The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Proper hormone levels while training

First of all, I'm a 100% natural lifetime lifter.

I know next to nothing about steroids and the body's ability to make them. What levels are considered normal for testosterone and other steroids/etc related to muscle development?

Also, no one seems to do this but does it make sense to get a test for these values at least once? If they were low or high you could fix something to get them where you wanted? If they are too high you might fail a drug test at a pl meet. I've heard some people have naturally higher levels... but I don't know what the effect of these levels are on training and drug testing.

Obviously I'm not quite clear on what goes on here. The reason I ask these questions is because I'm concerned that my levels might be too high. I've experienced people failing tests as well and being blacklisted despite being clean. It seems that a failed drug test is considered by most as 100% proof of cheating and I don't want to be put in that situation.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First of all, I'm a 100% natural lifetime lifter.

I know next to nothing about steroids and the body's ability to make them. What levels are considered normal for testosterone and other steroids/etc related to muscle development?
    Interesting, a few days have passed since you posted this question and still no response. Let's see if I can help.

Adult reference range:

Total Test:

Male:

19-50 years - 280-1070 ng/dl
    50-80 years - 200-700 ng/dl

(ng/dl = nanograms per deciliter)

The optimal range is 500-827 ng/dl

Free Test:

Male:

20-29 years - 9.3-26.5 pg/ml

(pg/ml = picograms per milliliter)

The average daily production for males in your age range is 10mg. As you probably already knew, an optimal testosterone level or range is beneficial for the actualization of your bodybuilding goals.

Also, no one seems to do this but does it make sense to get a test for these values at least once?
    Not necessarily. From personal experience, I get a full blood test twice a year. Expensive? Yes. Insurance pay? In some instances. Worth the money? Absolutely.

If they were low or high you could fix something to get them where you wanted? If they are too high you might fail a drug test at a pl meet. I've heard some people have naturally higher levels... but I don't know what the effect of these levels are on training and drug testing.
    Yes, assistance could be provided (preferably by an M.D.) to adjust your testosterone level if it was not within the expected results for your goals.

Some people do have naturally higher levels. You, for example, are blessed to be in your early 20's. On the average, 20 something males have a naturally high testosterone level.

If you haven't manipulated your own testosterone level, you should be fine with your concern about drug testing for competition or, and more importantly, your future health.

Obviously I'm not quite clear on what goes on here. The reason I ask these questions is because I'm concerned that my levels might be too high. I've experienced people failing tests as well and being blacklisted despite being clean. It seems that a failed drug test is considered by most as 100% proof of cheating and I don't want to be put in that situation.
    Before I add anything else, I want you to get a full blood test. This can be completed by your general family practitioner that you see for all other health problems. Besides your testosterone level, there are many more results you receive about your entire body. That being said, when (and if) you do get your blood test, you will need to specify to your physician that you want both your Total and Free Testosterone level results.

Best,
    ADT

P.S. No need to ask for your SHBG, Estrogen, DHEA-S, or DHT levels yet. Blood tests are sometimes expensive. Some labs charge more for specific tests requested.
    Last edited by ADT; 10-23-2007 at 08:34 PM.
    According to Purdue University and PubMed, I am classified as an individual who subjects himself to "chronic peanut ingestion and consumption".

"I love this forum. Where else can you ask about peanuts and get a response from someone with Mr. F'ing Peanut as his avatar!? Oh hells yes." - Rock Steady

"Man. I love it when Mr. Peanut posts in my journal. Perhaps because I feel we are kindred spirits with my serious peanut addiction." - Guido

"I love your posts. Brightens my day every time." - theJamAbides

Quote Originally Posted by redFury View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing the validity of this. There have been and will continue to be individuals that get away with steriods in all kinds of tested divisions. Generally, it's just the dumb ones that get caught.

I would imagine though that if you could supply proper evidence presented by a doctor it wouldn't be an issue, but then again all kinds of things can be forged. I'm not pointing a finger and since I know nothing about the validity of tests or really the protocol of them, I can't really offer anything of substance except doubt.
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    I'd be interested in hearing the validity of this. There have been and will continue to be individuals that get away with steriods in all kinds of tested divisions. Generally, it's just the dumb ones that get caught.

I would imagine though that if you could supply proper evidence presented by a doctor it wouldn't be an issue, but then again all kinds of things can be forged. I'm not pointing a finger and since I know nothing about the validity of tests or really the protocol of them, I can't really offer anything of substance except doubt.
    Most of the failures have been for Nandrolone metabolite... which from all I read is a sketchy thing thing to test for. Some people have different levels, and according to med studies done recently it might depend on protein intake and exercise what levels you have. Obviously its jsut the metabolized form and not the actual drug... one of the major feds has their blacklist online and you can see the large number of nandrolone cases. Maybe I have no reason to be worried about this, but it kinda scares me that once you fail you're screwed, regardless of how clean you are.

ADT... thanks for the info. I will try and see if my student med insurance will pay for the tests. I would like to know if these numbers are above average for my own sake.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre