Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Taking Back What is Mine

Get some:

1. sugar free nesquik mix

2. rice dream milk or soy milk

Use that egg powder in there and you are good to go.

Maybe add some splenda too.

Schaedle
    I appreciate the advice! Though looking through my wonderful book I find that soybean products is a no go. Haven't heard of the rice milk though and I'll have to look into what it is made with.

The nesquik is tough call. I'll have to look at it because the book does say... Cocoa powder and some dark chocolates are allowed! Damn would that be nice!

As far as the powdered eggs whites... is there something I should use other than plan powdered egg whites? Like I said in the other thread my time on this diet is running low so it is not quite a big concern at this point. But you can bet I'll be coming to you for food advice once I'm off the diet.

12/04/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours
    *Diet/Intake: same old, though adding more egg whites

Workout - Back
    Dead lifts: 8x135, 8x185, 5x225, 6x275 (last set split grip)
    Pull-ups: BWx10
    Barbell Rows: 8x115, 6x125 (both UH grip)
    Pull downs: 130x8, 145x6
    Preacher Curls: 8x75
    DB Curls: 5x35s (neutral grip)

Next go I'll add a touch more volume and rack pulls. The DLs were getting tough because of my grip giving out so last set I had to use split grip instead of double overhand. Overall I was very happy. I was fearing that my back would of suffered more than my other lifts which did not seem to be the case!

My Life

Ordered Lyles protein book and hoping it comes in any day now...
    My Journal - Taking Back What is Mine
    5'11" 204 lbs
    Recovering from 2 fractured vertebrae and thyroid cancer

12/06/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 6 hours, +1 hour nap
    *Weight: 184
    *Diet/Intake: Hopefully enough

Workout - Chest

*DB Bench: 8x45s, 6x65s, 6x70s, 6x75s, 5x80s
    *BB Seated Military: 6x95, 3x115
    *DB military: 6x50s
    *Hammer Strength Incline: 6x140, 3x190, 4x190
    *Tried some Tricep work but was too hosed.

My Life
    Done with exams! Yessss! Also tomorrow I'm hoping the protein book comes in; I'm bored and want something to read. Otherwise everything is fine, had an hour long scan of the diagnostic dose of the iodine... which is where the nap came in.

Alright, off to bed!

-TC
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/07/07

Workout - Legs
    *Squats
    *Hammer Strength Squats
    *Good Mornings: need to work on form or flexibility... did not feel like I was doing them properly either way.
    *Leg Curls
    *Leg Extensions

My Life

Felt like crap this day and day after both mentally and physically which is why I did not post the day of the workout and don't remember the exact sets/reps anymore.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-09-2007 at 10:47 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/09/07

Basics

*Sleep: 11 hours
    *Weight: 184 (not bad, no food really today)
    *Diet/Intake: Almost nothing so far... gonna go pick up some lean beef patties

Workout - Back
    *Preacher Curls: 10x55, 8x75
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x305 (split grip)
    *Rack Pulls: 2x365, 2x365 (grip was definitely the problem, bar was killing my hands... )
    *Pull-ups: BWx8
    *Pull-downs: 145x6, 6x160
    *Barbell Rows (UH grip): 6x135, 6x135

My Life
    Feeling better both physically and emotionally. Not sure why but couple days again I was out of it. I was totally sick of my diet, felt like ****, and didn't want to do anything. I'm gonna blame my extremely low thyroid levels for all this madness. I have to admit though... back day always gets me fired up. Definitely my favorite day in the gym, thank you deadlifts!

Protein book (Lyle) arrived Friday and I've been reading bits of it so far. Amazing! VERY extensive book and well worth the money if your interested in the science aspect of nutrition and athletics.

**Tomorrow I find out about the extent of my cancer, if you would pray for me tonight.
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/10/07

Workout - Light Chest
    *Worked out with some friends and because of the hard back the day before volume and intensity was low.
    *Light biking afterwards, 5 miles/25 min.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/11/07

My Life

Not in a good mood at all. The doctor suggested last week I go to get a sperm count and have some banked as the radiation tomorrow could cause me to become infertile. Either way through exams I didn't give it a thought and now my options are to roll the dice and just not do it, or put off the radiation another week or more. Both options suck. I know the smart thing would be to wait if I can't get in for storage tomorrow morning but I am going to mentally break down big time if I deal with this **** much longer; another week sounds like eternity.

-TC
    5'11" 204 lbs

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Good **** in here except for the powdered egg whites.

No matter what happens keep THIS journal. it'll mean so much to go back and see the beginning. I'll be watching.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Hatred
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    Good **** in here except for the powdered egg whites.
    Ya I can't agree more, have you ever tried that crap? Maybe it is because I got the plain stuff but sweet lord never again.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred View Post
    No matter what happens keep THIS journal. it'll mean so much to go back and see the beginning. I'll be watching.
    Thanks for watching! More people to make sure I don't slack the better! I can honestly say that already it has been nice to look back at all that has happened!

