Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to get a girl to understand lifting?

How to get a girl to understand lifting?

I know far to many girls who don't understand the way working out works. They tell me I want to get toned but then they jump on a tread mill and run for a hour and won't touch a single weight then go home and eat a 200 calorie dinner. I could understand this if the girl wanted to lose weight but the ones I am talking about are the ones that barely weigh 100 if even that. They even admit I don't really want to lose weight I just want to get more defined. How do you talk to a girl and make them understand toning and definition does not come from the treadmill it comes from the lifting?
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Show them pictures of Olympic gymnasts. They are put through incredible physical feats and have even more incredible bodies. Use that argument that resistance training can give those results.

If she says that gymnasts arent the same as weightlifters just say the principle is the same.

Good idea, My girlfriend actually just showed me a book she had on figure skating workout routines. It looked horrible more squats and deadlifts then I could even count. And figure skaters don't look buff they just look defined.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    Good idea, My girlfriend actually just showed me a book she had on figure skating workout routines. It looked horrible more squats and deadlifts then I could even count. And figure skaters don't look buff they just look defined.
    A routine of squats and deadlifts would rock lol.

Ok nevermind this girl said that female figure skaters and gymnists were to muscular and looked gross. She is a lost cause I guess she will just do cardio and puke up her food for the rest of her life.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

body weight exercises maybe. . . alot of people have the idea that lifting weights = getting bulky all the sudden. good luck changing that.

... weightlifting forever leetuck's Avatar
    I wouldn't waste your time with explaining it to her mate. A lot of women are ignorant to what their bodies actually require and think that if they eat nothing and do loads of cardio they will get an amazing body.

I explained everything to my partner about 1000000 times before, she knows I'm correct yet she still didn't take my advice. Anyway, I gave up trying to help her and she finally decided to start eating MORE food. Eating more food, doing some cardio and weights once a week she has lost 3lbs in 2 weeks. When she found out she lost weight she looked at me as to say "it must have been magic".
    Lee

Height: 6ft 4
    Current weight: 226 lbs

The only woman I ever persuaded to lift heavy was my mom. :P

I am not telling her to lift heavy. I was thinking squats with just body weight or dumbells. This isn't my partner just a good friend. I am actually blessed with a partner that used to be a figure skater and has better form when squatting and doing deadlifts then I do. She also knows the importance of a good diet. We eat the same foods. Only difference is I eat 5 big meals a day when she only eats 3.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

Quote Originally Posted by j8715 View Post
    body weight exercises maybe. . . alot of people have the idea that lifting weights = getting bulky all the sudden. good luck changing that.
    I agree I think seeing female body builders on TV is what they think they will become if they lift weights. No matter how many times I tell them its testostone injections that are getting them that big, not to mention usually other injections.
    Age 24
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300

"Get a girl to understand..."

Does not compute.

Instead of telling her she should do it a certain way (girls hate that), you should do what you want her to do and ask her to help you do it. If that makes any sense. She'll be much more motivated to get "toned" if she thinks it's helping you out when it reality it's helping you both.
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

BAPC - League City, TX UHCougar05's Avatar
    You can try and persuade her all you want, but until she wants to do it, it's all falling on deaf ears.
    Chris Hartschuh

My Team's Youtube Videos

http://www.thewarehousegym.net/

Meet PRs: 745/465/570 APF Class I @275
    Gym PRs: 705/475/555

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I'm going to use my 10000th post to say that you can't make a woman understand anything she doesn't want to understand.

Women are evil. (except for a couple )
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Women are evil. (except for a couple )

ugh...i just dont even bring it up to their attention anymore, just take her to they gym and make her do it. If she wont make her feel bad. Emotion>logic i swear!
    My journal
    Goal(Current):
    400(335) Bench Press
    600(520x3 2xBW) Dead Lift
    500(495x1) ATG Squat
    Total: 1500(1350)
    365 Front Squat
    consistency and intensity.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    That's because most women are incapable of using logic.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

I like how women think they're magically going to get "all bulky" by curling a 10 pound pink dumbbell. You don't get bulky by accident, damn it, why is that so hard to understand?! >
    Last edited by Dgro; 01-29-2008 at 07:39 PM.
    ::::::::::::::::::::Updated 9-16-11::::::::::::::::::::
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 408 Squat Max @ 370
    CG Bench 1x7 @ 225 Power Clean Max @ 235
    W Chinups 3x10 @ +50 Dips 1x5 @ +115

Height - 6'3 Weight - 194lbs Age - 21

"I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end." - Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by Dgro View Post
    I like how women think they're magically going to get "all bulky" by curling a 10 pound pink dumbbell. You don't get bulky by accident, damn it, why is that so hard to understand?! >
    Not just women, it's with everybody. So many people assume it is easy to get there but what they don't understand is the amount of their input is going to equal to their output.

The only way to get something in life is when you want it badly, and actually work toward your goal. It doesn't happen by an accident.
    Last edited by MPB; 01-29-2008 at 07:48 PM.

If youve already tried showing her your way and she still wont come around..then dont bother. Youll end up putting a void between the two of you.

Instead, just support her in what she does and go from there. Im sure she would rather have a supportive boyfriend over an argumentive one that always has to be right. At least thats how she will see it
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

If youve already tried showing her your way and she still wont come around..then dont bother. Youll end up putting a void between the two of you.

Some get it, some don't. Luckily I found one that didn't need any convincing and wanted to come to the gym to squat and deadlift all on her own.

If you are trying to get a women interested in lifting, and don't know what to say, show them this article:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=61

and this one:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=41

By the way, www.stumptuous.com is all-around a great site. I highly recommend it.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Guido, those are really well written articles to get a female geared toward free weight training. It helps having the writer come from a female perspective. Know a few gals who'll need to be seeing these.
    "Fine, if I'm not allowed to light it on fire, can my imaginary friend?"

Most women are fookin' stoopid when it comes to lifting. It's true.
    BRAINS.BEAUTY.BRAWN. www.brainsbeautybrawn.blogspot.com
    WILL SQUAT FOR FOOD.
    "It's not Science - it's RESULTS" - Built
    235 Dead Lift........Height: 5'7"
    125 Bench............Weight: 148 lbs
    200 Squat............Age: 33 yrs. old.
    ----------
    560 Total.............Gunning for 700 this year (while on a cut-and NOT using RESULTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Brad263 View Post
    Ok nevermind this girl said that female figure skaters and gymnists were to muscular and looked gross. She is a lost cause I guess she will just do cardio and puke up her food for the rest of her life.
    Have you tired explaining the science behind what we do?

Once I layed things out for my GF and explained why things happen, why it is better to do this and that, and why she actually needs to eat more, she latched on.

I have never been asked tougher questions than by her. Not on here, not in the gym.

I think if you give her even a rudimentary explanation of why weight training helps, and throw some science in there (doesn't have to be a biology book) she might start to understand it more.

I just worked with mine recently on squats, bench, and deads with a bar (as opposed to DBs) and her form is better than 99% of the guys in there.

She just maxed at 135 on deads Monday, haha.

Just explain things, be patient, show understanding, and show that you care.

If she can't give the same back, then your decision becomes easier.
    Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 01-30-2008 at 05:38 PM.