The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Squat form video

Ok, first thing is first. I was in a rush because my damn memory card was full and I only had 30 seconds of video, so my form may be even worse than it usually is. I don't think I went down far enough in the first one but the rest looked better to me, but I don't know all the fine things about squat form because I haven't compared the video to other correct forms yet.

This is only my second squat session so that's why I had a measly 120lbs on there. I don't want to use more weight until I get the form down better, so let me know all the things that suck.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    Looks fine to me.
    I can't quite tell, but it looks like you stand on your toes to get the bar out of the rack. If you did, then I would suggest lowering the pins a hole or two.

Hmm, it does look like that in the video. Either it's the video of I did it without knowing, but I'm pretty sure I usually just have to stand up all the way to unrack it. Maybe it was because I was in a hurry. I'll keep that in mind and check it out next time, thanks.

I'm using the high bar position right now because low bar hurts my right shoulder from an injury, just in case anyone tells me to use low bar.

Looks good to me, especially for only your second time squatting.

Cool, thanks guys. I thought it would be horrendous or something. Maybe I'll start adding some weight now that my form is decent enough.

Iron4Life
    Don't lock your knees at the top...
    otherwise, put some weight on the bar and squat some more... looks good.

And take some more video so you can review it... I would suggest different angles so you can view your knees.. and not-so-baggy shorts, so you can watch your depth better..

When you don't have someone to spot your form... a vid camera can be your best friend..

GL.. and keep squatting...

I was under the impression that it was ok to lock your knees out so long as you don't hyper-extend them...

And I like my shorts

Thanks, I'll throw some more weight on next week and take another video to make sure the form is still there.

Banned
    Your knees come way too far forward. You need tp ush your hips back FIRST before you bend your knees. You squat down and should squat back.

If your shoulder hurts, move your grip out wider, stretch, and warm-up properly before you squat. With any substantial weight on the bar, the hi bar position will throw you forward.

Quote Originally Posted by RhodeHouse View Post
    Your knees come way too far forward. You need tp ush your hips back FIRST before you bend your knees. You squat down and should squat back.

If your shoulder hurts, move your grip out wider, stretch, and warm-up properly before you squat. With any substantial weight on the bar, the hi bar position will throw you forward.
    Not for a full squat - it looks like he is trying to simulate an Olympic lift more than a powerlifting one, and in that case you need to squat down, not back. Further, his knees are just fine if that is what he is after.

Keeping your grip narrow will help you lock your back in more if you are sticking with the high bar position. Its hard to see from this angle, but is that your absolute bottom position? A good thing you might try out is pausing at your absolute bottom and keeping yourself tight there for a moment. It'll teach you where it is and help you build strength out of the bottom.

I wouldn't worry about switching back to low-bar, necessarily. High-bar squatting is a bit of a different game, but it has some great benefits.