12/13/07

Basics
    *Sleep: Worst in a long time... let me explain. First, because of the radioactive iodine (which I took yesterday) every 3 hours I have to chew some gum to get out my saliva (can absorb iodine and have adverse effects) brush all of my mouth to get it out and use the restroom, even through the night. That and I think something is causing insomnia because I just could not get to sleep!
    *Diet/Intake: .... .... I'M OFF THE DIET, MWUHAHAHAHA YESSS! So you can expect today to be over maintenance finally.

Workout
    *Inclined bench with DB over head for tri's: 8x45, 7x65, 5x75
    *Cybex Cable machine Tri's: 8x8.5, 7x10.5, 5x12.5
    *Hammer Strength Bench: 5x270
    *Preacher Curls: 8x75, 8x85, 5x95
    *Grip: Held 95 DBs for long as possible.

Ya ya, a crappy newbie lifting day... I don't want to hear though! Was low volume and was just targeting a couple areas that were lagging since I didn't feel it would be a great day to go super heavy due to radio activeness and the waking every 3 hours.

My Life
    A lot has happened in the past day. I was able to get into the sperm bank yesterday morning which frankly was one of the most awkward feelings in the world for reasons that I doubt anyone would care to read about. It was important because If I didn't get in, my treatment would of been postponed most likely at least another week. Not only did I just want to get on with the treatment, but postponing would move it close to Christmas and if I was on that diet another day I was going to breakdown. It sucked. Obviously went through treatment, and also had the hardest time getting to sleep I've had in months. Good news is I ended up reading 2 hours of Lyle McDonald's new protein book! I'll be making posts about it shortly.

Anyways, being radioactive means for a week I need to limit the time I am closer than 3 feet to pregnant women, children, and pets. With adults it is just a time/distance thing; doesn't matter if I touch anyone obviously but I can't sit by them day in and day out over the week.
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-13-2007 at 10:49 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/15/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 6 hours, crappy... looking forward to goodness tonight!
    *Diet/Intake: lots of dirty, delicious over maintenance calories
    *Weight: 189 (up from food and started some creatine)

Workout - Chest, little shoulders
    *BB Bench: 8x95, 6x135, 4x185, 4x185, 1x205
    *Incline Hammer Strength: 6x180, 6x200
    *DB Military: 7x55's, 6x60's
    *Side Lat Raises: 6x20's, 6x25's
    *Front Lat Raises: 8x25's
    *Abs: Incline sit-ups with arms over head.

Kind of torn about what to do. My BB bench has really suffered but I am not sure that it is because of my chest strength. I'm finding the particular lift to be a problem maybe because of my back injury? Compared to what I use to do BB bench is far behind compared to DB bench and Hammer Strength machines which have not had such a drop.

My Life

Started back on my synthroid which should really help get me moving. 2.5 weeks ago my levels were already really low. Being off the hormone since then for treatment has made it even worse... so heres hoping!
    5'11" 204 lbs

12/17/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 11 hours (lazy POS I know)
    *Weight: 188
    *Diet: Still on the eat whatever as long as I know I'm over maintenance

Workout - Back
    *Deadlifts: 8x135, 6x185, 4x225, 6x275 (split grip), 5x315 (split grip... easy!)
    *Rack Pulls: 2x405, 3x405
    *Pull-ups: 6xBW (wide grip)
    *Pull-downs: 7x145, 6x160
    *BB rows (UH): 7x135, 6x135
    *Preacher Curls: 6x75 (was going to do a harder set after but my forearms KILLED)

Alright, I just have to throw something out here... I FREAKING LOVE BACK DAYS! There. I said it. Pretty much every set today I left a couple reps in the tank which I am hoping will pay off for the next round. That and I am so happy with my deadlifts! 315 was feeling easy... and to think 3 months ago I was just getting out of the hospital with 2 fractured vertebrae and a rib

My Life
    Question of the day: Why do people at the Rec wear a sleeveless shirt slit ALL the way down to the bottom with a wife beater?
    Last edited by TopCat; 12-18-2007 at 11:23 PM.
    5'11" 204 lbs

http://www.roseacre.com/

Here's that link I promised ya. It will probabaly taste like ass as well, but in one of those fruit/oat/milk/splenda shakes, you can't taste it one bit.

And to anyone keeping tabs on this journal, this guy has picture f-ing perfect deadlifts, and considering the path he unwillingly took to get here, that's pretty f-ing sweet.

