Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is the ability to have six-pack genetic?

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeYield View Post
    Songsangnim, Scarz had the right of it. I wasn't talking about how they looked, just the fact that they're there and shedding the fat. If we could shape muscle we'd all have extremely large upper pecs and Valentino biceps.

Oh I agree with you and Scarz, I was just clarifying. The OP asked if a six-pack was genetic and while the ability to show abs does come with a low bodyfat% it doesn't mean one will have six clearly visible muscles in the stomach once their bodyfat drops to a low enough level.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    ...while the ability to show abs does come with a low bodyfat% it doesn't mean one will have six clearly visible muscles in the stomach once their bodyfat drops to a low enough level.
    So how developed do one's abs have to be? That is a general question, I know. But that's how I intended it, so you could have plenty of room to answer how you see fit. Furthermore, how intense must the training be? Will a moderate amount of crunches every other day suffice? Or must there be intense, weighted exercise? I am not going to define "moderate" or "intense" I will let you(or whoever) do that.

edit:
    The more I look at some of those really low bf pics, the more it reminds of the portrayal of Rogue's powers in the X-men movies when she touches someone.
    lol I was going to say something else too along those lines, but I will refrain.
    Last edited by Sumorai; 10-24-2007 at 11:31 PM.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    So how developed do one's abs have to be? That is a general question, I know. But that's how I intended it, so you could have plenty of room to answer how you see fit. Furthermore, how intense must the training be? Will a moderate amount of crunches every other day suffice? Or must there be intense, weighted exercise? I am not going to define "moderate" or "intense" I will let you(or whoever) do that.

edit:
    The more I look at some of those really low bf pics, the more it reminds of the portrayal of Rogue's powers in the X-men movies when she touches someone.
    lol I was going to say something else too along those lines, but I will refrain.
    Well you need low BF% to begin with. It doesn't matter how developed your abs are, you can not see them if they are hidden under a blanket of flab.

Secondly your abs are a muscle like every other muscle no? Train them the same way as you train other muscles. Now once you develop your abs whether you have a 4 pack or six pack or eight pack...THAT part is due to genetics. As has already been said in this thread, and as I and Messers Scarz, HomeYield and Belial (to name just a few) have stated many times (thinks with horror-tinged nostalgia of the numberous upper chest threads) you can't shape muscle.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 10-25-2007 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Songsangnim View Post
    Well you need low BF% to begin with. It doesn't matter how developed your abs are, you can not see them if they are hidden under a blanket of flab.
    yep

Now once you develop your abs whether you have a 4 pack or six pack or eight pack...THAT part is due to genetics.
    Cool. I would be satisfied with any of the above. I will even be glad when I lose enough fat to see my wang. I would like to drop my bf down low so my wang will look (relatively) huge and veiny.

As has already been said in this thread, and as I and Messers Scarz, HomeYield and Belial (to name just a few) have stated many times (thinks with horror-tinged nostalgia of the numberous upper chest threads) you can't shape muscle.
    I can't shape my abs? Well ****.....
    I was wanting to go for a star shape on the left upper ab, a square, on the right upper, an octagon on the left lower, and a triangle on the right lower.
    That's if I was predestined for a four pack. With a six pack, man I could into to all types of polygons. Needless to say, an eight pack would get even better. But, those are just dreams now thanks to you bursting my bubble and telling me I can't shape my muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock View Post
    You probably weren't truly at 6%. I measured 8.7% on a 3 site a couple of years ago and I wasn't anywhere close.
    I was measurd with calipers by 3 different people, using both analog readings and the scale on the calipers. Then tried the electrical implulse readings a few times through out the day and all came out the same. I don't think I was 6 but after 8-10 different measurements over a few days they all came out the same. I eventually gave up, but I never understood the discrepency between the readings and what i saw in the mirror
    Sarvamangalam!

Quote Originally Posted by ZenMonkey View Post
    I was measurd with calipers by 3 different people, using both analog readings and the scale on the calipers. Then tried the electrical implulse readings a few times through out the day and all came out the same. I don't think I was 6 but after 8-10 different measurements over a few days they all came out the same. I eventually gave up, but I never understood the discrepency between the readings and what i saw in the mirror
    Calipers have a measurement error built in, then they also have an error that shows more muscled individuals as leaner than they really are. So you have to take that into account. The mirror is what truly matters anyway, like the way you look and forget about the rest.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST