Thread: Yet Another Journal

Yet Another Journal

Friday, June 13th

Ramblings
    It's been awhile since I've made a journal entry. And it's been even longer since I started a new journal (about 9 months) so I figure I can be forgiven for starting yet another one. Hell, I'll probably be just as ****ty as keeping this one up-to-date as the last few. When I didn't have a job, I was a journal keeping machine.

There are many new developments since the last journal:
    1) I now live in Bellevue, Wa (near Seattle). Here's the Wikipedia entry:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bellevue,_Washington
    Here's a picture I took:

Most notably to me, it's home to Valve Software (makers of Half-life). lol
    2) I have a new job as a Dev Manager for the team responsible for TMObile ringtone download network and bumped my salary up by about 50%. Right now I work for a company called InfoSpace. But Motricity, a competitor based in Durham, NC just bought the mobile division of my company. Here's the news:
    http://www.motricity.com/press/infospace/
    They actually did it for the people here more so than our technology, so my job, etc is safe. But in about three months my paycheck will be coming from a different company. I'm still adjusting to the job, so it'll be interesting to see. Actually, we're not even moving to a new facility so things should remain relative stable for awhile.
    3) I ran into some legal difficulties. Unfortunately, this means I'm out about 8K and have been somewhat stressed out recently. I'm not going to go into this further.
    4) I have a new girlfriend.
    Add all this up and it's not surprising I'm a fat sloppy mess again. Here is a picture I took 30 minutes ago at 210lbs. (Forgive the quality; I can't find my camera):

Here is where I was a few months ago, before I got fat again (at about 201lbs):

And amusingly enough during my move I uncovered some 'before' shots from about 6 years ago. For the amusement of all here is one:

So, I aim to stop being a fatass. I dunno if this week will be the week, but I will start keeping a journal (however ****ty it might be). I may start the UD2 again next week, but I'm not sure. I seem not to have the discipline for anything else (I'm an all-or-nothing kind of guy) Currently, I'm nearing the end of the 15-rep portion of a half-assed HST cycle in which I haven't really been tracking diet.

Diet
    M1: 1 ZonePerfect Bar
    M2: 1oz peanuts, turkey & swiss on whole wheat, 1 ZonePerfect Bar
    M3: 1 ZonePerfect Bar
    M4: ...

Comments:
    Meh

Training: 7:15pm - 8pm, Location: LA Fitness
    Nautilus Overhead Press: 125 x 15, 125 x 15, 125 x 4
    Overhand Pulldown: 120 x 15, 120 x 7
    Flat Bench: 135 x 15, 135 x 8
    Precor Rows: 130 x 13, 130 x 8
    Incline Free Motion Press: 120 x 15, 120 x 15
    Squats: 135 x 15
    Laterals: 15s x 15, 15s x 9, 15s x 8
    DB Curls: 30s x 15, 30s x 8
    BB Curl: bar x 15
    Leg Press: 320 x 15, 320 x 8

Comments
    Bleh. Pretty crappy.

Weight 210lbs
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 10-17-2007 at 10:25 PM.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

Parables and Portraits, Stephen Mitchell

Damn man, it's good to see you back over this way. I'm guessing 4 and 5 are related in some way. If I'm not mistaken, I was lookin at your myspace awhile back through Xian's page. Have you taken any photos as of late?

Edit: Why does this have Friday, June 13th at the top?
    Last edited by Chubrock; 10-18-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    Damn man, it's good to see you back over this way. I'm guessing 4 and 5 are related in some way. If I'm not mistaken, I was lookin at your myspace awhile back through Xian's page. Have you taken any photos as of late?

Edit: Why does this have Friday, June 13th at the top?
    Thanks man.

4 & 5? You mean 3 & 4? (There is no item 5). The g/f and the legal issues aren't really related. Though there is a tangential relationship.

Yes, I did have a MySpace. I deleted it, though I am still on Facebook. The 2nd photo above (me in my pasty, corpulent glory) is from last night, so yes, I've taken recent photos.

Friday, June 13th? Probalby b/c it's the old journal entry of mine I swiped to use as a template.

We tend to think of Sisyphus as a tragic hero, condemned by the gods to shoulder his rock sweatily up the mountain, and again up the mountain, forever. The truth is that Sisyphus is in love with the rock. He cherishes every roughness and every ounce of it. He talks to it, sings to it. It has become the mysterious Other. He even dreams of it as he sleepwalks upward. Life is unimaginable without it, looming always above him like a huge gray moon. He doesn’t realize that at any moment he is permitted to step aside, let the rock hurtle to the bottom, and go home.

b]Thursday, Oct 18th[/b]

Ramblings

Diet
    M2: 1 ZonePerfect bar
    M2: Thai Food, 1 ZonePerfect Bar
    M3: ...

Comments:
    **** so far.

Training
    None

Comments
    Bleh. Pretty crappy.

Weight 209lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Blood&Iron View Post
    Thanks man.