(I saw and talked to him tonight at UC's recreation center)

Truly and inspiration

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Assuming we implement the basis of our discussion tonight about what Lyle wrote pertaining to protein sources ....

Egg Whites:
    10 lbs
    $62.50
    3888 grams protein

Blend/Nitrean( used for example only):
    10 lbs
    $106.50
    3360 grams protein

With the fact that blends are primarily whey-based, we can assume that the digestion and absorption of both the egg and the blend are roughly the same. (with focus on the "big picture" of diet)

That leaves over $40 spent for taste and flavor and vitamins, ultimately getting less potein per dollar.

Assuming that the powder is used in a fruit shake as described above (undetectable taste) the taste issue is nonexistant, as is the issue about digestion/absorption since the shake consists of milk.

Last edited by Slim Schaedle; 12-17-2007 at 08:32 PM.

Schaedle

Oh jeez, that stuff does look like what I tried! However, it is very possible that orange juice was not to mask the taste... or it is different which might be true also! I might have to bug ya for a bit to test before making the plunge. Thanks for the kind words as well. I hope that this journal will not only be a source of inspiration for myself, but others.

12/18/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 9 hours
    *Diet: Crap, and thus I feel crappy. Tomorrow I'm getting non-CRAPPY food a.k.a no pizza or skyline.

Workout - Legs
    *BB Squats: 8x135, 7x185, 7x225
    *Hammer Strength Squats: 6x270, 4x360, 4x360
    *Leg Curls: 8x130, 6x150, 5x170
    *Calves: 10x135, 8x180, 6x180

Got there late and the Rec closes early so I really didn't have a whole lot of time. However, I got in a little of everything I wanted to. For those of you reading this... if you have a suggestion for upping the volume on my legs days let me know!

My Life
    Alright. Time to get my ass in gear.

There are things I want to do or need to do both in regards to lifting and life that are just not getting done. Regarding lifting I need to get serious about my eating habits again and should plan on getting some pictures taken. Never had any taken specifically for marking progress, but I already wish I had some from a month ago and can only guess in 3+ months it will be nice. Other things in my life include thank you notes, Christmas shopping, and cleaning my disgusting room.

For those of you taking time to read (which really I appreciate ) my journal, keep me accountable. I'm giving myself the day after Christmas at the latest for getting my diet together. If I don't meet it, call me out. Something like "TC get your **** together" will suffice.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Hey man, proper respect to you for getting into the gym with all the drama in your life. I'm sorry to hear about the cancer, but it looks like your a pretty strong guy despite the radiation therapy AND spinal injuries on top of that. Proper respect also for jerking off in a strange place - I'm not sure I could do that, although I have had to go to the hospital so some dude I didn't know could smear goo all over my nuts, with another guy watching. LOL!

I hate it when the rec closes early. Damn, did you ever work out in the old rec? That ****ing place closed early like every other day.

bjohnso
    Quote Originally Posted by bjohnso View Post
    although I have had to go to the hospital so some dude I didn't know could smear goo all over my nuts, with another guy watching. LOL!
    Haha, thats sounds like my story of getting a catheter after my wreck. Except it was every nurse on the floor trying... 3rd type is a charm apparently, very embarrassing.

I hate it when the rec closes early. Damn, did you ever work out in the old rec? That ****ing place closed early like every other day.
    The pit? Not a lot. I started getting serious about lifting the year before they closed it but I was working out at the YMCA in blue ash because every time I went to the pit it was packed.

12/20/07

Basics
    *Sleep: 10 hours
    *Weight: 192
    *Diet: Hoping to get some fitday posted.

Half alarmed about the weight, but not totally. Today I actually ate a lot of my food before working out rather than afterwards. Also I am still thinking the creatine is playing a part of that.

Workout - Chest/Shoulders
    *DB Bench: 8x45's, 6x55's, 6x65's, 6x75's, 5x85's
    *DB seated Military: 6x50's, 6x55's, 8x60's
    *Hammer Strength Incline: 6x180, 4x200
    *BB Shrugs: 225x6, 225x12
    *Front/Side Lat Raises: 6x25's each
    *Tricep Work: 2 sets of 8 reps

PR on my DB bench ! I never went hard on my DB bench in the past, but still I don't think I ever used the 85's. I think in a week or two I am going to just consider this journal a new start and recording PR's regardless of the past since I can't specifically remember a lot of old stuff.

My Life
    I'm exhausted from the workout today... and loving it. Also pretty pumped about the DB bench today. Hoping to get a spotter for BB bench so I can get that back together.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Awesome DB bench. Pretty soon you'll be using those hudreds (the ones that are all bent from idiots dropping them). Then you'll have to find a new gym that has bigger dumbells. About the spotter - just ask someone. I've never been turned down 1 single time in 4 years at UC.

