The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Lifting weights to lose fat?

I just got a trainer at my gym, I have 15% body fat, and I was told if I want to be around 7-8% i need to weight train and do cardio, not just cardio. So im going to take in about 1800 calories a day and alot of protein. But do you think this will work? I was told the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, I'm not looking to be huge, i just want some muscle but mostly to lose fat.(I have no upper body strength at all, I just bench pressed for the first time yesterday i maxed at like 50 lbs)

I lost a ton of weight doing a lot of cardio and eating 1400 calories a day, but I was told I probably lost a lot of muscle too. So I'm thinking 1800, weight lifting and a lot of cardio and a year or so and I might reach 7-8% body fat?
    Last edited by bobshotme; 10-25-2007 at 01:23 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

the main points of losing fat are cardio and diet. You are doing that right but like your trainer says you should lift to or eventually you will look skinny and not toned. To build muscle your body needs a excess of calories. You already have that so the hardest part of gaining muscle should be easier for you. Look up threads on cutting as this is what you want to do right now.
    Age 24
    Weight 180lbs Goal 200lbs by 06/01/08
    Height 6'1"
    Journal
    Bench 150x6 Goal 200
    Squats 165x5 Goal 250
    Deadlift 205x6 Goal 300
    "Speed has never killed anyone, it's suddenly becoming stationary that will get you."

Quote Originally Posted by bobshotme View Post
    I just got a trainer at my gym, I have 15% body fat, and I was told if I want to be around 7-8% i need to weight train and do cardio, not just cardio. So im going to take in about 1800 calories a day and alot of protein. But do you think this will work? I was told the more muscle you have the more calories you burn, I'm not looking to be huge, i just want some muscle but mostly to lose fat.(I have no upper body strength at all, I just bench pressed for the first time yesterday i maxed at like 50 lbs)

I lost a ton of weight doing a lot of cardio and eating 1400 calories a day, but I was told I probably lost a lot of muscle too. So I'm thinking 1800, weight lifting and a lot of cardio and a year or so and I might reach 7-8% body fat?
    Yes, more muscle=more calories burned. But if you are eating far below your caloric needs, you wont put yourself in a position to build muscle. Instead, your body will repair and retain LBM at the expense of body fat stores. Lifting weights, however, does increase your metabolism after training. This is a good thing for caloric expenditure

The main thing with lifting weights is like I said above. Repair and retain the LBM you have. The body fat falls off while you keep your muscle. Your body has no choice but to retain LBM at the expense of body fat provided you keep your intensity at the gym. Intensity implies keeping the weight on the bar.

Cardio-wise, you simply burn extra calories. You can do this, or just consume less. HIIT is much like weights in that it can increase your metabolism after the workout. If you do moderate paced cardio, you need to keep it up for at least 20 minutes for triglycerides to start breaking down. Some studies show that cardio targets abdominal fat but in order for this to occur, youll need to do at least 45-60 minutes 5 days a week.

You dont even have to do cardio. Its really up to you. I personally feel activity like this helps though. I enjoy doing moderate paced cardio as I noted above. If you replace the calories afterwards, it can even help staying leaner when you bulk since this type of activity uses bodyfat as fuel.

But again, its up to you.

With all this said, it might be helpful to get a glimpse at your routine.
    First Bulk pics VS Starting pics, take a look!! http://www.wannabebigforums.com/show...=1#post1616109

Progress pics of a cut using bodyweight only movements http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/sho...45#post2405745

Generally, if you read a piece of advice on the internet, assume it's wrong until proven otherwise. This applies especially to "conventional wisdom". -Belial

I was told the more muscle you have the more calories you burn,
    That is true.

I'm not looking to be huge, i just want some muscle but mostly to lose fat.
    From what I understand, as a general rule, you cannot put on muscle mass at the same time you lose body fat. When you gain muscle mass, you will most likely put on body fat as well. If you are decreasing body fat, you will most likely lose *some* muscle mass too. But the muscle loss can be minimized with the correct diet and training routine.

I lost a ton of weight doing a lot of cardio and eating 1400 calories a day, but I was told I probably lost a lot of muscle too.
    I am guessing that you did indeed lose significant muscle mass since you can only bench 50lbs.

So I'm thinking 1800, weight lifting and a lot of cardio and a year or so and I might reach 7-8% body fat?
    I have no idea man. You should post more information about yourself though. Post your height and weight in particular. I still won't be able to help you though, but someone else may be able to.

***DISCLAIMER*** : Nothing I say is intended to be medical advice. I am not a health professional. Consult your physician.

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumorai View Post
    That is true.

From what I understand, as a general rule, you cannot put on muscle mass at the same time you lose body fat. When you gain muscle mass, you will most likely put on body fat as well. If you are decreasing body fat, you will most likely lose *some* muscle mass too. But the muscle loss can be minimized with the correct diet and training routine.

I am guessing that you did indeed lose significant muscle mass since you can only bench 50lbs.

I have no idea man. You should post more information about yourself though. Post your height and weight in particular. I still won't be able to help you though, but someone else may be able to.

***DISCLAIMER*** : Nothing I say is intended to be medical advice. I am not a health professional. Consult your physician.

Ok, I'm 5'5'' and 132 Lbs. A year ago I was 184 Lbs.

Wannabebig New Member
    That's a huge weight loss. Congratulations!

I'm 5'4" 140lbs and I wish I weighed as much as you.

Weight lifting and HIIT in general will help you lose weight a lot faster than steady state cardio. This has been talked about a lot on these forums and is well documented.

My suggestion is that you should want to be in good physical shape. That means having some strength along with looking "fit". Benching 50 lbs is a starting point, but clearly shows that you are very lacking in that dept. Get your levels up to benching your bw, squatting 1.25x bw and deadlifting 1.5xbw... which would be a decent fitness level.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

That's how I've been losing most of my weight...lifting weights. I've been lifting heavy the last 5 months and been on a calorie deficit. Went from 196 to 178. Losing weight/fat but I've been gaining strength (newbie gains). I look much more "toned" than before. The only cardio I do is I play soccer - a game once a week. Since I'm fairly new to weight lifting, I'm able to increase my lifts every week while cutting.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the help. It sounds like this is the right way to go. I have one more question though; I'm worried about having extra skin, right now i dont but i still have about 15-20 lbs of fat to lose, so will gaining muscle help to fill in the extra skin? If not im screwed, because I would assume if i lose like 60-70 lbs that I would have at least some extra skin.

More so im just worried about extra skin on my face, my cheeks are still chubby and i hope they will go down and not leave extra skin.