4 & 5? You mean 3 & 4? (There is no item 5). The g/f and the legal issues aren't really related. Though there is a tangential relationship.

Yes, I did have a MySpace. I deleted it, though I am still on Facebook. The 2nd photo above (me in my pasty, corpulent glory) is from last night, so yes, I've taken recent photos.

Friday, June 13th? Probalby b/c it's the old journal entry of mine I swiped to use as a template.

You're right. I did mean 3 and 4. As far as photos, I was talking more about your artistic stuff. I'm pretty sure it was your page I was looking at, though I very well could be mistaken.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Good to see you.

I still think you are overly critical of yourself.

Don't overcomplicate what you need to do to get where you want to be.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    You're right. I did mean 3 and 4. As far as photos, I was talking more about your artistic stuff. I'm pretty sure it was your page I was looking at, though I very well could be mistaken.
    I think you're thinking of Budiak. He's the photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    Good to see you.

I still think you are overly critical of yourself.

Don't overcomplicate what you need to do to get where you want to be.
    Eh, it's my nature to be critical of myself. It seems worse than it really is. I'm *much* less critical than I used to be. At the same time, I *have* gained 8-9 lbs in the last month or two.

And by nature I do tend to I'm pretty relaxed. I do use the goofy old UD2 (which is more complicated than necessary) but that's mainly b/c of anyting I've tried I'm able to apply the most consistency to it. I prefer the simple approach, I simply don't seem to have the right mindset for it most of the time. I'm not ruling it out, though.

You'll be happy to no I didn't get the car. lol. Still working on fiscal responsiblity in general; the 8K hit I just took is certainly pushing me in that direction.

I'm not happy you didn't get the car. I'm happy you didn't go into debt to get the car.

We just got a Lexus IS 350. It wasn't my first choice, but it's not my daily driver. Stupid fast. I think it's remarkable that a $40k ($36k with all the performance options you need) car in today's car market can run with the previous generation M3.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Monday, Oct 22nd

Ramblings
    Giving a 'moderate' approach a chance. Nevermind that last week was a disaster and I'm now up to 212. I'm going to use a modified version of the worktouts I use with the UD2, just without the diet. THey'll look something like:
    Monday: High-rep Upper Body
    Tuesday: High-rep Lower Body + Abs
    Wednesday: Cardio (optional)
    Thursday: Moderate Rep Full-Body (may skip legs)
    Fri: Cardio (optional)
    Sat: Low-rep Full-Body
    Sunday: Off

Diet shoudl be around: 200g carbs, 200g protein, 60-70g fat

Diet
    M2: Jimmy John's Turkey Sandwich, 1/4 cookie
    M3: 1 Premier Protein Bar
    M4: 1oz cashews
    M4: 15g whey, 20g dextrose, 2g creatine
    M4: 2 Lean Turkey Burgers on White Buns
    M5: 1 cup skim milk, 1/2 cup granola

Totals (very approx): 220g carbs, 150g protein, 65g fat

Comments:
    Bit low in protein.

Training: 6:10pm - 6:50pm, Location: LA Fitness
    Nautilus Overhead Press: 125 x 15, 125 x 15, 125 x 9
    One Arm Row: R: 65 x 15, 65 x 10 L: 65 x 15, 65 x 10
    Flat Bench: 135 x 15, 135 x 6
    Overhand Pulldown: 110 x 15, 110 x 11, 110 x 8
    Incline Free Motion Press: 110 x 15, 110 x 8
    Free Motion Flye: 90 x 10
    Machine Row: 140 x 10
    Rev Pec Deck: 65 x 14, 65 x 6
    Laterals: 15s x 15, 15s x 8
    DB Curls: 15s x 5, 25s x 15, 25s x 15
    Nautilus Overhead Press: 125 x 15, 125 x 10
    Curl Jockeying

Comments
    Not bad

Weight 210lbs

Saturday, Oct 27th

Ramblings
    Bit behind...

Diet

Comments:

Training: 4:50pm - 6:00pm, Location: LA Fitness
    Sumo Deads: 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 315 x 3, 315 x 3
    DB OHP: 40s x 5
    Nautilus Overhead Press: 125 x 5, 200 x 5, 215 x 3, 230 x 4
    One Arm Row:
    --->R: 40 x 5, 60 x 3, 90 x 5, 90 x 4
    --->L: 40 x 5, 60 x 3, 90 x 5, 90 x 4
    Incline DB Press: 45s x 5, 65s x 3, 85s x 3, 85s x 3
    Pulldown: 100 x 5, 150 x 5
    Chins: bdy x 3, +25 x 3, +25 x 3
    Bench: 135 x 8@202 cadence, 155 x 5@202
    Standing Calf: 120 x 5, 225 x 5, 225 x 3
    Standing Leg Curl:
    --->R: 50 x 5, 60 x 4
    --->L: 50 x 5, 60 x 4
    Laterals: 25s x 6, 25s x 3
    Curls: 25s x 5, 40s x 4, 40s x 3
    Curl Jockeying

Comments
    Not terrible. First time I've done deads in quite some time and they felt okay.

Weight 210lbs

b]Monday, Oct 29th[/b]

Ramblings
    So, as I feared, using a 'moderate' approach has resulted in no weightloss so far. I'm still at about 208-210. I've been eating moderately well, but probably have enough snacks here and there to keep me from losing weight. I'll try to track things a bit better to get a feel for what I really need to do. I'm still not going to revert to my UD2 ways right now as I just don't have the energy given everything else going on in my life. As long as I don't get fatter, I'm won't be too depressed--though, I'd definitely prefer to be getting leaner.

Diet
    M1: 1 ZonePerfect Bar, 1oz Jerky
    M2: Turkey Breast on whole wheat, no sugar pudding
    M3: ...

Comments:
    To come

Training: 8:20am- 8:50pm, Location: LA Fitness
    Nautilus Overhead Press: 95 x 5, 125 x 15, 125 x 15, 125 x 6
    One Arm Row:
    --->R: 40 x 5, 60 x 15, 60 x 8
    --->L: 40 x 5, 60 x 15, 60 x 8
    Decline HS Bench: 140 x 15, 140 x 8
    Pulldown: 110 x 15, 110 x 8
    Rev Pec Deck: 50 x 15, 50 x 14
    Curls: 20s x 15, 20s x 15
    Curl Jockeying

Comments
    Eh. Dislike working out in the morning but I've been finding it difficult to get in otherwise.

Weight 209lbs

Brief Update:
    I seem to be moving in the wrong direction. 214 this morning. Haven't been gorging myself or anything. Diet is not *horrible*. Perhaps it's the approaching big 3-0. I dunno what, if anyting, I will do to fix this. We shall see.

You should find me on facebook.

Hitting 30 indeed slowed things down for me, but it wasn't drastic. Some obvious adjustments set things straight.

The good news is that now at 37, things aren't much different.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg View Post
    You should find me on facebook.

Hitting 30 indeed slowed things down for me, but it wasn't drastic. Some obvious adjustments set things straight.

The good news is that now at 37, things aren't much different.
    You have been added sir.

Despite all my self-flagellation, I must not look too bad as a friend of my g/f (who hangs out at the gym and with some competing bodybuilders), asked my g/f if I use steroids. She was sure I did or that, minimally, I had in the past because I was "too broad" and that my upper body was "enormous". She also told her friend who juices (and is getting ready for a competition) that I looked better than him. Ha.

Also, as I don't seem to have much motivation in keeping in shape, I may actually give powerlifting a try. Given that I know basically **** all, this journal may soon become hilarious as I flail pathetically about trying to learn. I'm still undecided on the matter.
    Last edited by Blood&Iron; 11-05-2007 at 08:51 PM.

I'm hopin to see some interesting stuff in here with u changing over to powerlifting!

Andrew
    Do what needs to be done.

Every time I was in the hole I swear a turd kissed my underwear. - Hatred
    I love snatch. I think I'm addicted to it. - Stray
    I like a woman I can climb - Jinkies
    Personally ... I'm a vagitarian - Brawl
    I don't box, but I'll have a dance off with any of you tools. When I get all my 230 lbs shaking and grooving you bet your a$$es you'll get served. - BilltheButcher

Powerlifting is easy. And fun.

Mostly because being fat is fun.
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

blood, not being offensive by any means, trust me, i was always quite dumb founded at your amazing large built compared to your lifts, your not weak by any means but by looking at you id be like damn he must rep 315 on bench or something.

its what you aim for, so great job man, i wish i looked like that sometimes. not a big fat powerlifting blob haha.
    2000 or bust

Quote Originally Posted by Stumprrp View Post
    blood, not being offensive by any means, trust me, i was always quite dumb founded at your amazing large built compared to your lifts, your not weak by any means but by looking at you id be like damn he must rep 315 on bench or something.

its what you aim for, so great job man, i wish i looked like that sometimes. not a big fat powerlifting blob haha.
    No worries, no offense taken.

I'm only too well aware that I'm pretty weak relative to my size. A lot of that has to do with my training. There are plenty of small, thin powerlifters that put my numbers to shame. But then, of course they do...that's what they train for. By the same token, I look way bigger than some folks that are way stronger than me. But, of course I do, that's what I train for. Looks have pretty much always been my prime motivation.

As for repping 315 on bench, i don't really ever even do flat bench. Of course, I suck at it when I do.

But given that right now I'm flabby (I'm actually up to 217), I think it's a decent opportunity to try something else. I just haven't had the time to read up and make an 'intelligent' foray into powerlifting. My only other concern is injury as I have a few nagging ones that may be a problem.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    We're heading down the same path together. I'm crossing boundaries into Powerlifting for awhile. Hey! We can hold hands!
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.