The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Weight Lifting and Acne (Possible Connection?)

I've been lifting about 4 years now. I started lifting my freshmen year of college at 135lbs and pushed myself up to around 190lbs this past summer. Around the same time I developed some pretty brutal cystic acne on / around my chin. I figured it was a coming of age thing, especially since I tended to be a late bloomer. I went to a dermatologist, was put on antibiotics, and it seemed to lessen the amount and frequency, but I still got one huge pimple, about every week, on / around my chin.

I went to Europe for 3 weeks this past summer. Decided not to lift / exercise those 3 weeks so I could drink a lot of German beer (haha) and see the sites etc. Didn't get a single pimple, even with the binge drinking and walking all day in hot weather.

I figured my acne came from the increased levels of testosterone caused by building muscle and eating a ton of meat. I still haven't had a pimple since. My skin has totally cleared up. I was wondering if something similar has happened to anyone else? I asked my dermatologist about it and he said weight lifting doesn't cause acne. However, I'm skeptical.

I'm at a crossroads. I really loved exercising / lifting, but hated my acne so much that it has kept me away. I never took any gear or anything. Did take some creatine (on and off) and usually had a protein shake after a workout.

I haven't found much on the internet so let me know what you've experienced / think.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

walking around (outside I assume) do wonders for you vitamin d supply I think, maybe that's what caused it?

lifting does boost test, but i found that my (mild) acne finally cleared up when I spent more time outside, even though in that same timeframe I was working out harder than ever and really bulking up.
    -Matt
    gym lifts: squat: 341lbs, deadlift: 374lbs, bench: 275lbs
    My journal: http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=85034
    "Fk you and the Prowler you rode in on"

It could be from the sweating you are doing while lifting weights... Especially if you don't shower/wash your face immediately after your w/o's...
    Under Construction...

or maybe you just had acne b/c of puberty and are now growing out of it? I was on accutane for 6 months and have had but a few small pimples since.
    Under Construction...

This has been brought up before, and I've always wondered about it myself. There are just too damn many factors in my life to attribute my acne to weight training alone. I read an interesting theory on another forum, saying that perhaps acne is caused (at least partially) by the hormones in meat and dairy products. One of these days I'll decide to *try* to eliminate those products, but it will be difficult since almost everything has hormones in it.

Wannabebig Member
    Gunshow, I just started taking accutane. How long have you been off of it? My acne had cleared up, and it's only been 2 months... but I'm wondering how long after I stop taking the pills that my skin will be good (for the most part).

My doctor is a quack and can't answer a question without telling me 12 different things.

I had acne for 5 years of my life, and it was bad. I hated going to school, I never took my shirt off (it was all over my back). I tried pro-active, anti-biotics. Nothing worked. I wanted to go on accutane but the side effects were so bad (by my moms standards at the time) it was out of the question. I'm now turning 20 and it's just about cleared up. One of the major things I found that helped me was routine showers after the gym, keeping stress levels low. I found the higher the level of stress, and still today, the more acne I got. Also, and this probably isn't the answer you are looking for, in time you will grow out of it. It took me 5 years but I was a bad case. Don't stop working out because of acne, just be positive. No one looks at you any different because of it. Just give it time.
    H: 5'7" W:185
    Goals: 495 -315 -585

Persistence Persistence. - Calvin Coolidge.
    "I'm so pissed at how dumb this thread is that I think I'll go kick my cat. Again"-Belial
    "I mean, it's kind of like neutering your cat, hoping that'll stop your dog from humping your leg." - Belial
    Journal

Wannabebig Member

Acne

Cards, I just want to say something...

My doctor told me that Accutane was great, but that it had very serious and uncomfortable side effects, so I didn't go on it.

Now, I've been on it for 2 months... and the WORST THING I've had since starting it is just some dry lips. I put off taking accutane for a year (hence, an extra year of acne and acne scarring I didn't need on my skin) because of my doctor, until I found out from a friend just how great it was.

Accutane is amazing. My skin doesn't even feel dry, my eyes aren't even itchy, I can see PERFECT at night... dry lips are the only thing I got.

Quote Originally Posted by renaissanceman View Post
    Cards, I just want to say something...

My doctor told me that Accutane was great, but that it had very serious and uncomfortable side effects, so I didn't go on it.

Now, I've been on it for 2 months... and the WORST THING I've had since starting it is just some dry lips. I put off taking accutane for a year (hence, an extra year of acne and acne scarring I didn't need on my skin) because of my doctor, until I found out from a friend just how great it was.

Accutane is amazing. My skin doesn't even feel dry, my eyes aren't even itchy, I can see PERFECT at night... dry lips are the only thing I got.
    Accutane is amazing. I also had cystic acne and accutane cleared me up. Its been 2 years since I had accutane and I havnt had one significant pimple on my face since.

The side effects arent bad at all... dry lips, face... The reward is huge.

Wannabebig Member
    I was on accutane from 17-18 yrs of age and it cleared me up until the past year, i am now 22. I think I am going to have to go back on. Hopefully for the last time. I also only experience peeling and dry lips.

I'm just gonna chime in that the accutane side effects seem to be downplayed in this thread, perhaps you guys didn't have bad side effects but I've heard a million others report differently.

If you have issues with acne, first line of action should be a religious approach of 2X daily medication like salicyclic acid or benzoyl peroxide (lower % strength benzoyl if you can find it, usually only neutrogena unless you order online)
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

I find that cleaning my face when I wake up and before I go to bed and washing my pillowcase atleast once a week keeps most acne at bay.

I did this program that was a twice daily (low strength) benzoyl peroxide thing, essentially just wash / moisturize if needed / tons of benzoyl peroxide.

It was a pain because the stuff took a while to soak into your skin so application wasn't fast, but it worked well. Because of how long it took I stopped doing it as regularly, and as soon as I started missing applications and not being religious about 2X/day, I started getting some acne again.

But, I found that it seemed to be more the religious twice a day approach than that specific regimen, I did 2X/day every day with salicylic acid pads (low/gentle strength) and it seemed to work the same but was far easier/quicker to deal with.

Just my 2cents, I was also leaving the typical acne age range as I was beginning this so I'm certainly not positive my results would be typical.

colloidal silver soap will clear up acne pretty quickly.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

?
    never heard of that before..

http://www.nanocyclic.com/MClient.php?D1=S

Worth every penny. Stopped my cystic acne in its tracks. Never had a problem since. The occasional hormonal breakout but nothing like before.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

jesus they claim it does everything huh? Thought colloidal silver had faded away, apparently not!

Combat Infantryman
    I used to go home and do stuff before showering after the gym and had terrible acne. Only washed my bedding when my mom came to visit and stuff. Wash your sheets weekly and scrub your anus immediately after lifting. I find hitting the tanning bed 1-2 days a week in the winter (or being outside/in Iraq) keeps my skin dry and clear as well.
    U.S. Army Infantry
    Eastern Michigan University Eagle

sun helps acne

i dont think lifting should effect it... increased testosterone maybe... but actually sweat is good for killing acne... its salty and it cleans out your pores...
    make sure you wash your hands alot though... especially after happy hour
    5"10 - 146lbs

60yd - 6.5s (on grass w/ football cleats)

god there was so much wrong with that post I don't know how to approach it!

- sun can lead to sunburn which will exacerbate acne
    - your sweat argument doesn't really work logically or practically
    - washing your hands isn't much of an issue as, if you care about acne, you shouldn't just be touching your face anyways