View Poll Results: What kinda chin ups do you do?

Voters
82. You may not vote on this poll
  • Underhand

26 31.71%
  • Overhand

26 31.71%
  • Alternate between the two

30 36.59%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chin ups: Overhand or Underhand?

Quote Originally Posted by OGROK View Post
    Yeah it does matter. Chin-ups and pull-ups work different muscles. Pull-ups are also about twice as hard. If you are going to say the grip doesn't matter than everyone would be doing chin-ups because they could lift much more that way.

No, it doesn't. If your goal is to build a bigger, stronger back, it isn't going to matter.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    No, it doesn't. If your goal is to build a bigger, stronger back, it isn't going to matter.
    Yeah it is, unless you are taking steroids or some ****. Changing the grip makes the exercises different enough that the name changes -- the muscles worked are also different.
    Last edited by OGROK; 10-13-2007 at 06:56 PM.

Yeah it is, unless you are taking steroids or some ****. Changing the grip makes the exercises different enough that the name changes.
    On the contrary. If you're at the appropriate level to cycle, you're may or may not be at a point where you need to worry about the small stuff. Judging by your comment, I'd say you're far from that level. To quote several of the more astute members, who hardly post anymore, worrying about your grip or OMGZZZ a 30 degree incline as opposed to 35 degree incline is like focusing on painting the house before the foundation has been laid.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Yeah it does matter. Chin-ups and pull-ups work different muscles. Pull-ups are also about twice as hard. If the grip didn't matter than everyone would be doing chin-ups because they could lift much more that way, which would theoretically lead to better gains, which isn't the case.
    Once you achieve respectable numbers with one grip, your other grips are going to be comparable to the point that it just doesn't matter.

Btw, how many chinups do you have?
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
    Once you achieve respectable numbers with one grip, your other grips are going to be comparable to the point that it just doesn't matter.
    Good point. With chins I can probably do 10lbs more, but I tire out with just as many chins as I do with pull-ups.

Wannabebig Member
    mmm i was doing 50kg (3 sets of 10) with pullups (palm facing me) but when i tried palms facing the other way i couldn't lift that haha
    Originally Posted by azma
    Most dudes don't grow boobs from drinking milk, but, if you do grow boobs, just hope they're shapely. If so....PM me?

Quote Originally Posted by Negi View Post
    mmm i was doing 50kg (3 sets of 10) with pullups (palm facing me) but when i tried palms facing the other way i couldn't lift that haha
    When the palms are facing you, that is a chin-up, not a pull-up.

Yeah it is, unless you are taking steroids or some ****. Changing the grip makes the exercises different enough that the name changes -- the muscles worked are also different.
    Go ahead and give us some actuall proof of this. And not just your uneducated, biased opinion.

The best part is that the EMG studes have actually been done (although there are problems with such studies) that show the different emphasis placed on different muscles, but overall the same muscles are being used. But something tells me you dont have the ability to research them, and you would obviously interpret them incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    This man is correct.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Get big.
    Why is it that some people have such an easier time with chin ups rather than pull ups if its all the same muscles? Just from my own experience, I find chin ups easier so that's why I've been focusing on wide grip pull ups

It puts the bicep in a much stronger postition. Which is going to be the main muscle difference as the bicep isnt activated very well unless it is fully supinated. But as far as your back is concerned hand position changed very little. Just make progress at whatever movment you choose to do.

--Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    30th U.S. President

I do overhand on my back day because it concentrates more of the work on your lats and I do underhand on arm day because it concentrates more on your bi's. So it matters what you want to work. Back overhand arms underhand, while both grips will work both these muscles the concentration of which muscle is taking the most heat changes from grip to grip. Just like doing a wide grip bench press or a narrow grip bench press, wide does chest narrow does tri's.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

I hope the original poster got the message that it's not going to matter. Do both, do one, do mixed. Just get stronger at them and eat more calories than you burn.

--Abraham Lincoln

30th U.S. President

Quote Originally Posted by KingWilder View Post
    technically a chinup would be palms facing towards you and a pullup would be palms facing away/overhand
    Bumping thread to criticize this silly new-age technicality.

Who started this pullup = pronated and chinup = supinated crap?

This must have began in the late 90s or something because I have about 6 bodybuilding books produced in the 80s which use the terms pretty interchangeably.

If anyone's interested, I will find and scan pages which show it being called 'chins' or 'chinups' when people are using an overhand grip.

Even browsing Google Books I found a good example of this:

This image is from a 1952 manual by the US army on physical reconditioning which can be freely read here:

https://play.google.com/store/books/...AAAYAAJ&rdot=1

I'm sure there are numerous other examples. Chinning has included overhand grips for a long time. The move to exclude overhand grips and call them 'pull ups' is a new movement, and one that seems incredibly lame.

