Thread: Dealing with an 8 hour shift

Dealing with an 8 hour shift

Any ideas?

Every job I've held previous to this was very casual (family stuff, tutoring, teaching piano, volunteering without pay, etc.). Next week, though, I start a generic retail job (cross training sales associate and backroom) at Target. Apparently work like this is pretty soul-numbing.

Just wondering how you retail/stock monkeys get through an 8 hour shift. I've honestly never had to deal with 8 hours under the scrutiny of a supervisor who needs to meet deadlines and all. How boring is it? How can I make it less boring?
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

I work 8-12 hour shifts doing mindless factory work. For the first year or so I just stared at the clock and it dragged like hell. Eventually you learn to turn off. Yes, it's soul destroying, it's dull, your brain will slowly decay, you'll go mad with boredom. You'll lose all motivation, all self-esteem, all will to live.

I try to relieve the boredom by throwing things, and writing insulting messages on things. You can only do so much though, I've been here over three years and it still bores the **** out of me and I just feel like burning the place down with everyone in it.

Just like anything that drains away your life, you will grow accustomed to it and when it's no longer there for you you'll want it more and more.

LOL. I think Anelka hit it on the head. The good thing is 8 hours seems like nothing when you start doing 12-16 hours at a time. I work at a warehouse throwing boxes all day and I just try to get a workout out of it. Doing reps with 80lb boxes of frozen meat gets some funny looks from the supervisors though It sounds like yours wont be too bad though...I can think of worse parts in a store than cross training and stuff

The harder and faster you work, the faster the time will go.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Genacide View Post

Your first 8 hour shift is going to feel like 24. Staying busy is going to be the best way to make the time go by quickly. I worked at a grocery store for almost 5 years and whenever I worked an eight hour shift I would like to work for a long time without a break and then take breaks more often towards the end.

You'll just have to get used to working like most everyone else.
    "You can take control of my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan always keeps.... his PRIDE!"- Vegeta

My Exploits

I work 9 hours every Saturday and Sunday in a grocery. The store manager is in charge of me so I don't really get to slack off. Exactly what everyone else said. Don't look at the time if you can help it and just keep busy. It sounds lame, but look for work.
    My Journal

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.

Bring an ipod when your doing stock?
    w:225lbs. h:5'10.
    630/385/545/1560
    Journal | Vids

"im ready for the ladies too, my stomach has never been bigger and ive never been hairier." - Stumprrp

TJW

Exactly.

I used to drive a bus. No matter how much you like driving, it can get monotonous if you spend 3-12 hours driving the same 10-20mile route.

The key for me was to challenge myself to drive to perfection - see how close I could take my right rear tire to the curb without doing a curb check, try not to jar the passengers in the slightest when stopping, hit the assigned stop at the exact scheduled time, etc.
    A child does not learn to squat from the top down. In other words, he does not suddenly make a conscious decision one day to squat. Actually, he is squatting one day and make the conscious decision to stand. Squatting precedes standing in the developmental sequence. This is the way a child's brain learns to use the body as the child develops movement patterns. Therefore, a child is probably crawling, rocks back into a squatting position with the back completely relaxed and the hips completely flexed, and stands when he has enough hip strength. This approach makes a lot of sense and can be applied to relearning the deep squat movement if it is lost. -Gray Cook
    Lifting Clips: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=johnnymnemonic2
    Blog: http://squatrx.blogspot.com/

The 8 hours will seem like a long time at first, but eventually you will adjust and it will not seem so long. If you get a lunch break in there it definitely helps to break up the time. If you can be flexible with your lunch, take it a bit later so you have a shorter afternoon, that way once lunch is over you know you'll only have a few hours left and you'll be more motivated.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

In most menial jobs, you can't really work hard. In a shop for instance, if you're at a till you're just sat there.

Wannabebig Member
    Don't be staring at the clock all the time, I work in a kitchen in the summers and there's so much do to in such little time it makes time fly.
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

Quote Originally Posted by anelka View Post
    In most menial jobs, you can't really work hard. In a shop for instance, if you're at a till you're just sat there.
    In most? What kind of menial jobs are you working? I've worked the entire gamut of menial jobs when I was younger - fast food, grocery stores, paper route, landscaping, retail - and not a SINGLE one of them disallowed you to work really hard.
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

I can divide by zero.
    I work about 10 hours a day, Monday through Friday. It's a little monotonous some days, but I really like my job.

If you have a boring job like retail, just hope that you have good co-workers. Lazy people and people with bad attitudes will make it suck. If you have good co-workers and can have fun while getting your work done, you're all set.

I used to work at a convenience store running a cash register and making pizza and subs. When I had good people to work with, it was a fun job.

Try not to clock watch and keep busy. If you have good people to work with, so much the better.
    Bigger, stronger, faster, every day.

I'll say this, not looking at the clock does help. I have the time hidden on the taskbar of my computer and a post-it over the time on my phone and both time I've looked at the clock today two hours have passed in no time.

Flirt with the hot chicks at work. And the hot customers, too.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

lol, I work 4am-2pm mon-sat. Lifting frozen pig hearts,kidneys at a meat factory. The temp was roughly 30-32 degrees throughout the factory and the boxes frozen weigh about 75-80 lbs, We do about 12 skids each day and there are about 40 boxes on each skid. It sucks.
    Last edited by RinkerxX; 10-10-2007 at 12:24 PM.

I would also add, keep a positive attitude. It's hard sometimes, especially with all the ass-hat customers and co-workers/bosses, but it will make your time there much easier. Don't stress out about the little things.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Hatfield View Post
    You'll just have to get used to working like most everyone else.
    I've worked hundred hour weeks; I'm used to working. I'm just unaccustomed to the whole big company thing with pressure from supervisors and managers who need to hop scotch over red tape and within corporate lines and all. I hate bureaucracy.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
    20 y/o, 6'1", 186 lbs, 14% BF
    bench: 350 deadlift: 560 parallel squat: 465
    total: 1375 @ 186

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge Sanchez View Post

Your first 8 hour shift is going to feel like 24. Staying busy is going to be the best way to make the time go by quickly. I worked at a grocery store for almost 5 years and whenever I worked an eight hour shift I would like to work for a long time without a break and then take breaks more often towards the end.

That's what I do at my current, mindnumbing 9 to 5'er. Yahoo!
    25 years old, 5'10''

Back in the States to get hayooooge!

Health goals
    - Weigh a healthy and active 170-180, healthy mind and body
    - Dunk a basketball (hey a man can have big dreams huh)
    - Swim 2-3x/week and become a better swimmer