The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar

Fruit: Essential or just for taste?

Where should fruit come in for a muscle building diet. Are any fruits pretty essential and really good for what your trying to do, or are fruits more for just taste/weight loss? If fruits are helpful in the muscle proccess, which ones?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i think there have been lots of past threads on fruit already, and you'll be able to get answers using the 'search' function

There are vitamins, phytochemicals, etc, etc in fruit that is beneifcial to bodybuilding, overall health, etc etc.

However, fruit itself is not required.

Further, the sugar in fruit (fructose) is not absolutely needed, required, and sometimes wanted.

There are many other factors involved here but that is the gist of it.

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    All fruit have precise benefits of their own, many of which are not very well studied and have yet to be discovered.

It would be very hard to determine the very exact processus by which these substances. One thing is sure, fruits are beneficial for overall health, but they are not essential. They taste damn good though.

That website, http://www.whfoods.com/foodstoc.php , explain some precise benefits of specific fruits. Things that come back often are antioxydants and anti-microbials substances.

Banned
    Fruit isn't bad for you, if that's what you're asking. There are other ways to obtain the same nutrients of fruit, but they aren't nearly as delicious or convenient. Anyone who says fruit is bad for you is terribly confused!

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing
    Fruit isn't bad for you, if that's what you're asking.
    The OP asked where fruit fits into a bodybuilding diet.

there a fairly decent mobile snack, no preparation needed

Smeagol on Steroids Mercuryblade's Avatar
    Not to mention, seriously, is there anything more enjoyable than a perfectly ripe banana? We had this bunch of bananas that went from raw to ripe way to fast. I didn't want them to get mushy. I ate three yesterday, and am going to eat one more to make it three today. Bananas are awesome for you as well.
    http://www.senseaboutscience.org.uk/

Starting Current
    Bench: 45 lbs Bench: 235 lbs
    Squat: 95 lbs Squat: 285 lbs
    Deadlift: 100 lbs Deadlift: 330 lbs

One Winged Angel MagnaSephiroth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mercuryblade
    Not to mention, seriously, is there anything more enjoyable than a perfectly ripe banana? We had this bunch of bananas that went from raw to ripe way to fast. I didn't want them to get mushy. I ate three yesterday, and am going to eat one more to make it three today. Bananas are awesome for you as well.
    Good bananas are heavenly, bad bananas make you wanna puke. Its a gamble when you want something good, but worth it if you score perfectly ripe ones

First off, totally agree with the bananna posts.

I think fruit is often misunderstood. I think fruit is a good snack, however, I also know that some people who do not know to much about dieting think fruit is a pangea. Like I try to tell my pops, he thinks that because he is eating fruit all day long, he is going to be in great shape , and bugs me saying im going to get sick because i would rather eat foods like steak, and chicken breast. I eat an occasional piece of fruit, but i see him eat fruit s a meal. Sometimes a whole bucket of grapes or 10 plums, half a watermelon. So i think the media, has messed people up here a bit, because all people here on tv is that fruits and vegetables are so good for you, but people dont realize that it should only be a small part of your diet. Definately not your meal.

I would say eat 3 pieces of fruit per day if you like, but its not necessary, and I wouldnt if you are cutting. The sugar will spike your insulin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferdo
    First off, totally agree with the bananna posts.

I think fruit is often misunderstood. I think fruit is a good snack, however, I also know that some people who do not know to much about dieting think fruit is a pangea. Like I try to tell my pops, he thinks that because he is eating fruit all day long, he is going to be in great shape , and bugs me saying im going to get sick because i would rather eat foods like steak, and chicken breast. I eat an occasional piece of fruit, but i see him eat fruit s a meal. Sometimes a whole bucket of grapes or 10 plums, half a watermelon. So i think the media, has messed people up here a bit, because all people here on tv is that fruits and vegetables are so good for you, but people dont realize that it should only be a small part of your diet. Definately not your meal.

I would say eat 3 pieces of fruit per day if you like, but its not necessary, and I wouldnt if you are cutting. The sugar will spike your insulin.
    Wrong

I would elaborate on this but I have already done so like 10 times over the past two months, so search some fruit threads for more specifics.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 06-29-2006 at 01:02 PM.

I agree, it wont most times, but if you eat large amounts it will. Also, Even though, you have explained it many times, I still think its different for different people. Although there may be nothing backing up my claim here, I do feel that some people are more sensitive to the sugars in fruit. Please forgive me if you disagree. This is just my opinion. For me, it does, others might not, so I try to avoid it on a cut. I still will eat strawberries though.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    For me, it does, others might not, so I try to avoid it on a cut. I still will eat strawberries though.
    The only way you would know this is if you have a glycometer and test before and after eating.

That and it could be that you are referring to a rise in insulin as spike. Many people confuse spike with "insulin release".

The Fitness Industry is a 1 billion dollar industry.
    --Dairy Queens Blizzard pulls in 3/4 of a billion.
    --------------We are the elite.------------

Some people do have problems digesting large amounts of fruit at one time.

Say, 60 grams.

It's not that I disagree...but everything I studied does.

Banned
    This is just my opinion.
    We're talking about topics that have been studied numerous times in laboratory settings. I don't think opinion matters here.

Although I do agree with the media hyping up fruit for weight loss. In terms of health, it's good. In terms of being the saint of weight loss, it is very possible to go over board.

Wannabebig Member
    wtf, really? people are discussing whether or not fruit is healthy? I thought this place was intelligent. eat a balanced diet of all food groups, farking hell people
    Last edited by dethfire; 10-06-2007 at 12:24 PM.

Learning as I progress
    Quote Originally Posted by dethfire View Post
    wtf, really? people are discussing whether or not fruit is healthy? I thought this place was intelligent. eat a balanced diet of all food groups, farking hell people

You are correct, however this is what the Op posted:

Quote Originally Posted by MagnaSephiroth
    Where should fruit come in for a muscle building diet. Are any fruits pretty essential and really good for what your trying to do, or are fruits more for just taste/weight loss? If fruits are helpful in the muscle proccess, which ones?
    Little bit of a difference.
    Complication breeds desperation.

wtf, really? people are discussing whether or not fruit is healthy?
    No, "heathy" is not the object of the question.

Read everything again, closer.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 10-07-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Banned
    Have a King Size Snickers bar when in doubt

You honestly read through this thread and that is what you got from it?
    Might want to check the date next time too.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Banned
    most of them are great