The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Website Programming

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone here were versed in HTML or Java programming and I guess in general what the best course of action is if I want to learn how to program webpages. My friend has started up a website (http://www.CampusGossip.com) and he is currently paying some company that provides the service of maintaining websites but I was considering becoming educated in website programming so that perhaps I could fulfill this position myself. In general it seems like a better idea than what he has going on because I don't feel the programmers he's employing right now really have a stake in seeing that the website does well.

So how do I go about becoming knowledgeable in programming or designing websites?
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

It isn't something that happens over night. It is something that you need to be dedicated to. To start off, I am pretty sure when you say "Java programming" you are referring to Javascript. Which are two totally different things. Javascript is a scripting language.

By the looks of the site, they are using php as the primary programming language. Then of course they are codding using html, css and maybe some javascript "server side programming". I suggest you start by reading up at: http://www.w3schools.com . Start with html/css then move on to php or javascript.

If you want to learn "proper" programming, start with a language like c . After learning it, php will seem like cake. It will introduce you to OOP (object-oriented programming) the proper way.

Look at tutorial sites (pixel2life.com), forums (do a google search for programming forums), etc. Another thing that really helps is to look at other peoples source code and learn from it. Find out what does what.

Design is a whole other aspect. Once again, look at tutorials.

Most importantly, practice, practice and practice some more. I would also suggest getting some books. It's always nice to have a on hand reference.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 10-20-2007 at 04:28 PM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Yeah, it's not like powerlifting where you can learn it in one session with the cute trainer at Bally's.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150 View Post
    Yeah, it's not like powerlifting where you can learn it in one session with the cute trainer at Bally's.

If only it was...
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_dan View Post
    It isn't something that happens over night. It is something that you need to be dedicated to. To start off, I am pretty sure when you say "Java programming" you are referring to Javascript. Which are two totally different things. Javascript is a scripting language.
    JSP and Java Beans, both versions of java, are used for server side programming.
    By the looks of the site, they are using php as the primary programming language. Then of course they are codding using html, css and maybe some javascript "server side programming"
    aka JSP

I suggest you start by reading up at: http://www.w3schools.com . Start with html/css then move on to php or javascript.
    php is a giant cluster**** when your websites start getting big. I'm a believer that ASP or JSP is the way to go.

If you want to learn "proper" programming, start with a language like c . After learning it, php will seem like cake. It will introduce you to OOP (object-oriented programming) the proper way.
    C is quite possibly the worst language you can learn with. There's so many nuances and little things that will compile but shouldn't. Start with Java because it will tell you everything you're doing wrong and is great for OOP. Move to C++ when you understand what you're trying to do and just need to learnt how to express it in a differemt language.

Whichever language you choose to start with, I would highly suggest picking up an introductory book. Not a "in a nutshell" book, something that is several hundred pages with examples.

I would also suggest you don't try to learn server side web programming first (ie PHP, ASP, JSP, etc). It is a variation on traditional programming and once you understand traditional programming it will be much easier to pick up. HTML and CSS are not programming languages and are very easy to get the hang of, so go ahead and learn those while you're picking up another language.

Most importantly, practice, practice and practice some more. I would also suggest getting some books. It's always nice to have a on hand reference.
    Yes, practice is key. www.topcoder.com has an amazing repository of probelms, ranging from very simple to very difficult.

I agree with red, if you haven't ever "coded" anything then start with HTML to get the feel. It's not hard and pretty much anyone with a handbook and a highschool comprehension level should be able to master it no sweats. Then move on into whatever else.

Another recommendation on learning HTML and Javascript first. The W3Schools website is a great resource to learn them. If you want to just stick with web programming, you'd be good with PHP, Ruby on Rails, or some other web language. For your friend's website, you really don't need to go with true server side programming like J2EE or C#. The learning curve is steeper and development time is going to be longer. But if you want to make some sort of career out of this, they'd be good skills to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSpikeyThing View Post
    b
    I would also suggest you don't try to learn server side web programming first (ie PHP, ASP, JSP, etc). It is a variation on traditional programming and once you understand traditional programming it will be much easier to pick up. HTML and CSS are not programming languages and are very easy to get the hang of, so go ahead and learn those while you're picking up another language.
    I agree. Learn HTML first. It's just a formatting language. The simple basics of it can be learned in a few minutes. Most everything is a formatting attribute that gets turned on and off with tags, atleast, as I said, in the basics. You can learn the ins-and-outs of HTML by playing with it. Make pages. Practice with images and tables. Try to accomplish things. Take tutorials. You will find that once you grasped the basics, everything else is similar to it.

go for PHP (or whatever you end up chosing) only after you really got your feet wet with HTML
    'In order to alter the inertial mass of weights, you must become one with them, like a machine, the totality of your motion is as one'