Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: I think I may have symptoms of an eating disorder

  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12

    I think I may have symptoms of an eating disorder

    I'm a 24 year old male, 5'11''. I am about 168 lbs. My acceptable body fat (12% to 16%) range is from 173 to 182 lbs (I got it tested). My maintenance is around 2400 calories a day.

    6 out of 7 days of the week, I basically try to maintain 2400 calories and no more. When breakfast, lunch, and dinner come around, I try to focus on consuming no more than 600 calories and feel somewhat guilty if I consume more. Then I have 3 snack meals around 200 calories each. I feel somewhat guilty however if I go to 300. But I'm basically counting calories at every meal.

    Then, one day out of the week, when I do decide to give myself an occasional bad food, I'll have some and feel like I need to indulge in more sweets, etc that I have prohibited myself. So I may have a piece of cake. But then that's not good enough. I go and get ice cream, eat a candy bar, eat a cupcake, have another snack, another one, etc. I basically give myself a net calorie surplus of 1500, 2500, or (on rare occasions) 3500 calories. It feels like I'm releasing all this pressure that I had in the past week.

    Then I get on the scale and it looks like I gained 3 pounds (even though much of that weight is just water weight and the weight of food in general). So during the next week, I go back to 2400 calories a day and then like 5 out 7 days of the week I'll go on 4-10 mile walks to get rid of the excess fat that I stored.
    Last edited by genius2687; 09-24-2007 at 06:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by genius2687 View Post
    I'm a 24 year old male, 5'11''. I am about 168 lbs. My acceptable body fat (12% to 16%) range is from 173 to 182 lbs (I got it tested). My maintenance is around 2400 calories a day.

    6 out of 7 days of the week, I basically try to maintain 2400 calories and no more. When breakfast, lunch, and dinner come around, I try to focus on consuming no more than 600 calories and feel somewhat guilty if I consume more. Then I have 3 snack meals around 200 calories each. I feel somewhat guilty however if I go to 300. But I'm basically counting calories at every meal.

    Then, one day out of the week, when I do decide to give myself an occasional bad food, I'll have some and feel like I need to indulge in more sweets, etc that I have prohibited myself. So I may have a piece of cake. But then that's not good enough. I go and get ice cream, eat a candy bar, eat a cupcake, have another snack, another one, etc. I basically give myself a net calorie surplus of 1500, 2500, or (on rare occasions) 3500 calories. It feels like I'm releasing all this pressure that I had in the past week.

    Then I get on the scale and it looks like I gained 3 pounds (even though much of that weight is just water weight and the weight of food in general). So during the next week, I go back to 2400 calories a day and then like 5 out 7 days of the week I'll go on 4-10 mile walks to get rid of the excess fat that I stored.

    Yeah, I think you are a bit too obsessive. I would recommend talking to someone about it.

  3. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1
    I used to be the same way around food. I have anxiety problems and just recently starting taking medicine for it, prescribed for me by a shrink, and it has helped me out immensly.
    I no longer get anxious every time i eat, i know that food will always be around, and if i eat too much of it i will just be uncomfortable and will regret it.
    If you have any questions PM me, i'm glad to help..

  4. #4
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    12
    I've heard that counting calories is not necessarily a good idea. Is it ok to eat until you are full if you are taking in mostly healthy foods such as carrots, whole grains, skim milk, etc? I'm just afraid of pushing my calorie intake to 400 extra calories a day and gaining fat weight in the process. I take 2400 calories a day because that is what most calorie estimator tools recommend for my status. And yes I do have an active lifestyle (as I mentioned walking long distances in my first post).

    Many times though I do feel more tired and hungry as well. If I eat more food, I don't feel that. Yet I am afraid that by eating extra food, this will cause me to gain weight. I mean late at night, I really could go for an extra whole wheat sandwich, or a lean steak, but I don't want to put on unnecessary pounds.

    I used to be 230 lbs. That was back in June of 2006. Through diet and exercise, I got down to 170 in a 12 month period. I wish to maintain this level of 170 lbs though.

    Although I've heard that the body does naturally adjust to a greater calorie intake.

  5. #5
    Wannabebig Member pwrliftersgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    0
    I think you are a little obsessed as well. Altho, carbs is what you need to look at....not calories. Carbs turn to sugar but that is JMO

  6. #6
    Wannabebig Member bigassd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    11
    actually what you're doing is part of a pretty well known diet plan called having a cheat day.

    It should actually be pretty good for you to replenish your glycogen and reset your metabolic clock with a surplus of calories.

    So now just continue doing it and instead of feeling guilty just feel like its part of your plan.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    285
    Sounds like you definitely have some compulsions about your diet. I am inclined to agree with bigassd's post above, and I would also suggest eliminating your "guilt walks". First of all, walking is not very useful to someone who is bodybuilding or powerlifting. Second of all, the whole psychological aspect of you feeling compelled to burn off these calories that you perceive as unneeded is not healthy. I mean look, if you are simply trying to maintain a decent body weight and your body is constantly telling you that it's hungry, chances are you're under eating! It's not rocket science. If I were you I would be trying to weigh in somewhere around 175 and I would eat healthy foods whenever hungry. If I started weighing in closer to 180 I would back off the food a bit until I got back down to 175. If you follow something simple like that and train hard in the gym your body will thank you and you'll probably feel better psychologically.

    You can accomplish your goals without obsessing. =)

  8. #8
    Team Chesticles! Unholy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    3,880
    Quote Originally Posted by pwrliftersgirl View Post
    I think you are a little obsessed as well. Altho, carbs is what you need to look at....not calories. Carbs turn to sugar but that is JMO
    Terrible advice.
    5'11" 185lbs 9% BF
    S/D/B PR's 445x1, 495x5, 335x1......Looking to get stronger and do a PL Meet this summer!
    Chronological Picture Thread 2005-Current
    Pro Status or Bust..2011

    At Large Nutrition, Optimize YOUR body!

  9. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by artisan View Post
    I used to be the same way around food. I have anxiety problems and just recently starting taking medicine for it, prescribed for me by a shrink, and it has helped me out immensly.
    ..
    ****.. They make pills for everything now...i never thought eating food could lead to anxiety problems and then start taking Clomazipam, or prozac (guessing) to cure my obessions for food..Maybe it's just me, but I count calories to ensure I'm getting my proteins mostly and even someone doesn't get the right caloric/protein,fat etc. intake, the world isn't going to end, make up for it the next day..? Just my opinion.. =/

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    12
    It's not good for our health

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by genius2687 View Post
    I'm a 24 year old male, 5'11''. I am about 168 lbs. My acceptable body fat (12% to 16%) range is from 173 to 182 lbs (I got it tested). My maintenance is around 2400 calories a day.

    6 out of 7 days of the week, I basically try to maintain 2400 calories and no more. When breakfast, lunch, and dinner come around, I try to focus on consuming no more than 600 calories and feel somewhat guilty if I consume more. Then I have 3 snack meals around 200 calories each. I feel somewhat guilty however if I go to 300. But I'm basically counting calories at every meal.

    Then, one day out of the week, when I do decide to give myself an occasional bad food, I'll have some and feel like I need to indulge in more sweets, etc that I have prohibited myself. So I may have a piece of cake. But then that's not good enough. I go and get ice cream, eat a candy bar, eat a cupcake, have another snack, another one, etc. I basically give myself a net calorie surplus of 1500, 2500, or (on rare occasions) 3500 calories. It feels like I'm releasing all this pressure that I had in the past week.

    Then I get on the scale and it looks like I gained 3 pounds (even though much of that weight is just water weight and the weight of food in general). So during the next week, I go back to 2400 calories a day and then like 5 out 7 days of the week I'll go on 4-10 mile walks to get rid of the excess fat that I stored.
    I don't think you're even close to having an eating disorder lol. I'm gonna go on a limb and presume you've never met someone with a real eating disorder. Your situation is pretty normal in all honesty.

    Quote Originally Posted by genius2687 View Post
    I've heard that counting calories is not necessarily a good idea. Is it ok to eat until you are full if you are taking in mostly healthy foods such as carrots, whole grains, skim milk, etc?
    Why wouldn't counting calories be a good idea? If you're concerned with a particular bodyweight then counting calories is an excellent idea. It's only a bad idea if you do not care what your weight is, as you'd just be wasting your time counting calories.

    Is it okay to eat healthy til you're full? Sure, it's 'ok'. I don't really get your question, but I think you're asking if it'll give you the same results as counting them - if that's your question, then no, just eating to your full won't give the same results as counting calories.


    Quote Originally Posted by bigassd View Post
    actually what you're doing is part of a pretty well known diet plan called having a cheat day.

    It should actually be pretty good for you to replenish your glycogen and reset your metabolic clock with a surplus of calories.

    So now just continue doing it and instead of feeling guilty just feel like its part of your plan.
    werd!


    Quote Originally Posted by pwrliftersgirl View Post
    I think you are a little obsessed as well. Altho, carbs is what you need to look at....not calories. Carbs turn to sugar but that is JMO


    Quote Originally Posted by mr.giggles View Post
    ****.. They make pills for everything now...i never thought eating food could lead to anxiety problems and then start taking Clomazipam, or prozac (guessing) to cure my obessions for food..Maybe it's just me, but I count calories to ensure I'm getting my proteins mostly and even someone doesn't get the right caloric/protein,fat etc. intake, the world isn't going to end, make up for it the next day..? Just my opinion.. =/
    haha that's nothing new, they've made pills for everything for a long time!

    clonazepam (not clomazipam) is an axiolytic medication, but it's not that new, and even before that (and the whole benzodiazepine family) came out, it was just the barbituate family. Benzos are just better, and the actual chemicals are new, but the pill for anxiety is not.

    Same for prozac. SSRI's are newer, but before those you had maoi's and other things as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by mary123 View Post
    It's not good for our health
    ...huh?
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  12. #12
    Get your tickets... Gunshow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    0
    Man, you are just overthinking your diet way too much. If you need to count calories to reach your target weight, then thats what you should do... don't obsess if you are 100 or 200 cals off one day of the week though.. I'm bulking right now and i don't count calories or macros all i know is i eat 4000 or more cals... a **** load of protein and a **** load of carbs... i try not to eat alot of bad fats.... and i eat whenever i see some food lol...and so far its working beautifully.. if i see im gaining too much fat then i will track my cals for a week or so... see where i am, and reduce a bit of what i'm eating to hopefully fix the problem... i don't think you have an eating disorder you just think about it too much... By the way what are your goals? gain weight? cut?
    Under Construction...

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    I think most people in this thread haven't been checking it back cuz I asked a few questions a couple posts ago and nobody has replied lol!
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  14. #14
    Senior Member smalls's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    0
    Yeah it's a little old, but I pretty much agree with jdeity's post and disagree with damn near everything else that was said in this thread.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

    "Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

    "If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    285
    I like replying to old threads that nobody cares about.

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    it's even better when you take it completely off topic.

    What're ya'll doing for halloween
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    285
    Celebrating the Red Sox WS victory!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    I was going to go to a swinger's club but dunno if that's gonna happen anymore, damnit!!
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    285
    Speaking of swingers clubs, my avatar is from Halloween 2006. lol

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    0
    I don't get how that's swinger, I'm confused lol

    Swinging is trading partners, the picture (sorry if I'm wrong) lookslike a guy dressed in drag..
    Go now, run along and tell your xerxes he faces free men here, not slaves

Similar Threads

  1. Whats this eating clean Bull ****
    By eddie500 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 05:52 PM
  2. I have poor self control / eating disorder...
    By natediesel in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 01:38 AM
  3. Woman Arrested for eating at DC train station
    By geoffgarcia in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-30-2004, 08:09 PM
  4. Eating for Power from E-normous
    By pittbull7 in forum Diet and Nutrition
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 11:13 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •