The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This may start an argument, but..........(it's about deadlifts)

In addition to that "back exercises" thread, I think weighted pull-ups are a better back exercise then deadlifts. Don't get me wrong, deadlifts are the s***, and I love them, but I mostly feel them in my hamstrings, the back of my traps, my lower back, and my quads. Deadlifts are a great overall mass builder, but as for a primary upper back exercise though, weighted pull-ups definately are my #1 exercise. I do a few sets with a 25 lb or 45 lb weight attached, then finish by doing a few bodyweight sets to failure, and holy s*** do I feel it in my back the next day especially my lats and mid-upper back. I do it all for my back, because that's my #1 favorite body part to work, but weighted pull-ups take the cake.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If you can pull an ass ton of weight, you'll have a large back. While some other lifts may hit portions of your back, they should fall behind DLs as far as priority. Show me a guy who pulls impressive weight, and I'll show you an impressive back 99.9% of the time.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    If you can pull an ass ton of weight, you'll have a large back. While some other lifts may hit portions of your back, they should fall behind DLs as far as priority. Show me a guy who pulls impressive weight, and I'll show you an impressive back 99.9% of the time.
    No you mean, 99.999999999999999% of the time.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5

Rack pulls pwn deadlifts for back development.

For me, deadlifts hit the whole lower portion of my back the most. But I agree with the OP, if you are talking about just lats and upper back, pullups > deads

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

I hear a lot about these rack pulls, I have no idea what they are. I'm gonna look those son of a b****es up.

But deads + heavy, weighted pull-ups = huge back.

Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    Rack pulls pwn deadlifts for back development.

Absolutely.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

I just googled rack pulls. So a rack pull is just a normal deadlift, but with the bar starting higher up off the ground to allow for more weight? And that supposedly builds your back more then conventional deadlifts?

Yeah, that's what it seems like to me. I checked out a video on Youtube:

Video

I also like the guy over there doing those crappy half-ish squats
    Last edited by berfles; 10-15-2007 at 02:28 PM.

Gym PRs: 365/240/440=1045

People need to quit ****ing asking what they need to do, exercise wise, until they reinforce their technique - Dave Tate

The never-ending pursuit of becoming Strong(er) - My Westside journal

Basically, rack pulls are just deadlifts but you shorten the ROM to make it easier so you can do more weight. With any other exercise, this is called cheating. But with deadlifts, this is rack pulls!!!!

Personally I focus on the complete lift, because I want my entire lift to increase, not just half of it.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

"Gaining weight and having bigger body will make you look great on any clothing. Men with strong body are very attractive to women. General people tend to admire big muscle too." -mbijay

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

Holy crap, this guy has sick shoulders

Quote Originally Posted by Phenom View Post
    Basically, rack pulls are just deadlifts but you shorten the ROM to make it easier so you can do more weight. With any other exercise, this is called cheating. But with deadlifts, this is rack pulls!!!!

Personally I focus on the complete lift, because I want my entire lift to increase, not just half of it.
    LOL wait until you've been lifting a bit longer before you hold judgment on what's cheating and what's not.

Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    In addition to that "back exercises" thread, I think weighted pull-ups are a better back exercise then deadlifts. Don't get me wrong, deadlifts are the s***, and I love them, but I mostly feel them in my hamstrings, the back of my traps, my lower back, and my quads. Deadlifts are a great overall mass builder, but as for a primary upper back exercise though, weighted pull-ups definately are my #1 exercise. I do a few sets with a 25 lb or 45 lb weight attached, then finish by doing a few bodyweight sets to failure, and holy s*** do I feel it in my back the next day especially my lats and mid-upper back. I do it all for my back, because that's my #1 favorite body part to work, but weighted pull-ups take the cake.
    I agree.

LOL wait until you've been lifting a bit longer before you hold judgment on what's cheating and what's not.
    People can have their opinion based on whatever they want and cheating is a very broad term so you pretty much have to come up with whatever defenition you have. I think rack pulls are a good way to work on improving your deadlift. But it's still a partial range of motion movement that many people do to stroke their own ego.
    Last edited by smalls; 10-15-2007 at 08:12 PM.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    But it's still a partial range of motion movement that many people do to stroke their own ego.

I don't disagree with that. The OP made it sound as though the rack pull was nothing more than a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyPitbull View Post

Holy crap, this guy has sick shoulders
    Wuz thinkin da same thing, yo.

Reminds me of myself as a youth.

I once used chalk... lol

(seriously, I was thinking the same thing about the delts...)
    Last edited by BG5150; 10-15-2007 at 10:38 PM.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Bench pressing but stoping 8 inches from your chest instead of going all the way down...cheating

Doing pullups and not pulling yourself all the way up...cheating

Squating without even hitting parallel...cheating

Deadlifting but starting with the bar above your knees...not cheating?