Chin-ups and pull-ups work different muscles.
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPac View Post
    I tire out with just as many chins as I do with pull-ups.
    Give it up, you're doing it wrong

Here's a book from 1884 (which you can also get for free at http://books.google.ca/books?id=dKACAAAAYAAJ&num=16 ) which uses the term "pulling up" (obvious predecessor to pull-up) to describe underhand grips:

Last edited by tyciol; 07-20-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Why is it a 'silly' technicality?

I can feel a difference ----- as a lot of people have already mentioned palms out (pullup) is much more back/lat ordeal. Palms facing you (chinup) hits biceps/ lats.

A better question is "What is the difference between a Romanian Deadlift and a Straight leg Deadlift?"
    Last edited by Iplan; 07-20-2012 at 09:28 PM.
    Does this pose make my camera look big?

"We're not as good as we want to be, we're not as good as we should be, but thank God we're not as bad as we used to be..."

Not much difference in level of lat engagement. The main difference is that pronated puts the elbow flexors in a much weaker position, as well as puts the lats in a less effective position. It's more challenging not because it's a better exercise, but because it's less natural, anatomically.
    "Except Belial. He knows everything. This isn't a sarcastic attack, either. He really knows everything." -----Organichu
    "Alex is all knowing and perfect"-----Jane (loosely paraphrased)
    -515/745/700 bench/deadlift/squat
    Current mile time: 4:23
    Marathons: 3
    Century races: 3
    Ironmans: 1
    Ultramarathons: 1
    Current supps: http://www.atlargenutrition.com/prod...covery/results

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    That was a random bump. Guessing someone voted in the poll
    Last edited by cphafner; 07-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.
    My Journal
    http://wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=119765

I think this is possibly the all-time best response on WBB. - Jorge Sanchez

"you're an animal eat like one damn it!" - Wikked1

"Now we're finally getting to the chicken or the egg question," I grinned. "Did I eat all that food because my size gives me more of an appetite, or did I get to be this big because I've been forcing myself to eat like this for years?"

From A Body Builder is Born

i knew you were a beast but not that kinda of a beast that eats grown men and children.. lilmase

I would do both. Each are unique movements that will hit the body differently.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    Do them both for complete back & bicep development.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Ranger View Post
    Do them both for complete back & bicep development.
    Yes, do them both and you will have "complete" back and bicep development. No deadlifts, rows, pull downs, curls or anything else needed...

I'm assuming that's not exactly what you meant, right?
    6'1"/203 (down 12 pounds since 5/2012)
    B: 410
    S: 480
    D: 575
    2-mile run: 13:23

Wannabebig Member
    I do both, they are just great.

It is a trick question...

Neutral is the best. Overhand = weakest position = your back most likely won't fatigue first. Underhand = stronger position, so you are giving your back a better chance to fatigue first. Neutral = strongest position for your biceps and forearms = back gets the most work through the ability to do more "work".

Quote Originally Posted by tom183 View Post
    To clarify: it's not distinguishing the grips that is wrong, just the names that've been chosen for them. Overhand/underhand is better since that's how people would describe lat pulldowns or rows or curls anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Iplan View Post
    A better question is "What is the difference between a Romanian Deadlift and a Straight leg Deadlift?"
    Stiff-legged means keeping a fixed knee angle, I figure (in that case we should probably call them stiff-kneed, since the hip joint's part of the leg too I thought).

Romanian shouldn't even be called a deadlift, it should be called a Vladlift, after Nicu Vlad, the Romanian who popularized the lift. It begins at the top, with the eccentric, so it's not a dead lift. It's an undead lift.

Quote Originally Posted by FearFactory View Post
    Neutral is the best. Overhand = weakest position = your back most likely won't fatigue first. Underhand = stronger position, so you are giving your back a better chance to fatigue first. Neutral = strongest position for your biceps and forearms = back gets the most work through the ability to do more "work".
    Another great thing about neutral grip is I find when I do them on the gym grips that at the top, you can pull the top of your shoulders/traps into the other bars.

Maybe that limits the peak contraction or something but I find it feels great since you can pull as hard as you want without moving (like added isometric resistance) since the grips stop you from going up further.

Wannabebig Member
    I've trained solely on overhand chin ups (pull ups) for a while so overhand is way easier for me. I've noticed that doing underhand chin ups now really stresses my wrists and shoulders. I'm thinking that it is a shoulder girdle flexibility issue from only doing pull ups for years. To hold the horizontal bar, my arms and shoulders have to rotate inwards for chin ups and it is very uncomfortable. Does anybody else have that pain?
    "There is no reason to be alive if you can't do deadlift!"
    - Jón Páll Sigmarsson, World's Strongest Man Champion (1984, 1986, 1988, 1990)

5'7", 200lbs

Gym / Competition Lifts - all unequipped
    435lbs / 413.3lbs
    325lbs / 286.6lbs
    565lbs / 551.1lbs
    Federations Lifted In: PRIDE Powerlifting (now defunct), AAPF/AWPC, USAPL, WABDL

Quote Originally Posted by tyciol View Post
    It's an undead lift.