Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OPINIONS On My New Program...

QUESTION: With one-arm cable rows should I do them (1) seated or standing? (2) from the cable crossover station? (3) where should the cable be? Waist level if I do them standing?

Originally posted by MonStar1023
    I am still looking for a GOOD bicep superset! Like a freeweight exercise and then a cable exercise. Maybe CG BB preachers and then standing cable curls or rope cable curls. Or something. I dont know.

I used to do a superset for biceps:

cable-rope curl.
    and
    seated ez-bar curl

seated ez-bar curl? Huh? How do you do a bicep curl seated? You would have no ROM at all bro. I am thinking maybe BB preachers and cable-rope curl. I am wondering with the cable rope curls did you twist your wrists so your palms were facing up or did you keep your palms facing one another?

lol here Monstar:

"1- chest/triceps
    2- legs
    3- rest
    4- back/biceps
    5- delts/traps
    6- rest
    7- rest

EDIT: Switched up Days 5 & 6. Hopefully this will be better giving my delts 2 full days rest before hitting them on chest/tri day."

**Looks fine.

"chest/triceps
    weighted dips 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    pec-deck flyes 8/10
    flat DB presses 6/8

lying BB ext. 2 sets 6/8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable pressdowns 8
    one-arm DB overhead ext. 8"

**I've never been a big fan of supersets, they seem to slow progress on your important lifts. Fatigue really shouldn't be your goal in training, supersets/pre-exhuast and that stuff give you a false sense of stimulation. Progress is what matters, on the big lifts. I'd just go something like this:

Weighted Dips-2x4-8, 1x8-12
    Flye-2x8-10
    Lying BB extention-3x6-8

You could add your flat DB presses if ya want...but it probably won't be neccessary. Check your progress.

"legs
    leg presses 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    leg ext. 8/10
    smith-machine/Zercher/front squats 6/8

seated leg curls 1 set 8

2 supersets:
    seated calf raises 15
    leg press calf raises 15"

**Replace leg presses with squats, I didn't read this whole thread so if there is a good reason for not squatting then ignore me here. Again I don't like supersets, unless your trying to save time or maybe (only if absolutely neccessary) to eliminate a weak link. Death to the smith machine. It'd be better to strengthen that weak link, though. So I'd do something like:

Squat-2x4-8, 1x8-12
    Leg Ext-2x8-10
    Front squats (if ya want)-2x6-8
    Leg Curl-2x8-10
    Calf Raise-2x8-10

"back/biceps/forearms
    curl-grip chins 2 sets 6/8

1 superset:
    DB pullovers 8
    v-bar pulldowns 8

bentover v-bar rows 2 sets 6/8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable pulls 8
    one-arm DB rows 8

standing BB curls 2 sets 6/8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable curls 8/10
    concentration curls 8/10

2 supersets:
    standing reverse BB curls 8/10
    wrist-roller (failure)"

**I don't feel like repeating myself. I don't like cable exercises, cuz they emphasize the "peak contracted" state...same with concentration curls. I'd go:

Chins-2x4-8, 1x8-12
    Barbell Row (with back support)-3x6-8
    Pull-over (if ya want)-2x8-12
    Barbell Curl-2x6-8
    Grip work-1x30 secs, 1x 60 secs.

"delts/traps/abs
    seated BTN presses 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    one-arm cable side-laterals 8/10
    one-arm DB side-laterals 8/10

2 supersets:
    DB shrugs 6/8
    close-grip cable upright rows 8/10"

**BTN presses = poo. Do them in the front. I hate cable exercises again. I'd do:

OH press to the front-2x4-8, 1x8-12
    Upright Row w/ BB-2x6-8
    Side laterals (if ya must)-1-2x6-8
    Shrug-2x10

There you go monstar....if you reply with something to the effect of "Really bro? wait what's bro mean? wait whats wait mean?" and so on....I'll hire someone to kick your ass.

Thanks Cack. Hehe. Yeah I dont have a squat rack at my f*cking gym. Pathetic I know. Only a leg press and a smith-machine. And I CAN do Zerchers. Although from what I understand theyre closer to deads than squats. I have always achieved good results with SSs.

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    Just run the rack with alternating DB curls. Or stripsets with BB curls.
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

Hey Mon! Overall, I like this program. It is somewhat Mentzer like, but with some extra volume. I like the 2 day on, 1 day off, 2 on, 2 off split. This is what I follow most of the year. I think your rep ranges are good, as you will attack and recruit most of your fiber types this way. As for your bodypart groupings, I would do it differently, but that is more or less an individual thing. When experimenting with same bodypart supersets, it often takes a few workouts to find out which one's work best. Some will click right away and some just won't feel right. Be flexible and in a few weeks you will get it down pat. Personally, I would like to see you use pre-exaust supersets, using an isolation movement followed by a compound movement....laterals/military press...flyes/bench press...leg curls/stiff legs...etc.

