The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Of federations

Of federations

What are the biggest powerlifting federations in the US? Specifically, RAW feds and feds with many competitions in the northeast.

It seems that there are dozens. I work and I'm working on school and other crap, so I'd really prefer a 'big' federation in the sense that it will have many competitions and I won't have to work my schedule around them.

Quite a simple question, but I didn't notice it in any of the stickies.

Thanks!
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

APF, USAPL, WPO is the new big one right? I don't know about raw comps though.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

USAPL, APF, and NASA are big ones that I know of... NASA has some really hardcore RAW lifters IMO. I'm not sure how much these fed are out by you, but I would imagine USAPL is for sure.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    What are the biggest powerlifting federations in the US? Specifically, RAW feds and feds with many competitions in the northeast.

It seems that there are dozens. I work and I'm working on school and other crap, so I'd really prefer a 'big' federation in the sense that it will have many competitions and I won't have to work my schedule around them.

Quite a simple question, but I didn't notice it in any of the stickies.

Thanks!
    Good luck with that. One federation is not going to have THAT many competitions in a given area. I don't know where you live, but you should consider yourself very, very, very lucky to find 2 or 3 full-meets/year in your city or the surrounding towns.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Organichu View Post
    btw, I think you are looking at the comps in the wrong way - if you just compete when it's convenient, rather than sweat it out preparing for it, you probably aren't going to have the best performance. JMO.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Good luck with that. One federation is not going to have THAT many competitions in a given area. I don't know where you live, but you should consider yourself very, very, very lucky to find 2 or 3 full-meets/year in your city or the surrounding towns.
    Yeah, I figured so much. I just don't want it to be like "we have two competitions per year" and they're both on the other side of the country. As long as I could get a couple of meets per year within a few hours of me I'd be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    btw, I think you are looking at the comps in the wrong way - if you just compete when it's convenient, rather than sweat it out preparing for it, you probably aren't going to have the best performance. JMO.
    True enough, but at this point my immediate thought is just doing my first competition or two- not necessarily looking to do very well. I just want to get a feel for it, for the crowd, etc.- see if powerlifting competitively is a hobby I'd enjoy.

APA, NASA, USAPL, NDFPF, 100% Raw. I'd look at those and see how many meets they will be having in your area. Just check out those feds websites and they should list them.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

If you're just looking for meets or gyms:
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/states

Try different federations. Don't get sucked into just one.

Comparing federations:
    http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/compare-federations

Some federations have raw divisions but it really shouldn't matter. If you're looking to compete, compete however you want to. I've seen guys compete raw against others in unlimited equipment. You do what you have to do to test yourself. Placings aren't that important. There might not be anybody in your weight class and you'll get first if you only make your first attempts with the bar or you could find that meet where a world record holder is competing to requalify for nationals or something. Do your best, regardless.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Some federations have raw divisions but it really shouldn't matter. If you're looking to compete, compete however you want to. I've seen guys compete raw against others in unlimited equipment. You do what you have to do to test yourself. Placings aren't that important. There might not be anybody in your weight class and you'll get first if you only make your first attempts with the bar or you could find that meet where a world record holder is competing to requalify for nationals or something. Do your best, regardless.
    Oh, I guess I misunderstood the process. I thought that they strictly separated equipped and RAW lifting.

I have absolutely no misgivings about equipped lifting or being grouped in with them- I've just never done it. If it doesn't really matter, that's great. It makes my search far easier.

Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Organichu; 10-11-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Iron4Life
    the ADAU is big in Penn for raw and drug-free...
    http://pikitup.com/

GL and have fun...