower back or glute issue or an injury on the other side.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Sensei, glad to see you respond. Always like to see your advice.
    I initially hurt my right hamstring playing softball this season running out of the box. I didn't let it heal properly and continued playing week after week thinking it was ok and rehurting it. Softball to football season was about a month and a half period and I hurt the same one again at the beginning of the season. We have games every Sunday. I didn't play the next 3 games and it healed. Played the next 3 games no problem, felt great. Today before the game I was running a pattern and I felt the left one about to go, so I stopped and started stretching it again and wrapped it up in an ace bandage. I played the game with it wrapped. My warm up consists of running 2 laps around the field then doing my stretches. I didn't hurt it bad and I wrapped it so I kept everything in place, but it seems like this keeps happening.
    I have gained about 20 lbs in the past 2 monthes. I have had a hip flexor issue in the past, but all good now. I do work in an office and only really stretch before games/practice and half assed before dead lifts and squats. Lower back only hurts when standing stil watching the next footbal game for an hour and a half or sitting without back support for the same period of time.

Hope this helps.

Starting a serious cut.

The reason I asked about weight (and I'm not surprised that you have gained a lot recently) is that it's really common to have lower back issues when you have a fast weight gain. I gained a lot of weight quickly and it took me at A LONG TIME to settle into the weight - until I did, it was hell on my lower back.

A desk job is not going to be kind to your posterior chain health - there are a ton of articles about "gluteal amnesia" out there these days at t-mag, etc. which usually is compounded by tight (but weak) hip flexors. Improving your hamstring strength and flexibility probably won't be enough if you have poor activation in the glutes, poor posture, and tight hip flexors.

I've had my share of posterior chain issues over the years - it was a balance issue for me more than anything - nip it in bud before it develops into a chronic issue for you.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Is there anything you suggest that I can do on top of stretching daily? What else can I do to stop this from being a chronic issue? Hamstring issues are the worst. I heard that when a hamstring is hurt, I shouldn't stretch it until it is healed. Is this true? Do I just relax, ice, compression, and elevate till it feels ok again?

Starting a serious cut.

I think I figured out a reason why this is happening. Isn't dehydration a big factor in straining muscles? Well my games are on Sunday morning and I usually throw back some beers on Saturday, so maybe I am really dehydrated and I keep hurting myself. What do you think?

Starting a serious cut.

I'd really suggest reading some articles on T-nation about hamstring/lower-back related injury. It can often be caused by a wide variety of things you hadn't considered (though as always, the most obvious answer could be the right one).
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.