Since you're a whole two years older and wiser than me, and I lack all this experience that you seem to have, maybe you can clear up some of my confusion.

S(atg) - B - DL
    375 - 335 - 515

I wouldn't say that rack pulls are cheating, nor would I say that squatting only 1/2 way is cheating either. These are ways of working on certain parts of the full range of motion. You could deadlift off a box with slightly lighter weight to help improve the initial lift part of a deadlift, or you could do rack pulls with much heavier weight to help strengthen the last part of a full deadlifts ROM. Same thing for squats - you could do squats either a.) through the full ROM, b.) only from the down position, parallel, to 1/2 way up with lighter weight, or c.) only go 1/2 way down and then back up again with heavier weight (aka cheating). But both 'b' and 'c' can help 'a' out by strengthening weak points within the full ROM

So doing rack pulls with 405 lbs. may very well help increase your complete deadlift from 315 lbs. to 335 lbs rather then by just doing deadlifts alone.

<3's WBB
    Quote Originally Posted by brihead301 View Post
    I wouldn't say that rack pulls are cheating, nor would I say that squatting only 1/2 way is cheating either.
    For purposes of calculating 1RM, its cheating. If someone says their max bench is 500lbs but they're not bringing the weight down, then their max bench isn't 500lbs. If you are doing pullups and not reaching the bar each time, its cheating. Etc, etc.

Training a certain part of your ROM, isn't cheating.
    21, Male, 5' 10", Cutting
    Starting weight: 228lbs. Currently (05/01/08): 168.2lbs (59.8 lost)
    Alright! I'm done cutting for now. It's been a long ride, I went from obese to average. Now to put some muscle on, then cut again down the road.

Bench pressing but stoping 8 inches from your chest instead of going all the way down...cheating

Since you're a whole two years older and wiser than me, and I lack all this experience that you seem to have, maybe you can clear up some of my confusion.
    I donít consider it cheating unless someone is claiming a max base off their partial lift. Partial squatting is a good way to get used to heavy weight.

When you guys say for lats, what grip variation do you guys do? When I do wide grip overhand pullups I feel it in my shoulders a lot and not really my lats as much. Should I bring my grips in?
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post

I'd say that that guy likes pin pulls.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    When you guys say for lats, what grip variation do you guys do? When I do wide grip overhand pullups I feel it in my shoulders a lot and not really my lats as much. Should I bring my grips in?
    You don't really have to go that wide on pull-ups to work the s*** out of your lats. Slightly wider then shoulder with will do the trick. Also, if you can, add weight. That really works them.

It depends on the justification for the lift. You can't say that if the intent is to work the top end. For benching, the triceps are smaller than the chest, hence weaker. So the top end most people will stall towards the top or right off the chest where the triceps kick in. Doing pin presses or board presses are good to overload the triceps.

Same goes for rack pulls for the deadlift. I'm not weak off the floor. I'm weak at lockout. I do rack pulls to fix that. It helps with grip and I can work on the transition without burning myself out by doing something I can already do.

Is doing something to help the main lift (which will help in the long run) cheating?
    What is elite?
    "Those who work the hardest often complain the least." -anonymous
    Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.

I never have done rackpulls and I was able to increase my deadlift over 350lbs (45lbs to 400+lbs) in a little over a year. Don't believe the hype is what I say. Also, I am going for real life functional situational strength. That is why I don't use belts, I don't warm up, and why I am not going to practice rack pulls which is basically having the deadlift bar a little higher so you don't use your whole range of motion. I am not saying rackpulls is cheating, it is just that when I plan to lift the side of a car in a few years, the car isn't going to be lifted a foot off the ground already. Different goals for different people.

Last edited by -Superman-; 10-16-2007 at 09:54 AM.
    From 155 lbs to 200 lbs (PICS/VIDS INCLUDED)

Height: 6'0"; BW: 202lbs; Age: 24; BF: ~11%
    155lbs [07-01-06] 176lbs [09-14-06] 179lbs [09-21-06] 182lbs [10-02-06] 184lbs [10-18-06] 186lbs [10-23-06] 187lbs [11-08-06] 189lbs [11-19-06] 190lbs [11-21-06] 191lbs [12-21-06] 194lbs [12-31-06]

Bench: 250lbs; Squat: 350lbs lbs; Deadlift: 430 lbs

Military: 111lbsx8; Dips: BWx30; Pullups: BWx10; WChestP: 360lbsx7; 45LegP: 470lbsx20; C Raise: 360lbs; BB Curl: 105lbsx3; Lat Pull: 195lbsx5