Awesome DB bench. Pretty soon you'll be using those hudreds (the ones that are all bent from idiots dropping them.
    haha

no ****

****ers

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Schaedle View Post
    haha

no ****

****ers
    Those dumbells suck anyway.

I was told they were looking to replace them all, but that obviously isnt happening.

The whole floor is caving/bent/warped significantly in near the 2 back-wall squat racks, and has been getting worse for 1.5 years, so that shows what kind of urgency in out into the free weight area.

But damnit....we have a climbing wall and hot tubs!

I was told they were looking to replace them all, but that obviously isnt happening.

The whole floor is caving/bent/warped significantly in near the 2 back-wall squat racks, and has been getting worse for 1.5 years, so that shows what kind of urgency in out into the free weight area.

But damnit....we have a climbing wall and hot tubs!
    I haven't noticed the floor by the squat racks. I hate those dumbells because the handles are fat in the middle. That's dumb.

Slim & bjohnso
    Seriously, don't we all wish. Those things are beat to ****. You know they are bad when you turn the heads before using them. I personally think the 65's are the worst. You know the one in particular that feels like one head is about to come off? I mean when I do my DB bench I'll lower them to a couple inches off the ground and then drop em. I assume that what I do shouldn't harm them. I always thought the DB's are jacked from those guys that just throw them after inclines...

You know I noticed that the other day, I just never put things together. I saw the wall and then of course I notice every time I do deadlifts over there it is much easier to slide 45's off the right side of the bar compared to the left.

12/20/07

Basics

*Sleep: 9 hours
    *Diet: breakfast was a wholewheat bagel w/ creamcheese and 50g protein shake made with milk. Lunch burger king (ugh was out shopping most of the day, had little choice), now having a massive shake.

Workout - Light Back & Heavy Arms
    *Pull-ups: BWx8x7x7
    *BB Rows: 7x135, 10x95
    *Preacher Curls: 8x75
    *Neutral DB Curls: 6x35's, 6x35's, 3x40's

Got to the Rec at a normal hour.... which means I had 30 minutes to lift before it closed . Either way it worked out as I wanted to continue semi-deloading my back so I can hit it hard in a week. Should note that tonight again preacher curls killed my forearms (and kill = lots of pain) so I switched to the neutrals.

My Life

Tomorrow I am heading out of town and will be back Sunday sometime, hopefully with enough time to squeeze in my leg workout.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    [B]

You know I noticed that the other day, I just never put things together.
    I brought a level in one day.

I'm not an architect but it's pretty bad

I even showed Glen (in admin) long time ago.

Short of riping up the building and doing some reconstruction, I am not sure there is much they could do.

I suggested maybe not putting squat racks there, because I beieve the uneven floor is not safe, but that didn't go to far either.

That space would be great for the curl jockeys

I've noticed that at some places the plates are easy to load while deadlifting, but other than that I didn't think it was that bad (haven't been there in 4 months though). The gym I'm at now has a horribly uneven floor.

12/23/07

Basics

*Sleep: A lot, 10+
    *Weight: 192
    *Diet: Still nothing great. Trying to up my protein.

Workout - Legs, low volume
    *BB Squats: 8x95, 6x135, 6x185, 6x225, 4x245, 4x265
    *Practiced Form for Hack Squats
    *Leg Curls: 8x150, 6x170
    *Calve Raises: 10x135, 8x180, 8x180
    *Abs

Last set of squats might not have been all the way to parallel, maybe an inch above. Which leads me to a question I never thought about. What is considered parallel? I always assumed the top of my quad, although I guess it could be the center of my leg or even hamstring. If you reading this and know the technical answer please let me know. Other note is that on the second set of leg curls I started to arch my back; not sure if I should be doing that weight.

My Life

Time at my step-mothers fathers/step-mothers was pretty lame. 7 hours of driving to watch a dvd, play 2 games of aggravation, and sleep a ton. If it wasn't such an extended part of my family I would of enjoyed spending the time there a bit more.
    5'11" 204 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by TopCat View Post
    Last set of squats might not have been all the way to parallel, maybe an inch above. Which leads me to a question I never thought about. What is considered parallel? I always assumed the top of my quad, although I guess it could be the center of my leg or even hamstring. If you reading this and know the technical answer please let me know.
    Found the answer myself. Looking through some of the squat Rx videos in the bodybuilding & weightlifting section I stumbled upon Squat Rx #4 which tells us that for power lifting it is the knee compared to the crease at the hip.... which I was not really looking at. However at the 7:30 mark he shows gives an example of when parallel and ATF are not much different when a narrow stance is used, like I do. I'm guessing last set might have been close if not parallel.

Either way great learning experience.
    5'11" 204 lbs