Thread: Is or isn't it a good idea to switch up your routine often?

Hybrid View

Is or isn't it a good idea to switch up your routine often?

I have read that your body adapts, so it is a good idea to switch up your routine often. I have also read that it is best to pick a routine and stick with it.

THen some people say, "as long as your seeing results, then why change." I think that is a pretty worthless piece of advice, because obviousley if your diet etc. is sound you will see some results. I dont think it is anyones goal to get "results". I think what your goal should be is to get the best results you possibly can. I dont want to add muscle, I want to add as much muscle as I possibly can.

With that said, what is better, switching up your routine often, or sticking with a routine for a long period of time?

the_hall-
    You bring up an excellent point man. Thats really what I was thinking when I dropped HST. I mean obviously if your diet is going well than you will get good results no matter what. For example if youre below maintenance calories chances are youll lose fat whether your doing the best training program for your body or the worst. HST had its advantages and disadvantages. I just personally didnt care for the program too much so I went ahead and dropped it. I think that there are better programs, for my body. I could be wrong and obviously time will tell.

... The bottom line is this, try different programs. When you find the split, and the exercises, and the rep scheme that gives you the best results, and feels the best, stick with it. A good example of this is Belial. Same damn split and program for 9 freakin months! And hes still getting results. Hes found what works for him.
    Last edited by MonStar1023; 03-09-2002 at 08:10 PM.

Yeah, thats true about one split working for some people but not others. I used the same split as belial after reading his journal and overtrained my shoulders to death. I went from benching in the 170's for reps to benching in the 150's because my shoulders were fried. It is good to see that belial is still getting results with it though.

the_hall-
    Hehehe uh oh. Thats not too good to hear. Thats the split that I am going to be using. I might switch it up and put 2 days in between my delt and chest sessions. I guess its good that you told me that. I know my delts are one of my best bodyparts and theyre rarely sore...

Who knows.

Here is the split I did and killed my bench. If I recall i got it from belial's journal.

chest/tri's
    rest
    shoulders/traps
    rest
    back/bi's
    legs
    rest

At first it was awesome for my triceps. Actually, it was always awesome for my tri's. But after the very first week my bench started declining (especially my reps) to the point where I had to lower the weight. I was doing like 8 sets for chest though, that may have been the problem as much as the split I was on. All I know is I am not going to ever give my shoulders their own day again. My ******* bench is still weaker than it was like 4 months ago, i have it all in my personal journal.

Thats not the split that I am doing at all.. maybe I was confused or maybe you are who knows. Mine is similar..

1- chest/tris
    2- legs
    3- rest
    4- back/bis
    5- rest
    6- delts/traps
    7- rest

Re: Is or isn't it a good idea to switch up your routine often?

Originally posted by the_hall

With that said, what is better, switching up your routine often, or sticking with a routine for a long period of time?
    BUMP

"as long as your seeing results, then why change."
    Thats right.. but when you STOP seeing results is when it is time to switch it up a bit.. Pick a split that is tried and true for you, then when you stop seeing results, switch it up again...

I would like to throw this out there, and I may be wrong but here goes. If your diet and nutrician along with stress factors are all in order I cannot see how a change in routine will make you grow again. If you plateau on say flat bench what differance is inclines going to make to your chest development. None to me. The problem is elseware.
    " Eat to grow, Progression to get stronger " - mesmall