Thread: Good 40 yard dash time for non-athlete?

Good 40 yard dash time for non-athlete?

I'm curious, I've been timing myself on the 40 yard dash recently, and wanted to improve on my time. I was wondering what is considered a good time for a non-athlete in their early 20's? I was averaging around 4.8-5.

4.8 is good for a non-athlete

anything under 4.5 is mindblowing (fast for a pro and college and rare for a highschool football player)

linebackers and fullbacks in the NFL run around a 4.8

(all 40times for football are hand timed (human error factor) and the clock is started when the runner takes off... opposed to the olympics where the clock starts at the sound of the gun and the runner hears the gun and takes off then [which the reaction time is arouond .13 seconds]

olympic sprinters run around a 3.9,4.0,4.1

the NFL's and NCAA's fastest run around a 4.1,4.2,4.3

highschool football's average fastest kid on the team run 4.4,4.5,4.6 (i run a 4.6 right now finishing my juniior year... i am training to run a 4.4 hopefully in my senior year)

pro linebackers run a 4.5-5.0

4.8 is good if you dont play a sport
    there is a point where you can't get any faster and it is all genetics (usually around 4.4,4.5,4.6,4.7)

sprinting is 50% mental, %10 hard work, %40 genetics
    Last edited by Rocket Reidy; 10-24-2007 at 09:58 AM.
    5"10 - 146lbs

60yd - 6.5s (on grass w/ football cleats)

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Reidy View Post
    4.8 is good for a non-athlete

anything under 4.5 is mindblowing (fast for a pro and college and rare for a highschool football player)

linebackers and fullbacks in the NFL run around a 4.8

(all 40times for football are hand timed (human error factor) and the clock is started when the runner takes off... opposed to the olympics where the clock starts at the sound of the gun and the runner hears the gun and takes off then [which the reaction time is arouond .13 seconds]

olympic sprinters run around a 3.9,4.0,4.1

the NFL's and NCAA's fastest run around a 4.1,4.2,4.3

highschool football's average fastest kid on the team run 4.4,4.5,4.6 (i run a 4.6 right now finishing my juniior year... i am training to run a 4.4 hopefully in my senior year)

pro linebackers run a 4.5-5.0

4.8 is good if you dont play a sport
    there is a point where you can't get any faster and it is all genetics (usually around 4.4,4.5,4.6,4.7)

sprinting is 50% mental, %10 hard work, %40 genetics
    theres not very much "mental" about sprinting. i can be 100% pumped, extremely ready to go and in complete concentration and im not gonna break a 5.2

Quote Originally Posted by prizeoasis View Post
    theres not very much "mental" about sprinting. i can be 100% pumped, extremely ready to go and in complete concentration and im not gonna break a 5.2
    it isnt like being pumped... for example, you are out in the middle of the night, and u get spooked and u start bookin it, you arent thinking about it at all...

you will run alot faster then u will if u get all wound up about to do a sprint

you are out playin football with some friends casually throwing the football around u go long u start bookin it and you dont think about it, u just go, u run alot faster then when u are thinking about it

you will run alot faster then u will if u just go time a sprint

you are on the football field, breaking into the open running with the football, you are thinking about getting into the endzoneand escaping your oponent

you will run alot faster then u will if u just go time yourself in a sprint

there is a new thing called SportPsych
    it means seeing your results and letting your body to the rest

a picher doesnt aim, he just focuses in on the catchers glove and his body does the math in getting it there

sprinting is simalare, you have to view your results...

why cant u bust a 5.2 40? because u know you can't and u are thinking about not being able to bust a 5.2 40... but when u are free and just casually doing something that involves a sprint you are much more relaxed and dont think as much...
    5"10 - 146lbs

out of curiosity, what's your height and weight?

4.8 is very good. Imagine what you can do with sprint training!
    I went to Rhodestown and all I got was this high cholesterol

Wannabebig Member
    Ok the human error element in timing 40's throughout HS and other activities really blows my mind. There are few people in HS who run under a 5.0 real 40... your coaches can tell you whatever but its not accurate at all...
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

our team doesnt time the 40
    idk why our coach has us do 60yd instead
    5"10 - 146lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Steve24 View Post
    Ok the human error element in timing 40's throughout HS and other activities really blows my mind. There are few people in HS who run under a 5.0 real 40... your coaches can tell you whatever but its not accurate at all...
    Exactly. You have to realize the methods your using carry and inherent error of nearly .5 seconds. Just keep that in mind when your comparing a handheld stopwatch to world class times. Even most college athletes arent using equipment that gives real readings, but as long as your comparing apples to apples and improving on your own time then that's what matter.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    Exactly. You have to realize the methods your using carry and inherent error of nearly .5 seconds. Just keep that in mind when your comparing a handheld stopwatch to world class times. Even most college athletes arent using equipment that gives real readings, but as long as your comparing apples to apples and improving on your own time then that's what matter.
    I agree with you completely my man.
    5'11" 175lb
    DL: 375 BP: 255 SQ: 275

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    You are completely right. I've timed myself using a digital camera where I can advance each frame in time to figure out the exact time I ran... and let me tell you... you are completely right. I've been "hand timed" at 4.5-4.6 secs and didn't believe it... because using frame by frame I've only gotten a 4.9.

Another guy I know claims he runs a 4.4... but based upon the digital video I have of him I know how fast he actually runs.
    - rEDfURY
    Powerlifting since Sept 2006
    My PL Training Journal

Philippians 4:13

"To give anything less that your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    out of curiosity, what's your height and weight?

4.8 is very good. Imagine what you can do with sprint training!

5'8" 150 lbs

I'm a pretty decent hs running back (won running back of the week for South Jersey last week : p ) and only run a 4.8, yet somehow i blow by kids that suposedly run 4.5's ... the 40 time is a very meaningless and wrong measurement of speed. The only think I think the 40 is good for is tracking progress (thats also if you have the same person time you and you do multiple sprints to get an avg time). just my .02 .
    5'7

bench - 245 x 2
    squat - 315 x 5
    dl- 355 x 1
    goal - Bigger Faster Stronger