The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Stay warmer, recover quicker?

I may be way off base here but hang with me...
    Would you recover quicker if you were cold 100% of the time or warm? I understand the body works to stay at 98.6 but if you are cold then your muscles are contracting to keep you body warm- this uses up not only calories (energy) but also your muscles have little-no down time as they are constantly contracting. So if you work to stay at a temperature that your body finds agreeable (relaxed, warm, noneed for contractions for warmth, and no extra work to use calories) you can recover quicker. Does that sound legitimate?
    Sarvamangalam!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I think staying warmer helps you to recover quicker. Everyday before I go to sleep, I take a really hot shower and make sure I stay as warm as possible.. aspecially after doing heavy squats, having to deal with sore glutes is a pain in the ass. Get it?

It seems to work for me though.
    Last edited by MPB; 10-10-2007 at 12:20 PM.

articles of confederation?

Is it really true that your muscles tone and contract to produce help raise bodyheat when your body is not signficantly cold? I mean, I could sign on with that if someone were in cold weather, but just because you are in a 69F room and your body temp drops 0.1 degree, are your mucles really going to contract?

Secondly, are you just theorizing that involuntary contraction would slow recuperation, or is this based on something?
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

Quote Originally Posted by zen View Post
    articles of confederation?

Is it really true that your muscles tone and contract to produce help raise bodyheat when your body is not signficantly cold? I mean, I could sign on with that if someone were in cold weather, but just because you are in a 69F room and your body temp drops 0.1 degree, are your mucles really going to contract?

Secondly, are you just theorizing that involuntary contraction would slow recuperation, or is this based on something?
    I am just speculating and pushing the circumstances to the limit. I don't think a 69 degree room would make that much of a difference but yes, I think if you were say in cold tempratures constantly it may heed recovery. I am not sure what the threshold would be, if there is one. It is mostly speculation, but I think there may be some worth in the idea. I am asking for opinions on the validity of my hypothesis.
    Last edited by ZenMonkey; 10-10-2007 at 02:54 PM.
    Sarvamangalam!

I've read on this website of football players taking intermittent very cold baths to speed recovery. Something about your heart pumping more blood to keep the body warm. It's the same concept as low intensity cardio after your leg days to make them heal faster.

I don't know anything about involuntary contractions though.

protein also helps in muscle recovery

Quote Originally Posted by BigDanny817 View Post
    protein also helps in muscle recovery
    lol, here we go.

anyway, back on topic. I'm sure this is something that could be studied, if it hasn't already. Recuperation time compared to mean ambient temperatures.
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'

i haven't found any studies, searched for a while...
    hmm,, the cold bath make sense, but not for long periods of time( i woud think)

Now what about sleep? Would a person benefit from remaining under many blankets more than someone who hadn't? (with all else equal) We obviously need someone with more expertise
    Sarvamangalam!