Give this program a good 12 weeks before switching to something more conventional.

If you need me to answer something more specific, let me know.

gopro-
    Thanks a lot for the reply bro. Ill be keeping a journal of my training along with my diet and supps in the Online Journals Board. I just started it last night you can check it out if you like and lemme know what you think. Just reply in the journal.

Yeah I am trying to optimize the pre-exaust technique too. Ill just see how things go.

Another thing that I wanted to ask you was what you thought of supersetting Dynamic BB Shrugs with DB Shrugs?

You dont think that my volume is excessive with the SSs do you? Because it can always be lowered..
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-10-2002 at 01:30 PM.

I was thinking and I am probably just going to stick with this routine until I feel like I am not progressing. And even at that point I might just change up the exercises that I am supersetting ya know? The possibilities with this type of program are endless. Why dont you care for the split, can you recommend one?

Because I too have my pet peeves about splits.. hehe.

DaCypher-
    Hey thanks for the great reply bro. Definitely appreciate it. I am going to go through here and kind explain and maybe change some things on my program.

chest/triceps
    weighted dips 2 sets 6/8

... I have always liked weighted dips as a strength guage. I know that weight flucuates but not only do I want to use it as a guage, I want it to be my primary mass builder. I feel like dips are more effective, for me at least, than flat DB presses. After an intense set of dips I can barely flex my pecs, after an intense set of flat DB presses, my rotator cuffs and front delts seem beat up. Who knows.
    Ok, if that works for you, do it. I've always felt the way you do about dips about db presses. So do what works.

2 supersets:
    pec-deck flyes 8/10
    flat DB presses 6/8

... I feel like supersetting these 2 will prefatigue my chest that way with the flat DB presses my chest will get hit extremely hard. I am hoping this is what will happen. I am kind of afraid that my chest will be exausted and my delts and tris will take the blunt of the weight. Do you think that I should switch and SS dips then pec-deck? I mean I could try that I just dont think that I would like it.
    If your chest is more exausted than your other muscles that doesn't mean that you delts and tris will take over, it will just mean you will reach failure sooner. As long as you continue to use strict form your chest will get hammered.

Also, I was thinking about the pec-dec. I've never really liked it (always gives me shoulder trouble). Have you considered just db flies instead? Not a big deal, just curious...

lying BB ext. 2 sets 6/8

... This is just a strength guage. If I feel like my tris are getting too beat up from 2 sets Ill just simply drop it down to one. I think Ill be okay though. Somehow dips and all that I dont feel in my tris AT ALL like I am literally always completely fine when it comes time to hit my tris.
    You must have much better form when doing dips than I do, my tris are definetly hurting after a good set (and so is my chest).
    1 superset:
    seated dumbbell overhead ext. 6/8
    close-grip pressdowns 8/10

... Basic tricep superset to really hammer my triceps. I also wanted to include an overhead tricep movement. This should really finish off my triceps well.
    Makes sense, hitting the tris from different angles...
    legs
    leg presses 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    leg ext. 8/10
    smith-machine squats 6/8

... I have a strong feeling that my quads are going to be FLAMED after these movements but oh well.
    Yea, you might have to drop to just 1 SS of leg ext/squats.
    seated leg curls 2 sets 8

2 supersets:
    leg press calf raises 15
    seated calf raises 15

... Hitting my calves hard first with seated calf raises is the way that I had it, but the more I thought about it, seated calf raises for me are more of a finishing exercise. Because my form is kept flawless etc.
    Ok, I don't think you will notice a big difference between which you do first...
    back/biceps/forearms

1 superset:
    DB pullovers 8
    v-bar pulldowns 8

... I know that I am doing 2 vertical row movements here but I think Ill be okay. Curl-grip chins I feel mid-back and deep my lats. Its hard to explain but v-bar pulldowns I feel WAY more in my lats right under my armpits.
    Alright, if you feel one method is better than the other, do it.

1 superset:
    one-arm DB rows 8
    one-arm cable pulls 8

... I cant decide if I should change up this superset. Simply because damn one-arm DB rows never seem to do much for me. I am thinking about maybe switching it up with overhand ez-bar rows SS with seated cable rows. Or something along those lines. Would that be a bad idea..
    I've never really like bent over db rows for some reason so its hard for me to recommend them. Cable rows/bent over bb rows sounds good to me. I don't like doing bb rows with an ez bar because my elbows always hit the plates.

1 superset:
    one-arm DB preacher curls 8
    one-arm cable curls 8

... I think this looks fine.
    In regards to your question about how to SS single arm exercises: I think you should do two sets consecutively on the same arm to achieve the most exaustion (thats the whole point behind the SS). In other words, do db curls with your left, then cable curls with your left, then do your right arm. Or you could avoid this dilema by doing both arms at the same time.
    2 supersets:
    wrist-roller (failure)

... Forearms are my favorite. Thats why I have a little bit more volume here. All of my back work I dont use straps at all, but somehow my grip is COMPLETELY fine when I go to do my forearms. Kinda wierd.
    That does seem kind of wierd. My grip really sucks so I use straps.
    delts/traps/abs

2 supersets:
    machine side-laterals 8/10
    wide-grip upright rows 8/10

... Cant decide if I should drop the machine laterals and just do standard seated or standing DB side-laterals SS with wide-grip upright rows.
    I would do db laterals over machine laterals any day...
    DB shrugs 2 sets 6/8

... Dynamic shrugs SS with DB shrugs you said? I bet that would murder my grip and my traps. And since its forearm day maybe that would be a good idea. Dynamic shrugs are with a BB overhand grip am I correct? I used to do them shoulder-width grip, and shrug the bar with a little more ROM than regular shrugs to around my waist level. Always hit my traps hard.
    Yes, dynamic shrugs are where you do a bb shrug and at the top of the shrug do a partial standing row. This definetly would seem tough on your grip. Straps are my friend.
    2 supersets:
    hanging knee raises 15
    cable crunches 15
    I'm still not quite sure I see the purpose behind all the supersetting. I only really use SSs on my calves and maybe every once in a while on some other body part just to keep myself from getting bored.

Also, what kind of rep tempo are you planning on doing? And are you taking each set to concentric muscular failure?

I was thinking and I am probably just going to stick with this routine until I feel like I am not progressing. And even at that point I might just change up the exercises that I am supersetting ya know? The possibilities with this type of program are endless. Why dont you care for the split, can you recommend one?

Because I too have my pet peeves about splits.. hehe.

Sounds good. As far as splits go, I like...

chest/delt
    back/low back/traps
    off
    quads/hams
    bis/tris

or

chest/bis
    quads/hams
    off
    back/low back/traps
    delts/tris

But this is really an individual thing.

Thanks guys I REALLY appreciate it! Maybe Ill switch the pec-deck for DB flyes... and switch a few others too. Well see. DB flyes usually hurt my damn shoulders.

Re: OPINIONS On My New Program...

1- chest/triceps
    2- legs
    3- rest
    4- back/biceps
    5- delts/traps
    6- rest
    7- rest

EDIT: Switched up Days 5 & 6. Hopefully this will be better giving my delts 2 full days rest before hitting them on chest/tri day.

chest/triceps
    weighted dips 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    pec-deck flyes 8/10
    flat DB presses 6/8

lying BB ext. 2 sets 6/8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable pressdowns 8
    one-arm DB overhead ext. 8

legs
    leg presses 2 sets 6/8

2 supersets:
    leg ext. 8/10
    smith-machine/Zercher/front squats 6/8

seated leg curls 1 set 8

2 supersets:
    seated calf raises 15
    leg press calf raises 15

back/biceps/forearms

1 superset:
    DB pullovers 8
    v-bar pulldowns 8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable pulls 8
    one-arm DB rows 8

1 superset:
    one-arm cable curls 8/10
    concentration curls 8/10

2 supersets:
    wrist-roller (failure)

delts/traps/abs

2 supersets:
    one-arm cable side-laterals 8/10
    one-arm DB side-laterals 8/10

2 supersets:
    DB shrugs 6/8
    close-grip cable upright rows 8/10

... Looking for some HONEST opinions on this program please. Constructive criticism is exactly what I need. Both on the exercises, reps, and the split itself.

... By the way for almost every bodypart, the first exercise, the one thats NOT a superset, is going to be my guage from week to week. This way Ill know if I am progressing or not strength wise.
    do u like cables alot? i noticed u have a lot of cable work. acaully im all about free weights and i dont care to much for cables so try doing a little more free weight instead of the cables , but if u like them cables stick with it man. instead of concentration curls try hammer curls. other than that man ur workout looks ace with a lot of intensity. jus my 2 cents, hope i helped and keep up the good work
    weight: 155?
    height: 5'9"

-LONGER TERM GOALS-
    benchpress: 275x1
    military press: 160x1
    deadlift: 405x1