The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Army PT+Weights

Winning is the easy part

Army PT+Weights

Hello everyone, i was wondering what would be a good workout to build muscle and mass while improving my PT at the same time. Im a 13 Bravo which requires me to a lot of heavy lifting so gaining muscle and mass will help with my job but at the same time I still want to maintain the high PT score that I have. I have currently purchases Maximus, ETS, and a productive called "Full Force" from www.focusintesity.com Im thinking of using this ranger workout, would it be appropriate or what modifications would you recommend i make to the program, or should i just scratch it all together.
    THE PUSH UP
    1) Timed sets of push-ups – Do timed sets of Regular, Wide arm and, Diamond push-ups for 40-30-20 seconds each with no more then 30 seconds rest between sets. Adhere strictly to proper form described in FM 21-20. (3 sets minimum)
    2) Bench press – Strength improvement. Perform 20 repetitions of 50% of body weight working towards 20 reps at 65%. Do 3-4 sets per session.
    3) Front Deltoid raises – 10-15 pounds 3-4 sets working towards temporary muscle failure (TMF).
    4) Tricep Extension – 10-15 pounds 3-4 sets working towards temporary muscle failure (TMF).
    5) Seated or bent over row - Strength improvement. Perform 20 repetitions of 50% of body weight working towards 20 reps at 65%. Do 3-4 sets per session.
    6) Swimmer or Prone Row – 3-4 sets at 20-30 reps each.
    7) Roman chair – 3-4 sets 20 –30 reps per set, facing down, progressing to with weight.
    8) Dips- 3-4 sets working towards muscle failure.
    Need help? Check out our Push Ups Improvement Section

THE SIT-UP
    1) Timed sets of sit-ups- Do timed sets of sit-ups for 60-40-30 seconds each with no more then 30 seconds rest between sets. Adhere strictly to proper form described in FM 21-20. (3 sets minimum)
    2) Flutter kicks – 3 sets of 50 –100 reps.
    3) Hanging leg raises* – 3 sets of 50 – 100 reps. Start with legs bent work towards legs straight.
    4) Incline sit-ups* 3-4 sets of 30 to 50 progressing to with weight as strength improves.
    5) Flat bench leg raises* – 3-4 sets of 20 to 30.
    *Exercise should be done very slowly to ensure a contraction is maintained throughout the repetition.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Crossfit
    End of story.

There's a workout of the day (WOD) on the main page. Just do it. Also, read the FAQ and "What is Crossfit" links before you ask a whole bunch of questions because just about all your questions can be found there, including substitutions for exercises that you can't do, either because of equipment or ability.
    I've been lifting for 20 years. Last year I started crossfit. It rocks. You WILL be in awesome shape.
    Last edited by manowar669; 10-11-2007 at 06:50 AM.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Combat Infantryman
    Heavy lifting in Artillery? =D

How to improve sit-ups? Squats and Deadlifts. How to improve push-ups? Bench press. How to improve run time? HIIT, Sprints, CrossFit and running.

My SU and PU's go up every APFT from the Big Three without doing ANY inbetween except for a timed 2 min. set here and there to gauge my performance.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle